Minimags - Incan Users

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Who is still using incan minimags, in any configuration?

I currently have:

2AA - 2 NiMH + 2 cell Magnum Star II - huge upgrade over MM stock bulb. Estimate about 20 lumens for 3 hrs with good throw. Only have to bore out reflector and bend the pins on the bulb and it will not melt the plastic. Much better than the SL TwinTask 1L bulb we used to use.

I am currently making a 2AA + 14650 + 3 cell Magnum Star II but am waiting on the battery.

I am trying to make practical lights, not a hotwire that will melt the switch. Have there ever been MOP reflectors for the minimag?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just retired these in the last few months after 15-20 years...I know at least 17...

^^ A&N mini mag clone and a genuine mini mag had been going where I went for work since '98. Already owned them prior, but that is my first recollection of them....

Just prior to joining cpf I updated to LED while working nights after a piece of heavy equipment snagged an over heard wire and my brightest flashlight (the mini mag) wouldn't shine to the top of a light pole to see if said wire had tripped the breaker.
I needed to move said wire out of traffic. It hung about 3' above the pavement at 10pm. Cars kept sliding under the wire going 'what was that' and slamming on brakes...which caused other cars to crash into them.

Knowing it was a cable tv line I commenced to tugging one end off the road.
But it showed me I need a better light at times.

Nothing wrong with either for dog walks, shadow lighting etc. But they earned their spot indoors where it's usually about 73 year round...instead of baking in a truck all summer and freezing all winter.
An LED Mag 2D and mini mag fill the void...plus whatever lights I have with me.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I am trying to make practical lights, not a hotwire that will melt the switch.

I am still using MiniMag lamps in a Solitaire with 3.2v LifePO4. Love it. It does not melt the switch, and using a small ring over the lamp to adjust how close the lamp gets to the plastic lens, that does not melt either. I use it often. It sort of refreshes your eyes after using even a nice Nichia 219b LED, which is nothing miraculous compared to incan light. I wanted to take the idea further with multiple 10180 cells and bipin lamps that can handle 9V, but that would require glass lens, ceramic switch, aluminum reflector, and I can't find those last two items.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a brand-new forest camo MiniMag incandescent as my in-house playlight. I don't have any particular plans for it except to switch to L91s or Eneloops after I burn through my old stash of alkalines. I LOVE the way that it looks (the camo) and I don't know if it's because this is such a new one -seems to have been packaged in 2015- or if I just remember poorly, but the beam is actually plenty powerful enough for navigating an unlit house and spotting within a room, and it's surprisingly white; I've been very pleasantly surprised by it. The beam holes, artifacts and misshapen-ness ARE as bad as I remember :laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm using a brand-new forest camo MiniMag incandescent as my in-house playlight. I don't have any particular plans for it except to switch to L91s or Eneloops after I burn through my old stash of alkalines. I LOVE the way that it looks (the camo) and I don't know if it's because this is such a new one -seems to have been packaged in 2015- or if I just remember poorly, but the beam is actually plenty powerful enough for navigating an unlit house and spotting within a room, and it's surprisingly white; I've been very pleasantly surprised by it. The beam holes, artifacts and misshapen-ness ARE as bad as I remember :laughing:

Yup...by the time you get the beam like you like it your business is done and it's time to turn it back off.

Minimoog

Enlightened
My Dad has an incan MiniMag that he uses, but I agree, the beam is pretty poor. Its not the intensity, rather the way it looks all misshapen when focused and not like a projection of a filament. What I did was fit a bulb from the 2D Maglight - by using a 6.5mm drill to enlarge the reflector and using a pair of needle nose pliers to shape the bulb pins together a little. I then used 2 lithium AA's and gave it back to him. Output is at least double, is much whiter, brighter and altogether more useful. AND the beam is no longer a bad shape! Heat is no problem, just a little bit warmer.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
incan minimags pretty much suck *** lol

That is the attitude with which I bought mine. I thought that if nothing else I'd set it on a shelf to look at, because I do so love the way it looks.

What a surprise it has been to me, though! I genuinely enjoy using it in the way that I have.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA - 2 NiMH + 2 cell Magnum Star II - huge upgrade over MM stock bulb. Estimate about 20 lumens for 3 hrs with good throw. Only have to bore out reflector and bend the pins on the bulb and it will not melt the plastic. Much better than the SL TwinTask 1L bulb we used to use.

I am currently making a 2AA + 14650 + 3 cell Magnum Star II but am waiting on the battery.

I am trying to make practical lights, not a hotwire that will melt the switch. Have there ever been MOP reflectors for the minimag?

My Dad has an incan MiniMag that he uses, but I agree, the beam is pretty poor. Its not the intensity, rather the way it looks all misshapen when focused and not like a projection of a filament. What I did was fit a bulb from the 2D Maglight - by using a 6.5mm drill to enlarge the reflector and using a pair of needle nose pliers to shape the bulb pins together a little. I then used 2 lithium AA's and gave it back to him. Output is at least double, is much whiter, brighter and altogether more useful. AND the beam is no longer a bad shape! Heat is no problem, just a little bit warmer.

This is interesting to me; I think I'm going to try this out - but not on my camo incan, LOL! I have some others available for experimenting.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
incan minimags pretty much suck *** lol

Don't hold back....tell us how you really feel.
I think it's safe to say we can add Chewey to the 'no' category.

That is the attitude with which I bought mine. I thought that if nothing else I'd set it on a shelf to look at, because I do so love the way it looks.

What a surprise it has been to me, though! I genuinely enjoy using it in the way that I have.

$8 with batteries. Comes with 2 spare bulbs and a holster.
Puts out light in darkness...yep, works for me.

I have 2 in a coffee cup on my desk along with LED inkpens and a solo. I call it 'a cup of light'.
Think I'll stop by wallee world and pick up another one.
I still like the solitaire incan too.

Boko

Newly Enlightened

I currently have:

I'm using the Magnum Star bulb as above in an old Maglite bought from a charity shop for 50 pence. I love it and with the NiMH batteries I'm not worried about the cost of powering it. Sometimes it goes in an Exposure headbannd for a nice incan head torch for night runs.

Ratchet~

Newly Enlightened
I still use one, well a few of them actually, though the one i use most is away to be upgraded with a nite ize drop in, as yes the beam isn't that great or bright.

the others are just used around the house or as backups, where a hugely bright flashlight isn't really needed, besides i like the simple robustness of them as standard.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Anyone tried the Freeplay 2020 2.4V, 1A Xenon in a MiniMag? Looks to be a good upgrade bulb.

light-modder

Enlightened
Well the 4 cell magnum II doesn't like two IMR 14500s. Small flash and that was it. Gonna try the 5 and 6 when I can. The local ace has them all for $3.99 each. I think the cheapest I found them online was $4.50 $5 or something like that.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Where do you get these, I can't find any.

I just check eBay and pick them up when they appear. Here's one of the 2020 bulbs next to the Mag bulb - you can see it's a bit slimmer so less reflector drilling needed. The leads do need a small trim as they are a bit longer. With 2 Eneloops it's wicked bright.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2 more acquired.
A camo with a pocket clip, filters, anti-roll blue filter holder and a lanyard in one package...the black one was a $6 package with sheath and 2 spare bulbs. A wee bit of Lego action later....

^^ in case I drop it on the trail...

^^ I like this one best.

Pocket clip etc were used on a Nite-Ize'd pewter one.

apete2

Newly Enlightened
I have about 20 hours on the magnum star II and no blackening yet. Much better than the SL Twintask 1L bulb or minimag stock bulb.

I wonder if the 3AA led can be converted to incan

Last edited: