looking for a good 9v li ion or nimh battery for farm grain moisture tester

chewy78

Enlightened
I was looking at the tenergy centura 9v nimhs or li ion 9v batterys. Also was looking at ipower or ebl. I have a case ih grain moisture tester that i think takes 2 9 volt batteries, 2 dmms, a compact hot shot cattle prod that takes 2 9v batteries, and a delmhorst bale moisture tester . Anybody have experience with the lithium 9v batteries in particular? Are the tenergy, and ebl li ions- lithium poly ? Are those any good? If i go nimh i would get the 8.4v version centura.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the tenergy centura 9v nimhs or li ion 9v batterys. Also was looking at ipower or ebl. I have a case ih grain moisture tester that i think takes 2 9 volt batteries, 2 dmms, a compact hot shot cattle prod that takes 2 9v batteries, a couple of smoke detectors and a delmhorst bale moisture tester . Anybody have experience with the lithium 9v batteries in particular? Are the tenergy, and ebl li ions- lithium poly ? Are those any good? If i go nimh i would get the 8.4v version centura.

I bought the Tenergy 2 bay smart charger and 4 Centura 9v cells and they've worked well for 3.5 years in non-critical items, but I use alkalines in my smoke detectors which are mounted on my 16' and 8' ceilings, just because they seem to last long and I don't want to keep getting my ladder out and checking the Centuras.

Chris

light-wolff

Newly Enlightened
We've been using Soshine 500mAh 8.4V (2S) Li-Ions at work for current probes for over 2 years now. They replaced NiMH which were always empty when needed and never lasted long. The Li-Ions are protected and last forever, huge improvement. Inside are 2 LiPo cells.

Recently I received some Soshine 3S LiFePO 300mAh 9.6V batteries for testing. No results yet.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using either Energizer Ultimate lithium's or the Ultra Life lithium 9 volt batteries.

I just checked a stud finder that was sitting in my shed at 20F and the voltage is still above 9 volts with no signs of leakage.

IMO, having a non rechargeable battery isn't a big deal as they have more capacity that the rechargeable batteries do and I don't go through enough of them a year to purchase another charger and spare batteries to swap out while recharging. The lithium batteries have 5-6 times the capacity than the rechargeables.

I'll never go back to alkaline batteries.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Somebody told me this and I wonder if it's true: if you have a battery-powered device (say, a smoke detector) that uses battery power all the time, a lithium battery like an Energizer Ultimate won't last enough longer than an alkaline to justify the increased cost. But if the smoke detector is hard wired and the battery is only for backup, Energizer Ultimates last much longer than alkalines (not to mention the leak factor). I've been making battery decisions under the assumption that's true, but I'm not totally convinced - if the argument is based on shelf life, don't both Ultimates and decent alkalines both claim about 10 years?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody told me this and I wonder if it's true: if you have a battery-powered device (say, a smoke detector) that uses battery power all the time, a lithium battery like an Energizer Ultimate won't last enough longer than an alkaline to justify the increased cost. But if the smoke detector is hard wired and the battery is only for backup, Energizer Ultimates last much longer than alkalines (not to mention the leak factor). I've been making battery decisions under the assumption that's true, but I'm not totally convinced - if the argument is based on shelf life, don't both Ultimates and decent alkalines both claim about 10 years?
I looked at a few sellers websites to see what capacity was listed for a 9 volt alkaline battery, no one would disclose the capacity on a 9 volt alkaline cell.

A little further searching, found a site that listed capacity on five different brands of alkaline cells, but the rate varied depending upon loading. Duracell Copper tops with a 100 mA load, was tested at 310mAh. The best one tested was a Nuon at 490mAh.

The Ultra Life lithium smoke detector batteries were rated 1200mAh, so that looks close enough to me to be three plus times longer than the Duracell alkaline 9 volt batteries.