Review: Klarus RS30: USB-rechargeable, dual-head, 2400 lumens, comparison (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
The first Klarus light in 2016 that came in was the RS30 (many thanks to mr. Schiermeier for the proper shipping). The RS30 has impressive output, thanks to two head, that operate independently. Above that, the RS30 offers some more interesting features, for example the renewed interface. So, different reasons to have a closer look at the light! Let's see what this Klarus brings!

the first dual-head-light made by Klarus
2cx6utt.jpg

rechargeable via the magnetic port
90xawk.jpg

driven by two XM-L (U2) leds
30t0xok.jpg

compact, but impressive output
16kt7hu.jpg

At first, the features, given by Klarus:

• Compact and lightweight Dual Head Rechargeable Flashlight
• Special designed for higher brightness, dual beam strength, excellent grip and convenience, making the RS30 a distinctive rechargeable flashlight
• Intelligent power management system, highly compatible with different batteries, can use one or two batteries, can even function when battery types are mixed
• Max output 2400 lumens, Max runtime is 1000 hours
• The two sides battery capacity indicators work independently, display remaining charge, enabling you to control your lighting time by choosing the mode according to the batteries capacity.
• Patented USB 5V magnetic recharging system with rapid charge function,ensures that either one or two 2200mAH 18650 batteries are fully charged within 2.5 hours. Maximum charging current is 2000MA.
• The two sides battery charging indicators work independently
• Batteries charge separately, so the RS30 can charge either a single battery or two batteries
• Smart temperature-control system protects the LEDs and internal components to ensure safety and stability
• DUAL switch design for convenient and easy operation. Could directly go to the Turbo or Moonlight mode by one step operation, convenient for emergency use.
• Side switch incorporates a specially designed lock function to prevent accidental illumination. This precludes power drainage during storage or travelling and prevents eye damage should children play with the flashlight
• Reverse-battery protection prevents damage to both flashlight and battery
• Aircraft aluminum body, CNC precision machined cell, Military grade III hardened anodic oxidation, compact and rugged with rapid heat dissipation through heat-sink
• Tempered glass lens with AR film plating for durability and scratch resistance

The RS30 is a compact and light weight but powerful flashlight which is super-bright, rapid-charging and high-quality to meet all your hiking, camping and outdoor exploration requirements

And the specifications:

• Utilizes 2 CREE XM-L2-U2 LEDs, Max lifespan 50000 hours
• Battery:
Use 2*18650 or 4*CR123A or Mixed using 1*18650 + 2* CR123A
While use 1*18650 or 2*CR123A, could illuminate only one side light
(Note: Only the 18650 battery with PCB protection can be used. Only 18650 battery with PCB protection can be recharged in the flashlight, the CR123A couldn't be recharged in the flashlight.)
• Dimensions: 139mm(5.47")(Length) x 50mm(1.97")(Width)x27mm(1.06")(Height)
• 5 lighting modes and 2 flash modes
• Net Weigh: 251g (Without battery)
• Working Voltage
3-8.4V
• Reflector: Newly designed reflector that provides both focused and floodlight,offering perfect spot illumination
• Lens: Toughened ultra-clear tempered glass, scratch-resistant and wear-resistant
• Material: Aircraft grade aluminum, Military III hard anodic oxidation
• Body colour: Black
• Water proof: IPX-8 (Under water 2 meters)

And the output and runtime specs:
30c64pl.jpg

Unboxing:

Like most flashlights the RS30 comes in a carton box, in which it fits exactly. This save space for the manufacturer, but, after unboxing, it is for the customer not an easy job to store the light and the spare-parts again. However, the box looks neat and nice: Colorful, nice pictures and almost all specs and features listed on it. Also inside nothing to complain about: only cells are missing. There's a BA(ttery)-version of the RS30 too, for those who need an all-in-one package. As far as I know, in my region we can only purchase the version without cells. Have a look at some unboxing-pictures!

again a colorful box
w0t5so.jpg

with almost all features and specifications on it
2ltt2s2.jpg

the contents: almost complete, only cells are missing
w96sua.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: A nice looking-light that is excellent finished. At first sight, it is a lookalike of the Fenix LD50. But it isn't a copy: the RS30 has clearly its own looks and design. Notable is the RS30's weight: it's rather heavy. But carrying in the pants pocket is easy, and in the pants pocket will also be not a big problem. (don't forget that, some years ago, an average cell phone had the same thickness and weight). Thanks to the flat shape the RS30 fits well in your hand. The ridges at both sides (anti-slip patterns) are really needed to guarantee good grip: without the RS30 could easily slip out of your hand. Everything looks fine, no flaws. Clear, smooth reflectors; perfect centered XM-L2 (U2) leds; anodizing and laser engraving is also well done. The cover of the battery compartment can be screwed and unscrewed easily, and the threads are lubed sufficient. The machining and the finishing have positively surprised me: The RS30 feels like an excellent and durable light! Have a look at the impression-pictures below!

the RS30 made by Klarus
hrat21.jpg

compact, but not a "lightweight"
2qlya06.jpg

a floodlight that has the dimensions of a cell phone
25s510i.jpg

fits well in the hand, but can't be hidden
1183r7r.jpg

a twin-head for big output
33l1buu.jpg

nice K(larus)-design
vn2j2b.jpg

the engraving could be some clearer
2rddkex.jpg

the two (a bit tiny) buttons
mliddw.jpg

good grip, thanks to the patterns
1tom0l.jpg

nice finishing
2j3sb4y.jpg

a look into the battery-tube with gold plated springs
rbmivb.jpg

the magnetic charging-port
2gtx7j7.jpg

this is also possible! Because both circuits work independently
5typsl.jpg

no voltage-indication for CR123A-cells
3532igw.jpg

clean and smooth reflectors
24zc1lk.jpg

the cover can be tightened firmly
n32omb.jpg

the buttons are clear separable, also thanks to shape and structure
2moypm0.jpg

the RS30 can be used at this way too..
904wuc.jpg

no sharp parts
2qu2p92.jpg

well finished and anodized
2e4f4h4.jpg

the holster…
1zyzriq.jpg

fits exactly, but is not easy closeable
bewzk4.jpg

the lanyard added-on
140hitl.jpg

the heads operate separate of each other
2cpozdz.jpg

User interface:

The RS30 fits, because flat shape, well in your hand. But it is a robust and some heavy light, and therefore not suited as a "children's-light" (like the pictures shown at Klarus' webpage). The RS30's body has a smooth structure, but the ridges at both edges will ensure good grip. Charging is an easy job: simply insert one or two 18650's (mind that the cells must have PCB / protection) an connect the pin to the magnetic connection at the light and the other side of the cable to any usb-port. Works without problems, and the colored ring around the connection keeps you updated about the progress. Disadvantage of this system is that there's only one, unique cable needed. If you lose it, you have to buy a new one. Lights that can be loaded via micro-usb have more power-options, but the system of the RS30 is real waterproof, in contrast rubber covers. Both cell are loaded separately, and have their own voltage indicator. While turning the RS30 on, the indicator shows (short time) the actual voltage: Green (above 70%); orange (above 30%) or red (below 30%).

The RS30 has a new interface, and I can tell you that I really love it! Most important fact is that you can cycle up and down through the normal modes. Also the RS30 has real momentary, the Klarus lights I had before had only momentary for a few seconds. (after some seconds, it went into constant on) Other nice feature: it's always possible to turn the RS30 on the "moonlight-mode"; for me (and a lot of user, I'm sure) a very good point. The RS30 has two side buttons that have different shape: a rounded and a square button. Use the black (square) button to turn on the light in last used mode, and, if on, cycle up through the modes this button. Use the orange (rounded) button to cycle down. I can tell you this works fine! When off, a short press at orange will give instant-moonlight, by pressing and holding the button, you'll get momentary-on, but only in turbo. Momentary on at other modes isn't possible, and direct-turbo when the light is on either. Normally, this feature is only found at lights that have a clicky, so still I'm happy with this feature. The black button can activate also instant-strobe (from off): two quick presses suffice. While on, both buttons can be used for strobe: two quick clicks will enter this. Good point, in a stressful situation you don't need to look for the right button. When in strobe, two quick presses to get into SOS-modes, and one press to go back to last used normal mode. For me, this is the best user interface I've seen on a Klarus until now. Maybe, other will prefere direct-turbo (out of all modes) above momentary, and I found out, that by quick cycling through the modes, you sometimes activate strobe mode accidentally. Unfortunately, we can't get it all…..

Modes:

The RS30 has total five normal modes, in order of: MOONLIGHT > LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. Klarus names the 5 Lumen mode MOONLIGHT, for me this is maximum 1 or less lumens. Between MOONLIGHT and LOW I prefer an extra modes that has about 30-50 lumens, for the rest the spacing is rather good. There are two special modes here: STROBE and SOS-mode. The RS30 has MOMENTARY-ON too, but only at TURBO-mode. Because MOMENTARY-ON and instant MOONLIGHT are controlled by the same button, you have to press more than about half a second to activate this mode. The RS30 has LOCK-OUT too, press and hold more than 5 seconds to activate, and deactivate this mode by three quick presses. So, we can say the RS30 has a bunch of nice modes.

Size comparison:

The RS30 side-by-side to some lights in the same (lumen) class: the Fenix BC30R bike-light (that is almost equal to the LD50) and the Olight SR Mini (also a compact light that has big output).

CR123A-battery, 18650-cell, Fenix BC30R, Olight SR Mini and Klarus RS30
2uelp5d.jpg

Fenix BC30R, Olight SR Mini and Klarus RS30
wlzr4y.jpg

awwahe.jpg

the heads: Fenix BC30R, Olight SR Mini and Klarus RS30
dpzcci.jpg

and the tails:
foq249.jpg

Tint:

A clear difference here between the warm/neutral tint of the BC30R, the little neutral coolwhite tint of the Olight SR Mini, and the typical XM-L2 (U2) tint (that has a some blue and purple in the spill) of the RS30. For the rest, the RS30's is fine.

217m7a.jpg

Beamprofile:

The RS30 has a big hotspot and a medium corona. This gives a "mixed" beam. Because the RS30 uses only one led at lower modes, you will get from the third mode (medium) two spots, that mix well. At short distance it is clearly noticeable that there are two, but at the beamshots this is barely to discover. So, a nice and usable profile without defects that is best used up to about 100 meters. Below the beamshots, please scroll down…

Beamshots:

Let's start here by projecting the RS30 at a white wall. The distance to the wall is about a meter. Later, some outdoor shots and a comparison to some light we've seen earlier in this review.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2w40co7.jpg

33nhnie.jpg

50fjfc.jpg

2w7ph1l.jpg

j58fox.jpg

GIF-picture:
195dlc.jpg

Let's see now how the RS30 performs outside! A first, all modes of the RS30, after that some shoot-outs against the Fenix BC30R and the Olight SR Mini!

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
10nf8ll.jpg

2mg2yxs.jpg

5z7ut.jpg

21nkuja.jpg

2lic382.jpg

GIF-picture:
2me9tmx.jpg

the RS30 compared to the Fenix BC30R bike-light
33215xv.jpg

a shoot-out against the Olight SR Mini
30hld0m.jpg

Conclusion:

Summarizing this one, I can tell that I really like the RS30. It's a robust, some heavy light that is easy and quick chargeable, also with one cell if needed. No problem if you use different cells or 18650's and CR123A's together. The interface is a strong point too: the direct modes, the possibility to cycle up and down and the momentary-on mode are good (not only for me) features. But still there are some wishes: a better moonlight (should be possible by using one led); and an extra mode between moonlight and low of about 30-50 lumens. It's a bit to heavy too.

But I can recommend the Klarus RS30! A good and powerful light that has nice features and that not overprized!

Thanks Klaruslight for providing and mr. Schiermeier for the perfect shipping!

21mc66d.jpg

Last edited:

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! Maybe I missed it, but how do you only activate one half of the light? For example, if I wanted to keep 2 fully charged 18650s in it, but only use one half at a time to double my runtime, can I do that? Or must I only load one battery to only use one side?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kj75, awesome photos and beamshots ! Looks like a great all rounder light there. I went for a klarus g30 in the end, really digging the mt g2 in that. I wish I could charge it up like this though !

Does this have a belt clip ? It has two holes that look like they should be for a belt clip ?

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! Maybe I missed it, but how do you only activate one half of the light? For example, if I wanted to keep 2 fully charged 18650s in it, but only use one half at a time to double my runtime, can I do that? Or must I only load one battery to only use one side?
It's random which led turns on at lower modes, sometimes left, sometimes right. I didn't find out yet how this exactly works...

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks kj75, awesome photos and beamshots ! Looks like a great all rounder light there. I went for a klarus g30 in the end, really digging the mt g2 in that. I wish I could charge it up like this though !

Does this have a belt clip ? It has two holes that look like they should be for a belt clip ?
There's no clip. I will ask Klarus what's the meaning of the holes..

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review! Looks like a cool light, and I really like the photos you took. I've been intrigued by the 2x18650 form factor ever since I got the Fenix BC30 for my bike.

lucifertran

Newly Enlightened
This pic show that the case is not a single piece (probably not as sturdy as Fenix LD50 ?).
Could anyone has a small comparison with the Fenix LD50 or Nitecore EC4S?
Thanks in advance.

rbmivb.jpg

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice catch ! I never noticed that lucifertran. I wonder if it is plastic or metal. Fyi I like klarus , they have a good following based on churning out some solid lights. Fenix too are also very well built. You will not go wrong with either tbh. Maybe ui and price will help.

Taylorf

Enlightened
There's no clip. I will ask Klarus what's the meaning of the holes..

I just received this light today and am also curious about the two holes on the opposite side of the charging port. I had not noticed them in any of the pictures prior to purchasing but they are definitely threaded on the inside. Perhaps they plan or had planned on making a clip for it? Or even some way attach it to a bike handle as it is a similar form factor to several other bike lights on the market. If anyone hears back from them regarding these holes let me know.

Overall I do enjoy this light. I own a TM26 and an Olight S1 and was looking for something in the middle. I think this is a good fit because it not too large or heavy to keep in a bag/backpack but it is still incredibly bright with great run times.

It does have a couple cons, at least for me anyhow. I do not need instant turbo mode but I do like a quick access to it. I understand holding down the orange button will bring me to turbo but it is only a temporary on and will shut off when released. The only way to fully access turbo is to press either button and then press the black button until turbo is reached. The issue is that if the light were previously on a lower mode you must press the black button multiple times until turbo is reached. But, because the strobe mode is activated with 2 successive button clicks you must be sure to time your clicks slow enough to not activate strobe. This means that unless you were on turbo previously and can return to it via memory with the black button you cannot access turbo quickly unless you do so via the temporary access. I would think that for most people quick access to turbo would be more important than quick access to strobe. Sure strobe comes in handy but in the past 10 years I think I only actually had to use a strobe mode once. It is frustrating how easily it is to access it.

The only other real con for me is that it only rests on the battery knob when tail standing. So, while it can tail stand no problem, it is not very sturdy.