Truck cargo light repalcement with LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodysj

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the cargo incan lights on my 2016 GMC Sierra with the Philips 921 LED. Stock is on the right in the pic. The LED is quite a bit brighter and not near as yellow as stock. So far am happy. Lights up the bed really well at night. The tint matches the OEM under-the-bedrail LED lighting much better
5644b9295bb730e7308e219388766bbe.jpg

LeoTheLion89

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some decent 921 LEDs for Reverse lights, where did you get those and how much were they?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems rather expensive for even a LED though, atleast for a function that isn't used constantly.

Maybe not constantly, but almost daily. On automatics, the lamps light up briefly every time the car is taken from Park to Drive because the selector goes past the Reverse position, so if you have an automatic you're lighting them up more often than you think.

At night, they seem to help me see better than the incandescents in my Corolla did. And they'll potentially never burn out. On some cars, changing the reversing lamp bulbs is a very involved process; the Previa required taking the entire interior panel from the back hatch. On that one, I'd rather do it once and forget it!

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
That's these (single pack), or these (twin pack). Same bulb, different packaging.

Are those currently the best on the market for LED applications? I'm guessing they are designed to work properly in halogen applications vs. a product developed by Vled's and others?

I have a 2008 Toyota Sequoia, 2009 Toyota Highlander and 2004 Toyota Sienna. Per the Sylvania guide the 921s will work fine in reverse for all my applications. Can I assume upgrading my brake lights to the Phillips 7443 would also be an upgrade you approve of?

Any other bulbs you recommend upgrading for safety and conspicuity purposes?

What LED bulbs do you recommend for a 168 license plate bulb application? I've always been fond of the 4300k/5000k color of the Lexus/Mercedes license plate bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Are those currently the best on the market for LED applications?

Yes.

I'm guessing they are designed to work properly in halogen applications

We're not talking about halogen applications here. A 921 is not a halogen bulb. Yes, these are the best.

Can I assume upgrading my brake lights to the Phillips 7443 would also be an upgrade

No, you cannot.

What LED bulbs do you recommend for a 168 license plate bulb application?

These or these.

LeoTheLion89

Newly Enlightened
Maybe not constantly, but almost daily. On automatics, the lamps light up briefly every time the car is taken from Park to Drive because the selector goes past the Reverse position, so if you have an automatic you're lighting them up more often than you think. At night, they seem to help me see better than the incandescents in my Corolla did. And they'll potentially never burn out. On some cars, changing the reversing lamp bulbs is a very involved process; the Previa required taking the entire interior panel from the back hatch. On that one, I'd rather do it once and forget it!
I agree there! finding 1156 LEDs to use as reverse lights are simple but 921 ones, being the same base as a 168/T10 finding ones BRIGHT enough is a task in it's own. When i have money ill give those 921 Philips LEDs a shot

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
No, you cannot.

I'm coming here to gain knowledge and be "enlightened" (pardon the pun).

Why would the Philips 7443 not be appropriate/correct/beneficial in a stop light application?

Last edited:

moodysj

Newly Enlightened
Maybe not constantly, but almost daily. On automatics, the lamps light up briefly every time the car is taken from Park to Drive because the selector goes past the Reverse position, so if you have an automatic you're lighting them up more often than you think.

At night, they seem to help me see better than the incandescents in my Corolla did. And they'll potentially never burn out. On some cars, changing the reversing lamp bulbs is a very involved process; the Previa required taking the entire interior panel from the back hatch. On that one, I'd rather do it once and forget it!
Keep in mind that, at least for trucks (and mine specifically), there are separate reverse and cargo lights. I intended to discuss the cargo lights. But, the results could easily be extended to reverse lights.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Why would the Philips 7443 not be appropriate/correct/beneficial in a stop light application?

The question was whether it can be assumed that they are an upgrade, and it cannot, nor can it be assumed that they will even work adequately. See this thread, especially post #75.

Status
Not open for further replies.