'05 Silverado lighting upgrade

calflash

Enlightened
Re: Chevy truck LED headlamps

Right now I'm switching my 30" curved Heise led light bar off and on at night, which is niether legal or the best option.

Maybe try replacing that bar with some SAE or DOT compliant driving lights. There are a few low profile options that would complement the somewhat horizontal body lines on the front end. I have no experience with them but PIAA has a couple low profile street legal light options.

I've personally been playing with the JW Speaker 9800 set in the past few days and they are fairly low profile: 4" tall x 11" wide. I think I'll even like them better for off-road than the 30" Rigid Industries light I have on my Bronco ...until I get in the tall dunes. I especially like that they are a legal way to complement both low and high beams. The only downside I see so far is that the pedestal mount isn't as easy to aim as more traditional headlight aiming systems.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CandlePowerForums!

Maybe try replacing that bar with some SAE or DOT compliant driving lights. There are a few low profile options that would complement the somewhat horizontal body lines on the front end.
Calflash's is right to suggest getting a standards-compliant set of auxiliary lights. The light bar you're using may well be worsening your ability to see.
I'd recommend other than PIAA, however.

Right now I'm switching my 30" curved Heise led light bar off and on at night, which is niether legal or the best option.
Very happy with the bar . Just want to upgrade the headlights ......
It's not an option at all. You want your auxiliary lighting to improve your situation (as well as be legal); this bar does not (and is not legal for on-road use). You may be "happy with the bar", but that doesn't mean it's improving your night driving. It may feel that way to you, but it's actually not. The curved light bars like the ones you got from BestBuy are not at all suitable for on-road use, and because of this, are making a bad vision situation even worse.

Last edited:

Climbmnts

Newly Enlightened
I love my light bar . I should not have mentioned it. This is very very high end unit not from Best Buy??

Ok no light bar. it is gone. Ripped off the front of the truck.

I just want to upgrade my headlights. No aux lighting -sorry I was not clear. Just wondering if anyone has a succinct headlight replacement option.

I'll keep looking sorry for wasting your time.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few questions:
Do you have the quad lamp setup? If so, are the plastic lenses clear and are the lamps aimed correctly?

If so, what color/types of bulbs do you have in there currently? How old are the bulbs? Are you looking to have more/better light for near beam or high beam?

There are a few options that can optimize the factory setup by providing a bit further reach and /or be brighter etc.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my light bar . I should not have mentioned it. This is very very high end unit not from Best Buy??
The first thing that came to mind when you said "30in curved Heise light bar": http://www.bestbuy.com/site/heise-3...ar-black/4270731.p?id=bb4270731&skuId=4270731

I just want to upgrade my headlights. No aux lighting -sorry I was not clear. Just wondering if anyone has a succinct headlight replacement option.
Your year Silverado doesn't seem to lend itself to the front clip swap of some model years, wherein the stylish-but-underperforming composite headlamps can be replaced neatly with rectangular headlamps from JW Speaker (like these). Auxiliary lamps may be a good option, but they must be well-chosen. Now that you've freed up some room on the front of the vehicle for road-legal auxiliary lights, there may be other JW Speaker models that can be used. Maybe one each of the high and low beams, mounted on the driver's side of the truck (with the low beam farther to the left). Or stack them, with the low beam on top (but in both cases, the center of the low beam lamp must be as high or lower than the center of the factory lamps' low beams. Careful wiring is required so that the auxiliary lamps do not come on automatically. In addition, ensure the auxiliary high beam cannot be activated while using the low beams. And with systems permitting the the normal low beams to stay on when switching to high beam, switching off the auxiliary low beam will keep you from oversaturating your foreground with light.

I'll keep looking sorry for wasting your time.
You're not wasting our time-- we're here to help. (You are wasting yours by deleting prior posts that have already been quoted.)