Any 1 AAA zoomies / zoomable / Zoom to Flood / ZFL / Focusable lights out there?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done some initial online searching and haven't found any, yet, so I'm checking here.

I've got a 1 AA Coast HP5 that is pretty handy for it's zoom and flood and have a Microstream with the two-way clip for use on a hat brim and was thinking that a 1 AAA zoomie with a two-way clip could be quite versatile and not too large for hat brim use.

Multiple power levels would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

Additional search terms focusing and ZTF

Thanks.

Last edited:

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Only one I know is LED Lenser M3R which uses a lithium ion rechargable to achieve 200L on high. May reach 100L on Ni-Mh..

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one I know is LED Lenser M3R which uses a lithium ion rechargable to achieve 200L on high. May reach 100L on Ni-Mh..

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I don't need real high lumens, heck, 100 or 150 would likely be more than adequate. 50 or 75 would probably serve most purposes.

It's the small and light format, combined with the zoom / focusing features and two-way clip that are most desirable.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have discovered the Coast HP2 1AAA, which is only 1 mode at 85 lumens, which, I suspect, it won't support for long on 1AAA. It also appears to be a cool white and I'd prefer more neutral or warmish tint. I can't find any local to try.

Any 2 stage - Hi / Lo 1AAA zoomies out there?

Any warm or neutral tint 1AAA ZTF lights out there.

A reversible or two-way clip would be appreciated for use on a hat brim.

Also, are there any 2AAA zoomie options other than the Coast HP3R, Coast HP3 and LED Lenser M3R?

Also interested in 1AAA zoomies smaller than the Coast HX5 that I've been carrying for the last week. Preferably two light levels - Hi / Low.

Thanks.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Lenser P3 AFS P

It's smaller than the M3R. No modes though.

If you run it on 10440, it goes direct drive. Burns out the boost circuit so it will never run on 1.5v AAA again. But it's really quite bright on direct drive. This light is also fairly easy to emitter swap to any XPG sized emitter (Nichia 219C works well).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick to the small Coasts and small Lensers. Evilbay is full of little zoomies from dozens of XXXXFire brands with ads making outrageous claims(1000 lumens on 1xAA)avoid those at all costs they are more likely too short circuit than work properly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I get home I'll check how the Microstream clip fits a Mag Solitaire. My thought is a bit of tape wrap may be needed....hmmm. But it's certainly small and lighter than the Microstream.
The LED solitaire is way way brighter than the incan version. And you can diffuse all that extra light if need be by twisting it to flood mode.

Edit:

^^ fits like it was meant to be there.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get home I'll check how the Microstream clip fits a Mag Solitaire. My thought is a bit of tape wrap may be needed....hmmm. But it's certainly small and lighter than the Microstream.
The LED solitaire is way way brighter than the incan version. And you can diffuse all that extra light if need be by twisting it to flood mode.

How's the Solitare beam? I don't really like the beam on my Maglite 2AA LED models. I much prefer the beam of the Coast HP5 and HX5.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe check into the LED Lenser P2BM.

I just ordered a couple from BrightGuy with a slew of Microstream clips and wrist lanyards.

The P2 comes with a one way clip, yet can be replaced by a Microstream 2 way.... Like a buck 95 each.
The P2 is $18.95.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any 2 power level 1 AAA zoomies? The high power units don't have much run time and need a lower level, as well.

light-modder

Enlightened
Could someone list these lights? I'd like to look at them as I have in the past wanted one and thought I was going to have to make one.

Maybe we can do a driver swap for modes.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any new options in the last 9 months? I haven't identified any. Getting tired of my Coast HP3 bulk and weight, though I love the flood and focus beams it provides.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mbi hf can be bought with a zoom head. But its using a 3,7V 10440 and not a 1,5 V AAA.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mbi hf can be bought with a zoom head. But its using a 3,7V 10440 and not a 1,5 V AAA.

That is a very interesting (and expensive) light, indeed. The standard beam may be floody enough, so I may not go for the zoom head.

It's all kind of a moot point, since I don't think any are available. I'd have to do a bit more research before laying out that kind of coin.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought a Mag Solitaire LED on impulse when I saw it at Home Depot. I was curious about this light's beam quality and am quite pleased with the beam, even though there isn't a full flood option without removing the lens for candle mode.

The tint is white and quite tolerable to me. Even though the flood mode isn't very floody, I still like that it comes on in it's less-focused spot mode and only requires a bit of a further rotation to sharpen the focus.

I rarely buy twist activated lights, but the action on this one is quite smooth and easy to operate. I've been looking for a 1 AAA focusing light with a click switch and multiple power levels, but haven't identified any with even a single power level.

47 lumens is too bright for many purposes. The LED Solitaire is waaaaaay brighter with a waaay better beam quality than the old incandescent Solitaires of 20 years ago.

I'm surprised now much I like this light, but I'm not sure how I'd carry it, if I did carry it, since one of it's shining characteristics is how easy it is to mouth hold for hand's-free use, so I wouldn't want it clipped onto anything. At 47 lumens, I suspect that the battery wouldn't last too long, either, but I haven't seen any runtime charts on these newest Mag Solitaire LED lights.

sbslider

Enlightened
According to a review on Amazon, the mag solitaire runs about 90 minutes on a nimh rechargable, and is a bit dimmer due to the lower voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R3O81JIGEI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Having a focusable AAA light interests me as well, can you get a pretty tight spot our of it? All my AAAs are floody, which in general is fine, but having a tight beam on one would be ince.

parametrek

Enlightened
You've named all of the focusable 1xAAA lights that I have listed and most of the 2xAAA lights too. Other focusable 2xAAA options include the Led Lenser P4BM (single mode), the Coast TX3 (two modes and strobe), and the 2AAA Mini Maglite (single mode).

For multi-mode, some DIY might be in order. Take a Lenser with a great focus mechanism and combine it with a multi-mode driver from a generic 1xAAA light. Assuming of course that the Lenser is friendly to modification.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still haven't found a multi-mode 1AAA Zoomie or focusing light, though there's likely some I don't know about.

Actually, I haven't identified any single mode 1AAA Zoomies that aren't listed above.

I don't really consider my Mag Solitaire 47 lumen to be a Zoomie and it's focus adjustment is very minimal.

My Factor Equipment Mizpah 130 is still my preferred 1AAA pocket light that serves very admirably as a hands-free light clipped to a hat brim, primarily because of the best two-way clip that I've ever encountered - it fits on thick-brimmed hats better than any other I have encountered and always returns to it's original shape and tension. It has 3 power modes that are well spaced and is rather floody.

I'll likely buy a Coast HP2 1AAA fucusing light soon to see how it meets my desires. My main concern with it is that the tint might be as blue as the 2AAA Coast HP3 and that it may end up dead, like my HP3 did.

In the 2AAA arena, I found a $3.99 Country Trails APL150 150 lumen light with sliding focus at our local Rural King store that I like way better than my now dead Coast HP3. The APL150 beam pattern is much smoother and uniform and the tint is much whiter (no hint of blue) than the Coast HP3. The Country Trails APL150 appears to be available only at Rural King.

The quest continues.

Any 1AAA zoomies out there that I haven't discovered, yet? Please direct me to them.