User experience/trouble with Nitecore I4 / I2 Chargers

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I am curious as to everyone's experience with the Nitecore i series chargers? We work with them regularly and they are an easy recommendation. I know some of the slides are tough, but was corrected with the upgrade. But what other issues have you personally experienced.

I currently have someone telling me that the tension on the spring is so tight that it crushed, not one but six of his batteries!!! He has video proof.

His message:
I RECORDED VIDEO OF YOUR ITEM SHOWING IT IS DEFECTIVE IN TGE FIRST BATTERY SLOT. THE SPRING HAS AN OVERLOADED TENSION IN WHICH WHEN THE BATTERY IS PLACED IN TO (AS PER INSTRUCTIONS IN THE ONLINE MANUAL FROM INTELLICHARGER I4) IT PUTS WAYY TOO MUCH PRESSURE AGAINST THE BATTERY AND IN TURN HAS DAMAGED THE BATTERIES

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an i4 v.2 charger and mine has worked fine, although I don't use it all the much.

The knock on the i4 v.2 was that more than a couple of people reported that their charger overcharged li-ions, meaning above and beyond 4.25v. One guy was getting 4.27v-4.28v and others had similar issues. This could also be exacerbated by one using a crappy DMM, or one with a dying battery, but there were reports of 'high' charging.

While not a dangerous situation per se, especially with protected cells, it's not good for the lifespan of your li-ions.

I've read of a couple/few dying i2s and i4s and then the infamous 'plug ka-boom,' where a couple of people had the same thing happen and there was a loud pop when they went to unplug the AC cord, from the charger side and/or the wall socket. One poor guy's wife was unplugging the charger and practically soiled her undergarments.

Seemed like the AC cords and connectors were able to fail and create a dead short.

I've got a lot of boutique/pimpy chargers now and some sliders are harder to manage than others, especially if you're trying to steady the charger with one hand, while inserting the battery with the other and there are slots that have batteries in them already.

A little bit of 'juggling' acumen comes in handy.

I've never read of a charger physically damaging a battery, or cell, much like certain flashlights are prone to do. 'Battery Crushers' we call them.

Chris

andrewnewman

Enlightened
No issue with the spring tension on mine. I tend to use a D4 more these days but found the I4 to have a pretty typical set of springs. Perhaps this individual got a defective unit. Given the design of most sliders it would have to be awfully stiff to actually damage a battery.

ven

Flashaholic
Not a bad charger, it is slow, does what it says on the box, cheap, quite cheerful...........

If can stretch, maybe the d4 as more modern, or look at xtar chargers. For a good performer do it all, check the opus bt c3100 v2.2/3400 out.........all 4 bays at 1a comes in useful.

Latest posts