Surefire LX2 type 2-stage tailcaps - why discontinued?

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed that surefire has now removed all of the dual stage 2-mode pressure tailcaps from their line (LX2, A2 Aviator). Were these tailcaps considered reliable? Any idea why they're gone?

Thinking about mounting a single mode Malkoff scout head to an LX2 and getting 2 modes out of it - but having a hard time finding a reasonably priced LX2.....

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Kestrel,

In the other thread you mention the 10 ohms resistor in the LX2 cap and how the low mode might not be low at all using for example, the 350 lumen Malkoff E2T Scout Head.... If that's true it sort of ruins the idea doesn't it!

Love the E2T head Malkoff produces, but want a low mode too!!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
IIRC, the reason the 10-ohm resistor still made an effective 'Low' in the 200+ lm LX2 (compared to the 20lm Gen5 L1, the 65lm Gen6 L1, and the 100lm L2 - all of which had the 10-ohm tailcap resistor) was that the LX2 driver sensed when the resistor was inline to the circuit and moderated its output accordingly. This is from what I've read tho - I've never owned an LX2.

Out of curiosity, what I have tried was to install a 1400+ lumen Moddoo XPG Triple (direct drive), in a SF C2 that had a 250-ohm modded Z41 two-stage tailcap (the legendary & rare McC2S).
In that case, I estimated that the new 'low' was ~20 lumen - and would never want to see what happens if all that amperage had to go through a measly 10 ohms, that's for sure.

A true cutting-edge upgraded LX2 could work, but it would be a very significant undertaking - by a very experienced & capable modder.
Although those tailcaps are great (I happen to have a few, <cough> ), but even I wonder if the massive effort would be worth it in the end ...

IMG_8510.jpg

Solving the SureFire HA-NAT ano mismatch issue - or, another L1/L2 thread

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am so bummed two days after losing my 6th Gen L1 upgraded with a 5000K XP-G2(I work at an ER, a doctor borrowed it and set it on a table and it is GONE).
I only have the LX2 now, I have other SF torches but those two with the 2 stage switch are irreplaceable.
Hopefully the EB1 300 lumem comes out with the 2 stage switch.
I'll take them over all those new lighta coming out every day with a dozen modes and astounding output for a few minutes.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There is an eb1-t for sale in the market. Does that have the 2 stage cap you like?

gottawearshades

Enlightened
A modded L2 and a Kroma are two lights I still use because of this UI.

You can program an HDS to duplicate most of the functionality, btw: Momentary high and low from off, and constant low with momentary high.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has lost their minds!, I too am so disappointed. I browsed through their catalog only to shake my head. Now we all now Surefire and their catalogs, but they already have the parts, so yeah no more 2 stage tailcaps. I don't think anyone at Surefire actually uses their lights anymore. The turn they have taken over the years is crap. I miss the Surefire of yesterday when they actually made lights that users loved. Having said all that, I ordered a new E1D with the hopes that maybe THIS time I will grow to get by with the click for high then click again for low. I have been carrying my E1L-A for awhile now and have grown used to low then high. I sure wish they would reintroduce the LX2!.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
I share the same sentiments on the LX2 and 2-stage tails as you Teak. The LX2 is a damn good light that to me is well deserving of remaining in the surefire lineup. Sure would have been nice to see an updated 500 lumen version even though the old one still kicks ***.
I still to this day don't understand why Surefire never released the LX1? I'd love to know what the decision makers at SF were thinking when they gave that concept the axe. They definitely dropped the ball on that one..

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am so bummed two days after losing my 6th Gen L1 upgraded with a 5000K XP-G2(I work at an ER, a doctor borrowed it and set it on a table and it is GONE).
I only have the LX2 now, I have other SF torches but those two with the 2 stage switch are irreplaceable.
Hopefully the EB1 300 lumem comes out with the 2 stage switch.
I'll take them over all those new lighta coming out every day with a dozen modes and astounding output for a few minutes.

Hope the doc is going to pay for it?

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, exactly. The LX2 Ultra should have been released. The same good ole 2 stage tailcap. 15 lumen low and 500 lumen high. The LX1 as well. 10 lumen low and 300 lumen high. My LX2 was my most carried light. Everyday for 3 years. Then I give it away as a gift and sure wish I wouldn't have. I have had 3 over the years and now I don't have one..bad on my part. If surefire released the LX2 Ultra and LX1, I would by 10 of each and just put them away!..
I share the same sentiments on the LX2 and 2-stage tails as you Teak. The LX2 is a damn good light that to me is well deserving of remaining in the surefire lineup. Sure would have been nice to see an updated 500 lumen version even though the old one still kicks ***.
I still to this day don't understand why Surefire never released the LX1? I'd love to know what the decision makers at SF were thinking when they gave that concept the axe. They definitely dropped the ball on that one..

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I too am disappointed to see that Surefire has removed the 2 stage lights from the website. It was my favorite feature. My L1 and LX2 are some of my favorite lights. I may need to find an EB2 tactical before they are all gone.

I discovered the L1 after they were long discontinued and paid a lot to get one.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Is Surefire killing the two-stage switch?

I went to check the EB2's page today and the reference to two different models, one with a click-switch and one with a 'tactical' (two-stage) switch, has disappeared. There appears to only be one model.

All the other ones appear to be going or gone, too - the LX2 Ultra is gone. The only one left is the A2L Aviator, which is an extremely old design at this point, clocking in at only 120 lumens it can't be long for this world.

None of their new lights have the two-stage switch - it's all a clickfest from here.

Can they really be killing the two-stage switch?

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Is Surefire killing the two-stage switch?

Jellydonut- There is a similar thread going in LED flashlights right now, I'm going to merge this into it. Good question though, I hate to see them go...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

I've put a Scout head on my LX2 and the difference between levels is very slight. I still love my LX2 in stock form, though.

Dingle1911

Enlightened

So since these awesome switches are now discontinued. Does this mean a new model is coming or is SF just done with 2 stage switches?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that surefire has now removed all of the dual stage 2-mode pressure tailcaps from their line (LX2, A2 Aviator). Were these tailcaps considered reliable? Any idea why they're gone?

Looks like the LX2 and A2L are still in the online catalog on the SF website. A few more legacy lights are still in the online NSN list.

I'd say the SF UB3T still has a version of the two stage tailcap.

Some more LX2 revival talk on this recent thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?416230-Surefire-LX2-is-BACK!!

airrick

Newly Enlightened

I'm curious about this too. I see they are still on the Surefire website. Is this the last chance to order? They seem to be "discontinued" on every other site. Any info on where Surefire is going with this line next?