Best D cell batteries for my 6D Maglite with Terralux

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
Currently I just have 6 D Alkalines in my Maglite with my Terralux LED.

What D cell batteries would give me more runtime and power? Assuming I would gain more light output as well

Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently I just have 6 D Alkalines in my Maglite with my Terralux LED.

What D cell batteries would give me more runtime and power? Assuming I would gain more light output as well

Thanks

I've got two 6D MLs with TerraLux MiniStar 5s installed and I just bought Duracell alkaleaks to have for an emergency. Frankly, I looked at the Tenergy Premium D batteries, but even buying only 6, for the amount of times I actually use the light, which has been almost never over the past 10 years, I passed.

There are better lights, like the 18650 types that are cheaper, brighter and last a long time with proper chargers/cells, for me to not bother with NiMH D batteries.

YMMV.

Chris

maglite mike

Enlightened
Great non advice
I've got two 6D MLs with TerraLux MiniStar 5s installed and I just bought Duracell alkaleaks to have for an emergency. Frankly, I looked at the Tenergy Premium D batteries, but even buying only 6, for the amount of times I actually use the light, which has been almost never over the past 10 years, I passed.

There are better lights, like the 18650 types that are cheaper, brighter and last a long time with proper chargers/cells, for me to not bother with NiMH D batteries.

YMMV.

Chris

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 6D has the TerraLux 310 in it.

After numerous alkaleaks, at first I stored batteries in the brick they came in. Too much of a problem when I wanted to use.

Ended up purchasing the Eneloop AA adaptors. They provide enough power for my limited use and no issue with purchasing another charger or another $35 in batteries.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
straight up Energizer alkaline D cells. I may be wrong but I thought I read the Energizer D cells are "sealed" better against leaks. 6 Energizer alkaline D cells will power Terralux drop ins from the little drop in LED bulbs all the way up to the "1000" lumen 3xLED drop in no problem whatsoever. You can indeed get D to AA adapters but youll be cutting your run times by roughly 50%. If you do go the adapter route skip the eneloops and get a 8 pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells. At 3000mah per cell the Ultimate Lithiums crank all out until they die. Still all that would be defeating the purpose of have a big honking 6 D cell Mag. Getting 6 D NiMHs and a charger to fit them would run you an easy $100+ by themselves.

Would personally get a Malkoff XPG2 drop in for it. Simple as salt to install and the drop in is built to be as reliable as a hammer. Its only 320 lumens but boy does it throw. The Malkoff drop in can be had for 30 bucks. Buy an 8 pack of Energizer D alkalines and your set.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great non advice
Hahaha, somebody woke up with sand where it shouldn't be.

I see from your moniker that your feelings have possibly been hurt, so I'm sorry for that.

I think that I mentioned the Tenergy Premium Ds, but didn't go with that brand/model because it wasn't cost effective based on how little my two 6Ds get used, which isn't a lot, even with the more efficient MiniStar 5s installed.

With the modest load of the MS-5s, I don't think that quality alkalines like Duracell, Energizer and/or Panasonic are going to lose out on runtimes to even the higher capacity D size NiMH batteries, like PowerEx and/or AccuPower.

Forget the cost of the batteries ($8-$15) and a charger, if one doesn't have one already and it adds up.

Since the OP didn't mention a 'useage' pattern, but rather output and runtimes, we're left only to guess on whether it's cost effective, or not, for the OP to switch over?

I love my ML 6Ds and even spent $34 on both to upgrade them, but I wasn't going to drop the coin on the NiMH batteries and possibly a charger, just to use them once/twice a year, as there are much better lights out there that are infinitely smaller, brighter and lighter.

Alkalines are fine, left in their blister packs for the time that I may have to pass them out to neighbors during a hurricane power outage. Which is why they're still here.

Toodles, Chris

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I think both aspects of Chris's advice are right on.

If one really wants to use a D cell Maglight, Tenergy probably makes the NiMH D cells with the most bang for the buck. I use the Tenergy Centuras in my few D-cell devices, which I like for their low self discharge properties. I have had a few Maglights ruined by leaking alkaleaks, and with the exception of unusual cell sizes like N cell and coin cells, I have not purchased alkaleaks in about 2 years.

However, D size NiMH cells are not cheap and really limit one's charger options. I have two chargers for them, and the only one of the two I can recommend is the Powerex Maha 808M.

When one looks at the available AA, CR123, and 18650 lights, it is hard to justify the cost of proper NiMH D cells + charger, or dealing with such a large, heavy light. I have an 18650 light on my belt right now that puts out 725 lumens and, after the initial cost of 18650 cells and charger, costs me virtually nothing to run.

Last edited:

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
I'm aware there are many brighter, smaller, more efficient, lower costing flashlights than this...

Usage wouldn't be that much, not too often in a year. Handful of times I suppose.

My main concern is the alkalines leaking, which is why I'd like to get your guys opinion on some rechargeable D cells. I looked into the whole Eneloops with the D spacers but I think I'll pass on that idea.

Do you think Tenergy is the best way to go?

Thank you all for your input. :)

Those threads are 5 years old, but thanks anyways.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm aware there are many brighter, smaller, more efficient, lower costing flashlights than this...

Usage wouldn't be that much, not too often in a year. Handful of times I suppose.

My main concern is the alkalines leaking, which is why I'd like to get your guys opinion on some rechargeable D cells. I looked into the whole Eneloops with the D spacers but I think I'll pass on that idea.

Do you think Tenergy is the best way to go?

Thank you all for your input. :)

Those threads are 5 years old, but thanks anyways.

Right now, the Tenergys are probably the best way to go for cost per dollar ratio. Whether you go with their Premiums, or their Centuras, which are a bit lower in self discharge (but not like Eneloop LSD,) is up to you?

I was going to go with these guys last month, just to say that I had some, but I bought my Opus BT-3400 charger and a nice EnZo Birk 75 folding knife from Finland, instead.

I did buy 8 Eneloop Gen. 1 AA>D adapters, so I can fiddle with them and see whether they work. 8 genuine versions cost me $10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Tenergy-P...329245?hash=item4cf116f99d:g:IRsAAMXQR4FRkrDF

They'll package them in 6/8/12 battery lots.

Whether you really need the LSDish Centuras, I don't know, but they're closer to $10 a pop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Card-2-pc...192534?hash=item5adbc53a96:g:JgUAAOxyHE5RrmFW

Good luck.

Chris

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Grizzly22,

I might point out that information that is a few years old on D cells may still be current...

Tom

GunnarGG

Enlightened
My 4D Mag has a Terralux drop in, TLE-310M-EX I think it is.
I didn't want to use alkaline for the risk of leakage but didn't need hi capacity batteries since the light is never used except checking it out once in a while.
It stands next to my bed and I want it to be ready to go.
GP Recyko 5700 mAh were availible in a store where I live so that's what I got.
Plenty of runtime for my use and hold the charge well, put them in the charger about once a year to top them up.
(5700 mAh looks suspiciously like 3 x 1900 mAh AA and I think I have read that som D-cells contains 3xAA)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best one is called 18650 . Given high drain, D sized cells don't have as much capacity as it seems, they work best with low drain lites.

now serious answer. I have some 5 year old niMH D cells, forget the name but they have this white label. Still work. And are slow discharge.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
The reason why different versions of the Tenergy D cells are available is that the low self discharge chemistry comes at the price of capacity. NiMH is a very safe, easy to use technology. It doesn't develop memory, so you can recharge whenever you want without concern. However, absent the low self discharge chemistry, it does self discharge rather quickly.

Cells with higher capacity but without the low self discharge chemistry are best for heavy use, where the device is being used enough to make the capacity advantageous and to use up the charge before self-discharge even becomes an issue. Low self discharge is advantageous if the device will sit unused for awhile, so that you can turn it on a year later and still have most of the charge still available.

Tenergy Centuras are the only NiMH D cells I have personally tried, so I cannot compare them to the premiums from personal experience. I believe I read here that the Tenergy cells have remarkably low internal resistance, which is a good thing. If you shop around for other NIMH D cells, you will find some that are much more expensive. I question whether the increase in performance is commensurate with the increase in price.

jwargod

Newly Enlightened
Been happy with Tenergy D Premium batteries, but not a flashlight techie/expert with batteries.

My experience is working on a farm and rural areas as well as regularly riding a bicycle at night. I regularly use my 3D 3rd Gen Maglite Pro flashlight almost everyday so can tell you I've been happy with them so far vs the people who use them only a few times a year. Been using them for almost a year and a half now.

You might also want to look at the new "premium" battery versions of the usual brands nowadays to see how they work out. Rayovac Fusions, Duracell Quantum, and Energizer Maxes.

With a lantern I left on the farm/campus, I used both regular Duracells and Rayovacs (bulk versions from Amazon) and they seemed to work fairly well throughout the seasons. Since it was more there for the students and workers, didn't want to take the chance of expensive rechargeable being taken. I haven't had a chance to test out the new premium batteries.

See how things work out for you or do more research, alot of people here don't seem to give alot of various common batteries a chance for some reason and not seeing much being said about the new stuff.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to cost, probably go with the Tenergy and a decent charger, if only getting 6. I have not bought nimh d in a long time. Have Tenergy blue, a few Centuras, some Powerex and Titaniums. Not sure some are even made any more. To be honest, never really noticed a difference, all still work. But, they are rotated through a maha 808 every few months. Whatever drop in you have, decent nimh D will run it. Your next issue if you don't have one is a charger. For a single set of 6 cells, not sure what's out there now. I think the maha 808 is the only one I'd recommend. It price has not changed at all, maybe even gone up some. But, if you have a lot of nimh cells, its among the best options. For only 6 cells though i would find something cheaper i think. Comes down to use I guess. I used mine at the time daily. So had spares ready to go as well. But if only used every few months for a single light I'd stick with stocking up on quality alkalines.

As far as what's better when talking other battery sizes, that's a different topic.