Best way to hook up christmas lights on a roof rack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
My son has 2003 Nissan Xterra. He asked me about putting Christmas lights on his roof rack. I told him maybe next year, as it was too late to get the stuff for this past Christmas. Do you simply buy an inverter plug it in the cigarette lighter and wrap the roof rack? Does a string of 300 mini bulbs use much power? Would this put a strain on the alternator? Does the inverter matter? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son has 2003 Nissan Xterra. He asked me about putting Christmas lights on his roof rack. I told him maybe next year, as it was too late to get the stuff for this past Christmas. Do you simply buy an inverter plug it in the cigarette lighter and wrap the roof rack? Does a string of 300 mini bulbs use much power? Would this put a strain on the alternator? Does the inverter matter? Any advice would be really appreciated.

This is one of those things that sounds harmless but isn't-- while one could say "don't use red/blue and you'll be fine" (from a "police impersonation" standpoint), regardless of the color scheme, it can cause confusion or distraction on the road. My advice: Don't do it. Rule 11 supports this-- though it seems like it's all in fun and "Christmas spirit" and all that, it's simply not safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.