Paranoid About Using Flashlights Outdoors (in neighborhoods, cities, etc)?

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me or do any of you get paranoid about using your flashlights outdoors? I live in an average middle class suburban neighborhood and I often think people will be suspicious if they see me using a flashlight at night and may call the cops. For example, there's a pond very close to me that has a walking path around it, which I use frequently during the day - but I think if I use a flashlight to walk around it at night, the people with homes backing on the pond will be wondering, "what's he doing out there with a flashlight?" Similarly, there's a large recreation field nearby with several baseball fields, soccer fields, open space, etc; it'd be a great place to test a flashlight, but then people might be wondering, "what the hell is he doing with that bright flashlight out there?" And if a cop drove by, most likely they would stop and ask questions (I've had a lot of experience with cops stopping & asking questions when I was a teenager and hung around outside a lot at night). Heck, even when I test my flashlights in my backyard (which backs onto woods), I imagine my neighbors wondering, "what is he looking for in the wood?!"

It seems in suburbia, people are suspicious of anything out of the ordinary. I'd imagine living in more rural areas, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Anyone else have this paranoia? Have any of you had run-ins with neighbors and cops wondering why you're using a flashlight?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine that as long as your now shining your light into their property, you won't have an issue.

Some areas have park rules banning entrance after dusk. Someone seeing a light in those areas probably will get you a visit.

Your lake area, if you're walking on the path and shining the light into the water probably won't get much notice, especially after they see you do it a few times. Shining the light as someones house or entering onto their lawn will get you visibility with the local law enforcement community.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Whereabouts do you live? Seems like Australia or the UK where the law abiding lives in fear of causing offence or having to speak to the police.

Firstly, someone with nefarious intentions are certainly not going to draw attention to themselves by shining a very bright light up and down.

Secondly, someone with nefarious intentions would most likely not like to be in the vicinity of such a light, lest they get exposed.

Thirdly, if there is no law preventing you from using your property in public (like green laser etc), then whoever tells you otherwise can kindly and politely go and fly a kite.

MX421

Enlightened
Thirdly, if there is no law preventing you from using your property in public (like green laser etc), then whoever tells you otherwise can kindly and politely go and fly a kite.

+1

As a teenager, i worried about what people would think when i didn't wear the right brand of clothes. I'm over that now ;)

Seriously though, i remember reading another post on here awhile back where someone had the neighborhood security called on them for doing precisely as the OP stated. No charges were filed i don't think, but they were hassled.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Generally no, however i can not get any benefit around me from most of my lights potential so does require open areas/parks etc.
Outside other than testing out stuff, i keep lights aimed low and low ouput(sub 1000lm) and more flood orientated .

Can understand though, naturally people are suspicious of flashlight beams, even in doors as it can look like burglars! and around properties. A lot depends on area and how your neighbors are as well.

Sometimes at the country park it can feel a little odd(dont care at all about that or what others think tbh anyway) with the high output lights, odd dog walker with their £2 asda throw away light........few comments time to time but positive.

Just fun stuff ..........Just dont ware a balaclava whilst using your flashlight :laughing:

kj2

Flashaholic
Had that same feeling, when I started to collect and use flashlights. Back then, I only used them when there weren't people around.
But now, some neighbors know that I've quality lights so they know who is outside. Plus, I only use my light when I really need a light. Of course, don't shine at people, animals or into people their houses.
I do shine into vehicles that need to be light-up. But that's mostly because they're parked suspiciously. Otherwise, there is no need.

1DaveN

Enlightened
My parents' house is in a suburban neighborhood with no street lights, and I really appreciate people who walk with flashlights. There's little traffic there, people don't seem to be too careful - I've had a couple of situations where my car was uncomfortably close to someone before I saw them. As for the pond, as long as it's public property, I would think your light would let people know you're somewhere you're allowed to be, instead of wondering that you might be skulking around in yards. I live in an urban area where I don't really need a light when walking around, but I carry one even though I seldom use it.

theafterlife

Newly Enlightened
I live in a urban area and use a flashlight daily for dog walking. I have never had an issue and i keep mine on the highest output. I wouldn't worry about it your not doing anything illegal. People use flashlights at public areas all the time. Specially in the winter time when it is dark often.

You should feel worried or ashamed of lighting an area so you can see.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh. As a large, non-white male, I'm probably a little more aware of public scrutiny. That said, be mindful of how you're acting with a flashlight - as others have noted, don't light up someone else's house or property, unless you can provide a good explanation afterwards, if needed: I heard a rustling in the bushes near me, for example.

I suspect a great deal of attention will be paid to *how* you use the light - again, as others have noted, if people notice something odd, or out of the ordinary, like someone skulking about a property with a flashlight, they'll pay more attention. Versus someone standing around, openly, with a flashlight - "oh, probably Bob looking for that cat again." Scenario 1, someone doesn't want to be seen. Scenario 2, not hiding, probably has legitimate business, cool.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine that as long as your now shining your light into their property, you won't have an issue.

Some areas have park rules banning entrance after dusk. Someone seeing a light in those areas probably will get you a visit.

