Xtar mc1 plus with iPhone 6 wall adapter?

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
As title says can I use these together? Or with other cellphone adapter that uses 1A output?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should work if can truly deliver 1A. You'll need 1A or better for this charger. Read HKG's review for more information...

I think that the iPhone 6 has a 2.4w wall wart. My GF has the big Six and it requires 2.1A. I have their 2.4A block to power my Xtar VC4, so the OP's WW should work with the MC1+, which I also have.

Chris

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
I tried with a friends Samsung adapter 5v 1A and that didn't work. The charger lit up green but wouldn't charge the battery.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried with a friends Samsung adapter 5v 1A and that didn't work. The charger lit up green but wouldn't charge the battery.

I noticed once that when I inserted a 'mostly' charged Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mAh cell into my MC1+, it wouldn't charge, even though it should have started. I think I ran it down some in my ZL SC600 and the charger fired right up, but it had me scratching my head, thinking that I had a bad cable, or USB socket.

Chris

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
Hm.. Just tried with my iPhone adapter and it wouldn't charge a battery with 4.13v but with a battery that was at 4.03v worked fine.

Maybe it considered the 4.13v as full?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm.. Just tried with my iPhone adapter and it wouldn't charge a battery with 4.13v but with a battery that was at 4.03v worked fine.

I don't think that it should, but I think that's what mine did. Maybe a quirk in the auto sensing charge rate sensor, or just the way they designed it, I don't know?

I'll probably test it out some more and see if you're onto something with the with the SOC level and whether it turns on, or not.

I can see 4.19v, even 4.18v being viewed as 'fully charged,' but not 4.13v.

Anyhow, it works pretty well once it starts charging.

Chris

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
I drained the 4.13v down to 4.07v and then it worked. Will see if it charges relatively close 4.20v

Maybe I'll have to email Xtar and ask them what's going on. Alternatively ask HKJ.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drained the 4.13v down to 4.07v and then it worked. Will see if it charges relatively close 4.20v

Maybe I'll have to email Xtar and ask them what's going on. Alternatively ask HKJ.

Remember, some Xtar chargers tend to slightly undercharge healthy cells, say 4.18v/4.19v, as a rule.

As cells age, or lose capacity, they can charge up to a lower voltage, so that's not the charger's fault.

OK, I just tried two AW IMR 16340s over 3.5 years old and are quite tired, but still work on lower modes.

#1 charged up to 4.15v on my Rat Shack 22-805 DMM would NOT trigger the MC1+, even after moving the slider back and forth and unplugging/replugging it.

#2 charged up to 4.13v and would NOT trigger the MC1+.

I'm trying to discharge them down slowly, to see at what voltage the Xtar kicks in at.

Chris

ETA: Looks like 4.06 kicked in, so now I'm shooting for 4.11v to see if 4.10v is the cut-in mark.

light-wolff

Newly Enlightened
This is normal behaviour of chargers with TP4056 or TP4057 chip like MC1 or MC1+. The charger resumes charging only if battery voltage is below a certain threshold (somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1V). This is to avoid false restarts when battery voltage drops after regular termination.

If you power the charger up with battery already inserted you can defeat this and restart charging as long as battery voltage is less than float voltage.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

Thats because the charge reset when on is at 4.0v. Once you install the battery, cycle the power [unplug it, plug it back in] and it should charge normally. All six of my Xtar charges exhibit this behavior

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats because the charge reset when on is at 4.0v. Once you install the battery, cycle the power [unplug it, plug it back in] and it should charge normally. All six of my Xtar charges exhibit this behavior

I've got the WP2 II, the MC1+, the XP1, the VP2, the MP1S and the VC4 and the only one that does what my MC1+ does, is...well...the MC1+.

Not a problem for me knowing what I know from this thread, but a bit inconvenient when wanting to top off a somewhat fresh cell.

Chris

uofaengr

Enlightened
This is normal behaviour of chargers with TP4056 or TP4057 chip like MC1 or MC1+. The charger resumes charging only if battery voltage is below a certain threshold (somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1V). This is to avoid false restarts when battery voltage drops after regular termination.

If you power the charger up with battery already inserted you can defeat this and restart charging as long as battery voltage is less than float voltage.

I believe I remember seeing this in the manual that came with the MC1+