New Incandescent Bulb Technology

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that article, too. It is a similar concept to the Wavien collar. I am looking forward to more info and progress on this.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool idea.

Actually, I suppose its a hot idea.

Don't hold your breath though. By the time they have 40% efficient units commercially viable, LEDs may be at 60%.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it isn't. Not even slightly.

The concept of recycling wasted light (energy) and directing it back towards the light source is similar. The implementation is very different. They even call it light recycling like Wavien.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The concept of recycling wasted light (energy) and directing it back towards the light source is similar.

No, it really isn't -- not unless you zoom out to an unrealistically wide view, about half a step away from saying "Well, it's something to do with light, so it's similar".

inetdog

Enlightened
The concept of recycling wasted light (energy) and directing it back towards the light source is similar. The implementation is very different. They even call it light recycling like Wavien.
The Wavien deals with light at the right frequency that is going in the wrong direction. The subject of the article deals with photons (light) which is going in the right direction but is wasting energy outside the visible range (mostly infrared).
It effectively reduces energy loss from the filament resulting from it being a "black body" radiator.
Dichroic coatings on the front face of a reflector bulb served a similar purpose.