Lightweight headlamp

Prepped

Enlightened
So, I just returned from what I can only describe as the most trying and miserable field op of my life during my five years in the Marine Corps. We were in the mountains of Vermont, with way too much gear, in some pretty adverse conditions. To save on weight I took with me my S1 Baton (which performed like a champ), and my Petzl E+lite, which I love because I can keep it with me at all times. Sadly, it just didn't have the output I needed at times. I need to replace it with something lightweight, that uses a more capable cell like a CR123, but here's the catch - It must have a red output mode.

What are my options?

Prepped

Enlightened
The lighter the better, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Ideally, under 4oz

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
The Fenix HL50 is a great little work light at 170 lumens on high and 365 lumens in burst mode and is so light that you don't even know it is there. It is powered by either a CR123a or a AA battery. But doesn't have a lock out feature.

Mine weighs in at 2.80 oz with the CR123A battery installed.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

Bob

ETA:

oops. Sorry I missed the red output mode. I absolutely love my Nitecore HC90. It is the perfect headlamp with, Red for your night vision, Green for map reading, and Blue for IDN what. It also has a nice bright lamp. Also, it has a lockout feature so you can twist the battery cap 1/4 turn and the headlamp can't be accidentally turned on and you have no worries about any parasitic draws. With two CR123A batteries installed it weighs in at 5.95 oz.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Prepped

Enlightened
I've been eyeballing the HL50 and zebralight single CR123 headlamps for a few weeks. The only reason the red output mode is important to me is because the Marine Corps has a thing for it in 'tactical' situations. Thanks for all of the input thus far.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might think about getting the ZL CR123, and then just hanging on to the Petzl e+LITE for the red light.

After all, I'm guessing that the need for more output was a need for more *white* output, not for more *red* output.

You can clip the e+LITE onto the headband for the ZL, so that you only have one band around your head.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has a new version of the HL55 out that is 18650, USB rechargeable, is neutral white, and has red light output. The HL60R. Might be a bit heavy for your needs though but, I figured id mention it.

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
If you have an interest in the Nitecore HC90 Vin used to sell a modded version that boosts the light output from 900 lumens to 1250 lumens by upping true current. Keep in mind the the output is infinitely variable by the slide. I have read. that he is still willing still mod them if you send it to him.

Here is the link. If you want to search for more info search for Nitecore HC90vn

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386085-HC90vn-The-Best-Headlamp

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened
To the OP: What are your thoughts about on-board charging ability? Is your gear taking a beating? I can't help but think that adding a port to the outside, plus more internal circuitry, is asking for a higher failure rate when exposed to water, mud, and rough handling.

The field narrows once you decide yes/no.