protected or unprotected ?

orbitalforest

Newly Enlightened
Hi , I've today ordered an Olight SR52UTvn and Vinh recommends unprotected cells for the torch as it gives max output .
What safety concerns should i have if i get unprotected cells ?
I have a stock SR52 already with protected cells and i generally do a top up charge after every time i use it so it's fully charged each time i take it out ( i did fully discharge the cells 3 times at first to condition them though ) , i probably use it 3 or 4 times a week for about 45 minutes to an hour and never more than an hour at a time.
I charge them inside the torch using a usb charger so never have to take them out really.
Would i have to do anything different with unprotected cells ?
If i stick with protected cells what sort of percentage power output am i losing compared to unprotected ? Is it a significant difference or not enough to worry about ?
Sorry guys one last question , on my usage of a few hours a week how long can i expect my existing olight 3400mah 3.6v protected cells to last ? I've had them around 3 months now.
Any help and advice much appreciated .
I'm getting there slowly but surely .:)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
The sr52vn is fine on protected as its not a high output light, so fine to use either tbh.

Treat both the same protected/unprotected...........with common sense and respect basically.

If you are loosing output , it would be after maybe 30 mins of use, the high drain cells would suffer less from voltage sag being direct drive in high,so ouput would be a little brighter for longer. However, to the eye i dont think you would be able to tell on this light.

So for this light i would not say significant

Years..........

Once you notice they do not last as long, or maybe not charge past 4.16v due to built up resistance(can still use anyway), but if it matters recycle. I still use cells 5+ years on, dont perform as well as new, still perform to a satisfactory standard for me!

Imo of course:)

orbitalforest

Newly Enlightened
The sr52vn is fine on protected as its not a high output light, so fine to use either tbh.

Treat both the same protected/unprotected...........with common sense and respect basically.

If you are loosing output , it would be after maybe 30 mins of use, the high drain cells would suffer less from voltage sag being direct drive in high,so ouput would be a little brighter for longer. However, to the eye i dont think you would be able to tell on this light.

So for this light i would not say significant

Years..........

Once you notice they do not last as long, or maybe not charge past 4.16v due to built up resistance(can still use anyway), but if it matters recycle. I still use cells 5+ years on, dont perform as well as new, still perform to a satisfactory standard for me!

Imo of course:)

Thanks for the advice ven, much appreciated .
I'll probably just stick to protected cells then.:)

ven

Flashaholic
I always used either efest 3400 protected(pany B inside) in the sr52vn and srminiVN , the latter around 3500lm LED lumens and issue free. I even used pany B protected in my original tk75vn at 4000lm..........as the A draw(and cell lay out) did not require high drain cells.

With using the inbuilt charger, imo it does make better sense also. Using a meter, it may detect a slight increase, to the eye you will not tell.

Cheers

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought the 52 couldnt use unprotected cells as there is no raised point for them to connect to? meh regardless the 3500mah Keeppowers I run in mine seem too power it perfectly so hmm

ven

Flashaholic
Iirc celtic, some models may have had the + end raised........may have just been the mini. But as far as i know, button tops are required on the sr52, as for the UT i dont know!. Luckily either way button or flat top are available in IMR flavour. The 3500mah 10a KP's are a fantastic cell to use, high mah and a respectable(more than needed for most lights) 10a rating!

recDNA

Flashaholic
A Vinh light is not the same as a standard model. You really should address your questions to him. The only protected cells I would recommend are AW. (but again only if vinh gives the ok) Do not buy batteries from ebay or amazon. Lots of fakes out there. Buy from authorized dealer only.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Vinh light is not the same as a standard model. You really should address your questions to him. The only protected cells I would recommend are AW. (but again only if vinh gives the ok) Do not buy batteries from ebay or amazon. Lots of fakes out there. Buy from authorized dealer only.

Ebay maybe but, I have bought a few batteries from Amazon and have never had a problem. Even if you do, its free shipping back to them and they will investigate and ban 3rd party sellers selling fakes. Amazon.ca sells both Thrunite 3400mah and Olight 3400mah(both NCR18650b based). And, they are fulfilled by Amazon so no third party issues and faster shipping(also I highly doubt fulfilled by Amazon would ever be fakes). I would check with Vinh for recommendations however.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ebay maybe but, I have bought a few batteries from Amazon and have never had a problem. Even if you do, its free shipping back to them and they will investigate and ban 3rd party sellers selling fakes. Amazon.ca sells both Thrunite 3400mah and Olight 3400mah(both NCR18650b based). And, they are fulfilled by Amazon so no third party issues and faster shipping(also I highly doubt fulfilled by Amazon would ever be fakes). I would check with Vinh for recommendations however.
This assumes you can recognize a fake. It can be very, very difficult. I stick to authorized dealers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

This!!!!!!!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This assumes you can recognize a fake. It can be very, very difficult. I stick to authorized dealers.

There really is no authorized dealers though for most cells. Almost all the major cell manufactures wont sell cells to companies for our uses apparently. It is hard to even get them to sell cells when a PTC is being put on the battery. Buying from a trusted company is safer maybe because they ensure quality after they do the rebrand(put on different colour shrink wrap and sometimes a PTC on)but, they are not really authorized cell dealers because Panasonic/Sanyo for instance doesnt even condone what the cells are being used for. There are exceptions like maybe AW but, Im pretty sure Panasonic/Sanyo, LG, and Samsung dont authorize their cells for our uses.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally have not had an issue buying rebranded cells from Thrunite, Olight, Nitecore, Fenix, exc. from anywhere but, I would be more concerned buying bare cells from weird places for sure.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There really is no authorized dealers though for most cells. Almost all the major cell manufactures wont sell cells to companies for our uses apparently. It is hard to even get them to sell cells when a PTC is being put on the battery. Buying from a trusted company is safer maybe because they ensure quality after they do the rebrand(put on different colour shrink wrap and sometimes a PTC on)but, they are not really authorized cell dealers because Panasonic/Sanyo for instance doesnt even condone what the cells are being used for. There are exceptions like maybe AW but, Im pretty sure Panasonic/Sanyo, LG, and Samsung dont authorize their cells for our uses.
AW has authorized dealers. I only purchase AW. Orbtronic has legit Panasonic/Sanyo cells.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW has authorized dealers. I only purchase AW. Orbtronic has legit Panasonic/Sanyo cells.

So you say but, nowhere on Orbronic's site do they claim they are a Panasonic/Sanyo authorized dealer nor do they say that they buy their cells direct from Panasonic/Sanyo either that I am aware of. I am not saying they are not authentic cells but, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Thrunite, Eagletac, exc all use the same cells as well. I am not saying that fake cells are not out there but, there are plenty of places and people that rebrand and sell them that are safe to buy from. I highly doubt a fulfilled by Amazon cell would be fake(maybe a 3rd party seller but, your still covered under Amazons warranty if their was an issue). Any rebrand from almost any domestic reputable flashlight store should be safe as well imo. Now, Ebay and offshore stores/sites are what I would stay away from.

recDNA

Flashaholic
True that. Panasonic has no authorized dealers direct to public so I buy AW

Direct from Amazon rather than 3rd party on Amazon in probably safer. I will stick with AW though.

Last edited: