Is this normal Eneloop "packaging".

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I'm new to Eneloop batteries. Recently decided to start using them for my AA flashlights. I first purchased a 4 pack with Advanced charger. Then later I ordered a couple of other 4 packs of just batteries from two other vendors. The first of those 4 packs came today, and they were not in the packaging pictured when I ordered online. They came simply shrunk wrapped in clear plastic, with no other type of packing or manufacturer info. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but this concerned me, because I don't want to purchase counterfeits. Can anyone confirm that this type of "packaging" or lack thereof is normal, or should I contact the vendor? Thanks for any help.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I just looked at the seam with a magnifier and I can see a "1 5 -03YR. So does this mean that they were most likely broken out of a multi-pack. That's what I was thinking and hoping could be a possibility.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I just looked at the seam with a magnifier and I can see a "1 5 -03YR. So does this mean that they were most likely broken out of a multi-pack. That's what I was thinking and hoping could be a possibility.

Anything's possible. There are a few Ebay sellers selling unpackaged blue Eneloop 2100s along with the Eneloop charger, as if they bought cases and cases of the COSTCO starter packs and just broke them open, selling them in lots of 8, 12, 16 and 20.

They were legit.

These guys are out of Sandy, Utah and I recently bought some Fujitsu Gen. 4 LSDs made by FDK (Fujitsu subsidiary) and they're shrink wrapped. They are the latest Gen. 4 to make it to America (6/15,) according to the ad here:

Note the packaging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272031667868?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Chris. I'll check it out.

Edit to add - I've contacted the merchant (Horizon Battery) to ask this question, and am awaiting a response. I'll post back once I've heard something from them.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Chris. I'll check it out.

The Fujitsus that I bought aren't indicative of what I've seen from Sanyo/Panasonic regarding the Eneloop packaging, but if you have the embossed date codes on them and you do, I'd feel comfortable.

What potentially can be a problem with non-standard packaging, is whether, or not, those Eneloops have been used previously.

This is what spooked me away from the 'blues' a couple of years back. While my seller was selling hundreds upon hundreds of them and probably 'wasn't' using them, we have no way of truly knowing.

I thought that those Fujitsus above were worth a gamble, due to the box and packaging, as one isn't going to take the time to 'fake' something like that, IMO. He was also selling a Fujitsu 4xAA power bank/battery charger that came with four hi-cap 2500mAh Fujitsu AAs, similar to the Eneloop XX/Pros and I bought one of those. Those batteries are dated '13-11,' so November of 2013.

Chris

billcushman

Enlightened
What you received is NOT normal Eneloop packaging. Don't take chances, return them and repurchase from a quality supplier.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received some AAA Eneloops today, so I took a picture of the seam for you. I see an embossed set of numbers, probably the manufacture date, and then the model number.
This format should be the same for the AA models.

20160125_153909.jpg

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks all for the feedback and Drafter Dan for taking the pictures. My batteries do have the embossed code, but not the typical packaging. I'm waiting to hear back from the merchant. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow afternoon, I will go ahead and initiate the refund process. Thanks again everyone for the helpful comments.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Here is the response I received from the seller..."We purchase our eneloops in bulk in Germany from Panasonic. Our Amazon listing discloses this (packaged in shrink wrap)

Your eneloops are 100% genuine and new, however if you wish to return them, we will send a prepaid label and refund you completely.

For further clarification, feel free to contact me at*800-648-7239"

Sincerely,

David Schliep
Horizon Battery

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the response I received from the seller..."We purchase our eneloops in bulk in Germany from Panasonic. Our Amazon listing discloses this (packaged in shrink wrap)

Your eneloops are 100% genuine and new, however if you wish to return them, we will send a prepaid label and refund you completely.

For further clarification, feel free to contact me at*800-648-7239"

Sincerely,

David Schliep
Horizon Battery

We know that FDK, the plant that makes Eneloops, packages their Fujitsu cells in shrink wrap (among other methods) and sells them in bulk, so I wouldn't worry about.

Some of the Asian packaging for real Eneloops leaves one scratching his head.

Google 'Eneloop AA' on Ebay and see what you see.

'Made in Japan' and the embossed date code is what you want.

Chris

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Hi, Chris. I'm pretty satisfied after receiving their explanation. The batteries do have the Made in Japan and the date code. I have another 4 pack coming in tomorrow or the next day from another vendor. It will be interesting to see how they come packaged.