Your lake area, if you're walking on the path and shining the light into the water probably won't get much notice, especially after they see you do it a few times. Shining the light as someones house or entering onto their lawn will get you visibility with the local law enforcement community.
Coming from living in a rural area on a farm to living in an apartment complex, I wonder the same thing when using my lights. No one here seems to think any thing of it when I'm shining my lights into the open area between the apartment buildings. I don't shine them into any of the apartments, at people, etc. so I don't really see the issue. If the cops were to stop me I don't think it would be a big deal and heck I might even be able to introduce an officer to a wider variety of lights.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or do any of you get paranoid about using your flashlights outdoors? I live in an average middle class suburban neighborhood and I often think people will be suspicious if they see me using a flashlight at night and may call the cops. For example, there's a pond very close to me that has a walking path around it, which I use frequently during the day - but I think if I use a flashlight to walk around it at night, the people with homes backing on the pond will be wondering, "what's he doing out there with a flashlight?" Similarly, there's a large recreation field nearby with several baseball fields, soccer fields, open space, etc; it'd be a great place to test a flashlight, but then people might be wondering, "what the hell is he doing with that bright flashlight out there?" And if a cop drove by, most likely they would stop and ask questions (I've had a lot of experience with cops stopping & asking questions when I was a teenager and hung around outside a lot at night). Heck, even when I test my flashlights in my backyard (which backs onto woods), I imagine my neighbors wondering, "what is he looking for in the wood?!"

It seems in suburbia, people are suspicious of anything out of the ordinary. I'd imagine living in more rural areas, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Anyone else have this paranoia? Have any of you had run-ins with neighbors and cops wondering why you're using a flashlight?

Dont let the paranoid sheeple ruin your fun man. You are doing nothing wrong. Use your flashlights as you see fit and if anyone questions it just tell them you like flashlights and are testing them. People that carry pocket and belt knives as tools have this same issue and I give the same advice. As long as you arent breaking any laws then dont worry about what others think. Its none of their business and you shouldnt let the fear mongerers control how you live your life.

Just dont shine your lights onto private property and/or into others houses as others have said.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the cops were to stop me I don't think it would be a big deal and heck I might even be able to introduce an officer to a wider variety of lights.

I had to take my Dad to the ER a couple of weeks ago. The hospital has their own security as well as the local police that are there for prisoner medical issues.

In order to get into the ER examination area, you have to get a pass. The local officer was standing at the desk talking with security when I walked up asking for the pass when I noticed the officer had a light in his vest. I asked what model when he removed the light and handed it to me, a Streamlight Stinger. I handed over my Fenix TK35UE.

He liked the light enough that I gave him a link for purchase. I saw him again last week, now carrying the TK35UE.

It sucks when your parents get old.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Doesn't anyone else have a "safe haven" for using lights without being judged. A few UK members may back me up here, but around the lake district national park it feels so normal to walk/hike late on after dark aided by torches. Everyone is either outdoorsy or country folk so nobody thinks twice about it. In fact, people will even give you a cheery hello as you walk past.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I live in a pretty rural area, and I doubt that anyone would have much to say about my light one way or another. Nevertheless I usually walk without the light being on unless it is so dark that I can't see where I am stepping. I reserve my light for unusually dark nights, or when I want to identify something...or I'll flash it sometimes if I'm on a road and a car is approaching just to make myself more visible.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live in America I would suggest reading up on the differences between a "consensual encounter" & "being detained" & your rights & options within those two scenario's when a law enforcement officer interacts with you.

And if your being detained respectfully inquire as to what the "PC(probable cause)" is for the detainment.

The vast majority of LEO's have IMO been very reasonable & are merely following up on a call & not necessarily trying to hassle you.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The vast majority of LEO's have IMO been very reasonable & are merely following up on a call & not necessarily trying to hassle you.

I have the same concerns as OP. Few years ago I returned to an area that I otherwise was feeling pretty comfortable, grew up around here. Oh, Augustish 2014, a young girl was garishly flirting with me, legal yet too young. I explained I could not in good faith pursue, and asked if she'd like to make a new friend instead. She was new to the area, too. Only talked to her that one time. Yada yada yada, someone called the police on me. With no crime or anything remotely resembling crime, I became an interest to local law enforcement. idk, she may be a daughter of a LEO. No real harrassment, other than some due process rights being violated, but for the reason for this anacdote, just felt LEO presence every time I left the house for several months.

So here's the reason I'm sharing. Once when I was out during the day, a uniform in an unmarked vehical, probably his personal light pickup (never seen an unmarked light pickup w/ cap), sidled up beside me on my passenger side, and was aiming what I believe was his Arc AAA flashlight at me, just above the window height. Obviously this joker is a CPF member and identified me for (my ridiculous CPF posts and) what I was doing at the public beach with my flashlights before I was banned (the due process civil rights violation I mentioned).

Ok, I really need to be less verbose, sorry. I am glad to hear I am not alone, and at least one other has concern for using flashlights at night outdoors in a perfectly legal manner. I was raised in a free country. I'm not certain where I am now. Aware of my rights, I used to be pretty bold, though always compliant, with LEO... but no more; now I am twice shy.

note: it is slightly possible I had mistaken the young girl's nervousness for flirting, as that may be my super power, to make young girls nervous. Also, I've never experienced LEO's going out of their way to harrass anyone, ever. IMHO, they simply do their jobs. Its only when a citizen spotlights you for scrutiny by unncessarily and inappropriately calling the police to make a report that trouble may occur. Because that is what police do, answer complaints. It is a busy body citizen that is the true cause of the unnecessary police-involved tragedies that the media is fervent about reporting. Obey lawful orders, folks. And just to be safe, avoid interacting with attractive young women. Again, sorry for too many words.

Last edited: