Olight PL-1 Valkyrie weapon light - Review

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

Neal from Banggood provided me a Olight PL-1 Valkyrie weapon light for testing. Thank you Neal!
http://www.banggood.com/Olight-PL-1...on-Light-For-Hunting-Searching-p-1004303.html

Olight claimes the PL-1 with 400 lumens max., it is powered by 1* CR123A (3V).
There is an additional low mode with 5 lumens and strobe (10 Hz).
Runtimes shall be 0.83h,40h,1.66h
Additional specs: 2.700 cd/ 104 m, IPX-6, 107 g

PL-1 mounted
http://abload.de/img/img-20151107-wa0001knod3.jpg

The only problem is, because of our law restrictions weapon lights are forbidden here. :(

So i want to show you my Olight NRF-1 Valkyrie nerf light, converted from the originally PL-1 to a toy light for Hasbro's Nerf series dartblasters. So this is part review (the flashlight itself wasn't modified) and part presentation (the nerf mod).

img_763343snx.jpg

At first the modification:
The rails of Nerf blasters are very different from Picatinny and Weaver rails, so a usual PL-1 Valkyrie can't be mounted on Nerf blasters. This "NRF-1 Valkyrie" has a cut in half 3D printed Nerf to Nerf connector by Slydev as a mount. Now it can be used on Nerf blasters but it doesn't fit on real guns or airsoft guns anymore.

img_7717jsqvl.jpg

img_7607_kleingis61.jpg

pl-1iws5j.jpg

img_7638m8sc8.jpg

Operation:

The Valkyrie can be controlled by pressing the ambidextrous switch on its back. The buttons can be pressed from the side or from the back and both buttons do the same thing, so there is no difference if you press the left or the right one.

img_7643uns5z.jpg

img_7645i2s13.jpg

Turning it on or off and changing to strobe or blue navigation light is easy because on/off, blue and strobe have their own "click pattern" that always get's you there. But if strobe or blue navigation light is selected and you want to go directly to white, you have to press the pattern for the mode you are in.

Click patterns from all modes:
- Single click on one of the buttons --> off (or white, if it's off)
- Single click on both buttons --> blue (or white, if it's on blue)
- Double click on one of the buttons --> strobe (or white, if it's on strobe)

ui_600pxcvubc.png

Runtime:
(with rechargeable Keeppower 16340 700mAh protected)
The output is regulated very well. In the first 35 minutes the light goes down to 94% and in the last seconds it fades out quickly.

runtimesbqcy.png

98% after 4 minutes
96% after 15 minutes
94% after 35 minutes

The last 15 seconds in detail:
last15secondsanq24.png

Beamshots:

ISO 640, 1/60s, f/5.6
img_7646_klein8esxq.jpg

ISO 200, 1/100s, f/8
img_7649_kleinmvsky.jpg

ISO 1250, 1/20s, f/4.0
img_7654_kleinjps1t.jpg

Conclusions:
The PL-1 is a small but massive built weapon light with plenty of output from just one single CR123A cell. It is superb regulated with constant output.
There is no voltage warning though. Beam is very clean, light colour is pure white. Well done!

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. The beam looks good for this application and it is definitely a unique design.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
The info is good, thanks.

What I'd also like to see is testing on a firearm. Does it survive recoil? Is the visible output diminished significantly by muzzle-blast soot? Is the UI intuitive enough for high-stress operation, ie run a night-time kill-house scenario.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
The info is good, thanks.

What I'd also like to see is testing on a firearm. Does it survive recoil? Is the visible output diminished significantly by muzzle-blast soot? Is the UI intuitive enough for high-stress operation, ie run a night-time kill-house scenario.

There are several video reviews on Youtube by gun guys where they show the PL-1 being used on firearms. In short, it holds up just fine.