Is the switch to 18650 worth it?

Ace12

Enlightened
I use a headlamp for work almost daily. Right now I use a ZL H31 that uses a CR123A, and I usually have to replace it once a week. I get the batteries for $1.50 each. I have been thinking of buying a ZL H600f which uses a 18650 and buying a charger. How many charges are these batteries good for? How long do they typically last before needing replaced. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the switch. Thanks.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Good quality cells can, I believe, be charged hundreds of times (500 rings a bell) provided you use a good charger and prudent care with the batteries. If your headlamp is bright enough, maybe get a couple 16340 rechargeable to start with. I have AW brand IMR that have run for 4 years or more. That could save you $72 per year on cr123's... If you're looking for a new light anyway, jump into the pool of 18650 lights. Cheers

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Concur with Strintguy. Try some good quality IMR 16340s in your current light first. If you find that the lower energy density (vs CR123a primaries) is a pain then consider a light upgrade to 18650s. Invest in a good LiIon charger (read HKJs reviews).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no question that in the long term rechargeable cells are the way to go. The big drawback with using 16340 cells is that the voltage is a little higher than a primary CR123. Some lights won't work with the extra voltage and wind up letting the magic blue smoke out. Check the manufacturer's literature for your current headlight to see what they say. They do make 3.0 volt 16340 cells, but they take a special charger.

18650/17650/16650 cells is where rechargeables really shine. Paying $20 for a single cell may seem like a lot, but do the math. Instead of using two CR123A cells at $3 a set, once you recharge the Li-Ion cell six or seven times you have saved enough to pay for the cell, and kept a dozen used primary cells out of the trash. The same for a good charger. In the two years I have been using my charger and rechargeable cells, I have saved enough to pay for all of my Li-Ion (12) and NiMH (24) cells and the charger, and am started on paying for the lights themselves with my savings. You should also consider buying a good digital volt meter for checking your cells periodically as well. There are many good threads on here on the care and feeding of rechargeable cells that are worth reading.

Ace12

Enlightened
I do HVAC work so I already have a good digital meter. Do you guys have a charger and battery recommendation? Right now I am looking at the Nightcore D2 charger, and keeppower 3400 mA batteries

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore chargers are good, so are the Xtar line. Personally, I would get a four slot charger rather than any one smaller. Once you start using rechargeables the uses just seem to multiply, and it's a lot cheaper to buy a four slot charger up front than have to go back and buy another charger later to handle all the cells needing recharging.

Keeppower, Olight, Nitecore are all good cells. They are actually all either Sony, Sanyo, or Panasonic cells that the sellers are adding protection circuits too and wrapping with their own brand. The big three cell manufacturers sell the cells as flat tops without protection. Some users like them that way, and most resellers have their own favorite protection circuits they want to use. They may or may not add button tops. That is a point to watch for, as some light manufacturers like Nitecore require button top cells as part of their reverse polarity protection.

swan

Banned
I use a headlamp for work almost daily. Right now I use a ZL H31 that uses a CR123A, and I usually have to replace it once a week. I get the batteries for $1.50 each. I have been thinking of buying a ZL H600f which uses a 18650 and buying a charger. How many charges are these batteries good for? How long do they typically last before needing replaced. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the switch. Thanks.

Yes it is worth it and more fun as you can run them full blast all the time without being frugal.
I have the great little Zebralight H31 also which i run on AW rcr123 750mAh protected which were purchased in 2012 [ x 3] which still work well in this light. You wont notice the run time difference as its very similar.
The D2 is a good charger[ although a little slow] to start with and i would recommend you buy 2 x cells keeping you shining.
With 18650 cells i bought some 18650 jetbeam 2300 mAh 5 years ago and still are still going strong and probably had at least 50-100 charges. The Keepower 3400 [wrapped panasonic ncr18650b] are very good cells.
The latest and greatest 18650 cell is the sanyo ncr 18650 ga 3500 mah which can be bought in un protected form or re wrapped with a protection cell- from memory Keepower now has this 3500 cell.
For me rechargable cells are the way to go and are always on hand in an emergency. I have not purchased a primary cell for years and will not again.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great summary! I agree with all that. And I also like my Nitecore charger which is a 4-bay version. I agree that it might be more convenient to get a 4-bay version. I don't think there is much of a price difference, is there?

