Lithium 123's now on DEA watchlist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuego

Newly Enlightened
Lithium 123\'s now on DEA watchlist!

Good morning,
I don't usually post but I greatly enjoy CPF and my Surefires!This news story has me a bit upset and I need to share with you.
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/columnists/colmoroney01222004.htm The article basically says that the DEA has decided that Lithium batteries are a precursor for producing methamphetamine.Walmart is now limiting purchases.Maybe it is a precursor.I DON'T KNOW!
Flashlights are a nice,harmless,nonoffensive hobby of mine.Hell,I don't even flash animals!It seems that any time I find something that gives me a tiny bit of pleasure and relaxation,someone screws it up.Now it's the DEA?It's a screwed up country when Homeland Security and/or DEA cares about flashlight batteries.This makes me sad.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Lithium 123\'s now on DEA watchlist!

bummer so 4 123,s is a lot?

Greta

Flashaholic

First... let's not blow this out of proportion. This is a Walmart thing... I work at KMart and we don't limit lithium battery sales. In addition, the whole thing with psuedoephadrine is selective at best. Not ALL products containing the stuff are limited... by the computer. I can scan one box of Sudafed brand cold/allergy medicine and have to ask for ID. But if I scan a box of AmericanFare (Kmart brand), it just goes right through without any prompt for age verification. On the otherhand, I have to card for spray paint and some kinds of glue/adhesives and for those single-edge razor blades used for scraping paint or whatever.

The whole thing with the lithium batteries is that they CAN be an indication of illegal activities... in conjunction with many other factors. We've discussed this previously. Just because you have a buttload of lithium batteries, doesn't mean you're going to jail. There has to be other criteria as well.

Don't blame the Feds for this one... blame the assholes who are cookin' the poop that is being sold to your children.

Greta

Flashaholic

And one other thing...

[ QUOTE ]
...while the average employee is paid $8.23 an hour, well below union wages for comparable jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know where THAT Walmart is!! That would be a considerable raise for me!! And I'm one of the highest paid cashiers at my KMart... they started me higher because I was so over-qualified for the job and the assistant manager is a friend... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, that is sad. I wonder when they'll come up with a background check and waiting period for lithium batts too? Meth production and abuse is a huge problem though, but I'm not sure if this law helps or is just another nuisance.

TSG

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Don't blame the Feds for this one... blame the assholes who are cookin' the poop that is being sold to your children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice about not blowing it out of proprtion. (at least until they make battery manufactures report my shipments). But I can't say I really blame the assholes alone. We need to see that they get 40 years for doing it!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

The stupid drug war that Nixon began in the 60's may well haunt us. It would not surprise me if online orders for a dozen 123's will be jeopardized. You may get an unwanted knock on your door someday.

This is why those who don't use drugs should be concerned too. Under the guise of fighting drugs, our homes, money and property can be seized. Why are we repeating the costly mistake of alcohol prohibition which failed 80 years ago? I'll answer that - it's pure politics. The pols believe they'll get more votes from you.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

this still stinks some low life drug dealers we cant buy batterys with out looking like a bad person.i wanted to buyat least 20 of em on pay day

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Sasha it sounds like small potatoes type stuff that they're worried about, I mean I'm sure that there are other more nefarious ways that manufacturers of meth can get lithiums, like warehouse breakin's or truck jackings or even stealing from inside an establishment, right. Chengiz would probably be able to enlighten us more about this type of activity, eh?

TSG

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

I'm certainly no expert, but wouldn't it be difficult to extract lithium from batteries? Don't they still contain some pretty nasty chemicals beyond lithium.

I just checked eBay and you can but the pure metal there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

didnt they use lithium as a salt substute a long time ago i know thats how they came up with the medicine called lithium

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

TSG,
Actually the primay way is still the "hit,and run". A bunch of them will hit a town, and steal, or buy as many as they can, then blow out. Or for the connected ones, guess what, order them online.(Can you say tracking from all battery resalers). Perhaps we have already forgotten Las Vegas on New Years. Every motel, and hotel was required to submit a list of guest to the FBI. Hmmmm?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
I'm certainly no expert, but wouldn't it be difficult to extract lithium from batteries? Don't they still contain some pretty nasty chemicals beyond lithium.

I just checked eBay and you can but the pure metal there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You ever see a meth addict? I don't think that the meth cookers are really worried about the health of their clientel and therefore are not concerned too much if their product contains toxic byproducts, hell, most of the ingredients and processing chemicals are toxic.

TSG

Greta

Flashaholic

Well considering that they also use stuff like toluene and Drano to produce meth, I doubt they really care about those "other nasty chemicals"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

browntown

Newly Enlightened

Not to drift off topic too much, but the local papers are calling my home town of Salem, OR the meth capital of the US. That may be an exagerration, but this town of 150,000ppl is now seeing a very large increase in crime in very rapid order. The press is squarely blaming it on meth. As someone who had his fun in college, and has always been on the side of loosening drug laws, meth seems to have a disproportional level of harm on our communities than other drugs. Here is an article from my local paper.

fuego

Newly Enlightened

Dear CPFers,
I agree that meth sucks.Possessing precursors can be used to establish intent.Producing it is considered a terrorist act(WMD).This falls under the Patriot Act(I and II).What if you were found with lithium and Pseudephedrine(cold medicine)or red phosphorus(matches),or CASH,etc....?
A determined LEO might be willing to pursue this,leading to search,seizure,forfeiture of property.Maybe that's stretching it a bit,but so is tracking battery purchases.

Greta

Flashaholic

Fuego... you should post more often... I like you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

what do they consider to many? im sick of paying 7 bucks a peice for em at walmart so will they look at me odd if i order 20 online ? i can get 20 online for what i pay for 3 localy

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
what do they consider to many? im sick of paying 7 bucks a peice for em at walmart so will they look at me odd if i order 20 online ? i can get 20 online for what i pay for 3 localy

[/ QUOTE ]

While I know of no "official" tracking list at this time, neither did the people of Vegas know they were going to be part of the FBI guest list.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just 20?

Heck I buy 7 boxes at a time when I order from Surefire, so I can get the free shipping ... that is 84 batteries.

I'm also sure I have some Claritin-D in the house that contains Pseudophedrine.

I guess I better lock the doors and close the curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.