14500 That Holds A Charge Like Eneloop For Neutron 2A

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
I have a Thrunight Neutron 2A that has been dropping out of Turbo after only a few seconds while using two Eneloop AA's. I have read that the Neutron 2A will stay in turbo longer when using a 14500. I have always planned to only use Eneloop's because I can depend on them to hold a charge for long periods. This is important to me because this flashlight may sit unused for months (I unscrew the head to eliminate drain) but when I use it I expect a good charge. I know very little about Li-ion batteries. I know that AW brand is a good brand but not sure if that it is the best for holding a charge for long periods (my preference) or only for holding a strong charge. I also know that Li-ion's come in protected and unprotected but don't know the pluses and minuses of each type. My main question is what 14500 and charger would be best to hold a charge for a long time in my Neutron 2A?

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Most Li-ion cells will hold a charge reasonably well, especially in forgiving temperature conditions.
If you can find one that fits, get a protected cell. Also make sure you get a cell with a button top if that's needed and to have a quality charger.
I'm very happy with my Xtar VP2, but that may be overkill if you plan to only get the one cell. Xtar has other, more compact charger that might suit your needs better.

Just make sure to only run one 14500 in that light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many protected 14500s are too long to fit many lights, so it's a 'trial and error' thing. For instance, I have some EVVA Sanyo 840s and they don't fit my Xeno E03, Icon Rogue 1, my ShiningBeam I-Mini with AA tube, nor my L3 L10 (just barely a thread cinched down,) so I just run them naked where I can and don't worry about things, but then the flat headed Sanyos don't always make positive contact in 'reverse polarity protected' lights, so we get screwed from both ends.

Chris

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Most Li-ion cells will hold a charge reasonably well, especially in forgiving temperature conditions.
If you can find one that fits, get a protected cell. Also make sure you get a cell with a button top if that's needed and to have a quality charger.
I'm very happy with my Xtar VP2, but that may be overkill if you plan to only get the one cell. Xtar has other, more compact charger that might suit your needs better.

Just make sure to only run one 14500 in that light.
Thanks, I checked out the Xtar VP2 but I have been thinking of getting a Opus BT-C3100. My LaCrosse BC900 is pretty old and the BT-C3100 does both LiMh & Li-ion. Good advice on the button top. I have been trying to figure out all the abbreviations IMF=no button? Info on batteries is scattered all over and I get sidetracked. Started to learn about Li-ion batteries ended up learning about chargers and the Opus BT-C3100 seems to be a nice unit. Now I have to try to educate myself on Li-ion batteries again.

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Many protected 14500s are too long to fit many lights, so it's a 'trial and error' thing. For instance, I have some EVVA Sanyo 840s and they don't fit my Xeno E03, Icon Rogue 1, my ShiningBeam I-Mini with AA tube, nor my L3 L10 (just barely a thread cinched down,) so I just run them naked where I can and don't worry about things, but then the flat headed Sanyos don't always make positive contact in 'reverse polarity protected' lights, so we get screwed from both ends.

Chris
So much to learn. EVVA?