Dumb and dangerous idea of the day

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Just made the jump into rechargeable 18650s for use in a Malkoff Hound Dog. I have two of them one the takes 4 primary 123s and one that takes 3 primary 123s.

I know that two 18650s will work in the 4 cell unit, but the bright idea entered my head and I though "could I use 1 18650 and 1 primary 123 cell in the Hound Dog that takes 3 123 cell?"

Is this a no no, and should I just find another 4 cell body or get some rechargeable 123s? Also hoped to use two 18650s in a surefire with a m-91 Malkoff conversion, and after thinking about it realized that they won't fit without boring out. seems like a big bother.

Are rechargable 123 cells any good in a three or four cell application?

I feel really dumb about LiIon rechargeables.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Definitely not good, only used match cells be them 18650 or 123 etc, but never 18650 and 123 together!.

Worth having a little read up(have a search on here or battery university) , just a little reading up;)..............no need to spend days!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you get two 18500 cells for the M3 HD? - that'll work.
You should never mix different capacity cells as current will flow from one cell to another, causing heat in the cells.
P

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
While you guys are being so helpful, I guess I might as well get them all figured out. 2 x 18500 will take care of each of my Malkoffs that take three primary 123s. what do I do with surefire 6p bodies and 9p bodies, 2 and 4 cells respectively running m61 malkoff leds, and m61sho led coversions?

All this rechargeable stuff and sizes is driving me nuts. I am just about through with messing with primaries.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you guys are being so helpful, I guess I might as well get them all figured out. 2 x 18500 will take care of each of my Malkoffs that take three primary 123s. what do I do with surefire 6p bodies and 9p bodies, 2 and 4 cells respectively running m61 malkoff leds, and m61sho led coversions?

All this rechargeable stuff and sizes is driving me nuts. I am just about through with messing with primaries.
With the 6P, you can run one 16650/17650 with no problem. To continue to use incan lamps, get one of the xx-4 incan drop ins from Lumens Factory. They are designed for that particular setup. Also, almost any LED D26/P60 drop in will work with one rechargeable. For the 9P (three CR123 body) you can use two 16500/17500 cells with the P90/P91 lamps, or again and LED drop in capable of handling two rechargeable cells.

There is a good thread on replacing a P91 module going in the Incandescent Forum right now. You might want to drop over there and scan it as well.

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
Don't think I will ever go back to incandescent, and can't see the point anymore of boring out bodies. I still have my surefire incan bulbs and reflectors but can't go back to them.

Any particular brands that seem better than others? I assume they are all available as protected cells.

thanks for all the recharge help.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boring is good for giving you a better selection of higher capacity and higher amp 18650 cells. Under normal usage, there isn't to much of a advantage. But if you have a flame thrower and or are away from recharging or battery swap conditions, then its good to go with the max cell capacity.