SF P6, What to do with it now?

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have an old SF P6 that I bored out, installed a McClicky switch (GITD), and had a Malkoff drop in. It was a nice light. But this Christmas I got a Malkoff MD2 body, head, and switch with hi/lo ring. I transferred the M361 drop in and now have myself a 6 mode, bomb proof light that I now carry in my flight bag.

So, I find myself wandering what to do with my P6. Presently, I have a old cheap drop in module installed in it, but I don't like it because it always comes on in High and has to be stepped down. It also has a strobe mode that I have to step through at times. The obvious answer is to get another Malkoff drop in module, and that certainly remains an option. But I want to explore all options. I am aware of nailbender and Vihn and am presently digging through their information (over 500 posts). I am also using the google search to look at other drop in modules, but there is a lot of information to wade through. I need your help to sort out all the information and recommend other modules that I may be missing. Don't be shy, the sky is the limit.

Here is my wish list..

I would like to turn this into my field light for hunting, fishing, hiking. To wear on my belt along with my leatherman.

3 modes..low (less than 5 lumens) med (50 to 75 lumens) and high...the sky is the limit, but I think 400 is a good starting point for the high mode.

always turns on in low...No memory, just low each time

No flashing modes, hidden or otherwise.

Bomb proof...I don't want to have it fail when I am out in the woods.

I plan to use 18650 but want to keep 2x CR123 an option.

Must be a direct replacement for the SF P60 module without the need for further modification.

Budget, let's say around 75 USD.

Your advice is appreciated....

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ones you already mentioned are awesome. I figured I would include some ideas, not just for you, but maybe others who view this thread: So, other readers, don't flame my post! I know the OP mentioned a $75 budget. Ok, got that all cleared up:

Since you are what I refer to as "Mode Sensitive" type of cat, I would strongly urge you to consider a fully programmable drop in. You can set the modes and or Groups of modes how your little heart desires for any particular adventure. I know my suggestion is way way over your budget, but you would be getting "a-lot of drop in" for the money. I guess it is the ole get what you pay for thing. Since it is a light you plan to keep and already have bored, why not?
One of my favorites: You pick the led (tint/output)
Tana Triple with MumboJumbo
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...igh-power-custom-made-hybrid-modules-drop-ins

My other favorite "extreme" is the Oveready triple. Once again, you get what you pay for.
Feast your bug eyes on this. This is the Crown Jewel of modern P60s. This one will make you want to slap your momma. Or your daddy!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ins-Full-Boost-Thermal-and-Voltage-Regulation

On the "budget" front: I also have had good luck with the Sportac from Eagle. I have read of folks having issues. But, I have been 100% satisfied with the several I have and have had. The Triple Nichia is pretty bad to the bone for the money. Best part is you could aquire two. Each sporting a different type of led. Like a Nichia drop in then a XML drop in. All of this in accordance to your aforementioned budget.

Wow, I feel better. I got a weeks worth of "air quotes" out!

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ones you already mentioned are awesome. I figured I would include some ideas, not just for you, but maybe others who view this thread: So, other readers, don't flame my post! I know the OP mentioned a $75 budget. Ok, got that all cleared up:
My other favorite "extreme" is the Oveready triple. Once again, you get what you pay for.
Feast your bug eyes on this. This is the Crown Jewel of modern P60s. This one will make you want to slap your momma. Or your daddy!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ins-Full-Boost-Thermal-and-Voltage-Regulation

You're a bad man, I just saw this...
http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/triple-xpl/219-surefire-c2/prod_140.html.
Slightly OT and OTT, but it's nice to drool.
P

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Str8stroke,

You have me drooling, but I definitely can't justify that price tag. Even if I could, I think dropping it in an old P6 would just make it a good 50$ light.

I have also read some stuff about excessive heat buildup with those triples. Has that been your experience.

Keep them coming guys.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Get ya one of those M61W's for about 300 lumens of P60 warmness...