Ace12

Enlightened
Thanks for your opinions guys. Now I just have to decide between 2 different ZL models I've been looking at. Looking forward to jumping in the 18650 train

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Zebralight versions, the H600Fd Mk III and the H302w CR123 Flood Headlamp.

For an everyday work light the H600Fd Mk III is the one I would choose; I use the H302w CR123 Flood Headlamp as a back up in a coat pocket for hands free needs.

If I was choose again what charger to start with it would be the XTAR VP2. It gives the choice of .25 amps, .50amps, and 1.0 amp; plus it can charge up to 4.35 volts on the 18650 batteries made for this voltage. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ace12

Enlightened
What is the benefit of current choice? Does a lower current slow charge= better runtime?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the benefit of current choice? Does a lower current slow charge= better runtime?
If you have the time I like to charge 18650 batteries at .5 amps for an easier charge on the battery, but if I need it fast I have the option to charge 18650 at a full 1 amp in each of the two battery bays. If you ever want to charge 16340 batteries then I would charge them at .25 amps if I have the time or .5 amps if I want a fast charge.

As you become more understanding of 18650 batteries, the ability to charge at 4.35 then the XTAR VP2 is capable.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like all cells, the production of electricity is a chemical process. In primary cells, it is one way, once the process is done, so is the cell. In a rechargeable cell, the chemical process can be reversed, in effect 'putting electricity back into the cell'. But that process can only happen so fast, and putting more current into the cell than it can process will damage, and may destroy the cell.

There is a measurement called 'C', which is basically the capacity of the cell in milliamps over time (mAh). When charging a rechargeable cell, the rule of thumb is to use no more than C/2 current, and usually less. So for the larger cells like an 18650 or 18500 anything up to a one amp charging rate will work, with a lower rate obviously requiring a longer time. Smaller capacity cells like 18340 or 16340 (RCR123) or 14500 should be charged at no more than 0.5 amps to prevent damage. I currently use an Xtar VC4 charger, which will correctly charge all of the above, but not my 10440 cells, which need a lower charge rate than it provides. So I am going to have to dust off my Nitecore i4 charger to recharge those, since it does have a lower charge rate. Somewhere in the user manual for your charger there should be a section that describes the charging rates available, and the size cells the charger can safely recharge.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like all cells, the production of electricity is a chemical process. In primary cells, it is one way, once the process is done, so is the cell. In a rechargeable cell, the chemical process can be reversed, in effect 'putting electricity back into the cell'. But that process can only happen so fast, and putting more current into the cell than it can process will damage, and may destroy the cell.

There is a measurement called 'C', which is basically the capacity of the cell in milliamps over time (mAh). When charging a rechargeable cell, the rule of thumb is to use no more than C/2 current, and usually less. So for the larger cells like an 18650 or 18500 anything up to a one amp charging rate will work, with a lower rate obviously requiring a longer time. Smaller capacity cells like 18340 or 16340 (RCR123) or 14500 should be charged at no more than 0.5 amps to prevent damage. I currently use an Xtar VC4 charger, which will correctly charge all of the above, but not my 10440 cells, which need a lower charge rate than it provides. So I am going to have to dust off my Nitecore i4 charger to recharge those, since it does have a lower charge rate. Somewhere in the user manual for your charger there should be a section that describes the charging rates available, and the size cells the charger can safely recharge.
If my memory is correct the Nitecore i4 has a total of 1.5 amps.If two 18650 batteries are charged each will receive .5 amps and if four 18650 are charged I think each is charged at .35 amps.

If you would calculate the cost of a good flashlight and its batteries, the cost of a very good charger is the least expensive part of what is needed.

swan

Banned

Say we are using a 3500 mAh cell as an example

If you charge a flat cell at 0.5 amps[ 500mA] a 3500 cell will take approx 7 hrs to charge 3500 divided by 500ma =7hrs

if you charge at 1amp [1000mA] 3500 divided 1000mA = approx 3.5 hrs

This is to fully charge the cell to 4.20volts.

Some chargers are capable of 1amp in all 4 bays at once some are not -hope this helps.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a zebra h60 and I use the old 18650 2250 for maybe 8 years, now I am using sanyo 2800 and I charge those batts like 4 times a week, and for my h600w I am using pana 3400.

Dont worry about the charges...

Ace12

Enlightened
Can 18650's be charged in a vehicle in the winter? Or does the cold temps effect the charging?