Nah, for hunting a M61 WLL would light your path at 4am on your way to the stand without alerting the herd. Plenty for tying knots and plenty of other uses...I know you said 3 modes...but the WLL mimics what lots of police officers used for decades.
And you'll get at least 10hrs of life from a pair of primaries.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct: The heat build up, can be a issue. I use copper foil wrap for my drop ins that I am going to swap around. For ones that are more of a "permanent" install, I have been known to use Arctic grease, aka thermal paste. Usually, folks put those mega output drop ins in a special host. Like a FiveMega Cooly, or Copper finned heads.

Of course with proper install, and proper switches and batteries, you can do a 6P with the mega drop ins. Just be cautious with your run times. Note: ones like the Overready have thermal protections in the firmware that step down the output to keep heat managed.

When you see Direct Drive, that is when you need to know what you are doing! I keep my hand on my light, so I know roughly where things are. When a light heats up, your hand actually acts as a radiator to help cool it. The blood in your hand works well, as long as you can hang on! I have some that will burn you in about a minute! lol

So, never run a high output drop in on 100% and set the light down and walk off! lol

Illum

Flashaholic
I swapped out all the 6Ps I have because I found the Solarforce L2s to better serve my purpose. 18650 bodies only needs a paper sleeve to convert back to 2xCR123A, hard to do in reverse, that and a pocket clip. All my 6Ps have now been fitted with a Solarforce XPL drop-in and is placed all over the house for general purpose illumination.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I swapped out all the 6Ps I have because I found the Solarforce L2s to better serve my purpose. 18650 bodies only needs a paper sleeve to convert back to 2xCR123A, hard to do in reverse, that and a pocket clip. All my 6Ps have now been fitted with a Solarforce XPL drop-in and is placed all over the house for general purpose illumination.

I bored my P6 to accept 18650.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Get ya one of those M61W's for about 300 lumens of P60 warmness... Nah, for hunting a M61 WLL would light your path at 4am on your way to the stand without alerting the herd. Plenty for tying knots and plenty of other uses...I know you said 3 modes...but the WLL mimics what lots of police officers used for decades. And you'll get at least 10hrs of life from a pair of primaries.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of that idea.

scout24

Flashaholic
Sounds silly, but why NOT another M361? Meets your budget, meets your output specs, you're familiar with it, runs on the cells you want, bombproof, the only thing it doesn't do is always turn on in low. They're $62.99 right now on Gene's website. Redundancy is a wonderful thing. :)

Last edited:

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about trying one of those M361s too.

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of 6Ps and a Malkoff for each one of them. The lights have bottomed out under 50 bucks so with the M 61 or 361 drop-in's you have an instant, bombproof light for under 100 bucks.

Then again, maybe I have enough of these things already and should try a more modern system possibly by a different manufacture.

These old SFs are just really hard to beat with those M drop-in's.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about trying one of those M361s too.

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of 6Ps and a Malkoff for each one of them. The lights have bottomed out under 50 bucks so with the M 61 or 361 drop-in's you have an instant, bombproof light for under 100 bucks.

Then again, maybe I have enough of these things already and should try a more modern system possibly by a different manufacture.

These old SFs are just really hard to beat with those M drop-in's.

I did both.
My Malkoff'd 6P/G2 collection have become like a mint 66 Mustang...only for special occasions while the 'modern' lights go with me more often.

Kinda like this to me...crash the Hyundai or the Mustang? Pfft, that's easy.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a Redilast 3 mode 1.5A XM-L2 U2 drop-in to my 6P and bought two of their 17670 protected li-ions to make it even a halfway decent light, but it sits in my drawer, doing nothing.

I might add it to one of my ARs, just to be Tier 1 tac-ti-cool, but I probably won't even do that.

<sigh>

Chris

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Sounds silly, but why NOT another M361? Meets your budget, meets your output specs, you're familiar with it, runs on the cells you want, bombproof, the only thing it doesn't do is always turn on in low. They're $62.99 right now on Gene's website. Redundancy is a wonderful thing. :)

As I said in my original post, that remains an option. The only issue I have with the 361 is that the low mode is 15 lms, I would like a little dimmer. It's only because of the hi/lo ring that I can get it lower in the MD2. But your idea of having a backup 361 is something I had not thought of.

I want to explore all options....I am in no hurry, so I have the time to explore.

Last edited: