Olight - S1 - MINI        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire MODs

Default Surefire U2 XPH50

So I have been pondering this for a while and decided it was time to tear down my 6v U2 with easywhite xm-l and mod it with the XPH50. Let me just say that without sanding the dome the beam is very, very nice!

I will be modifying another one soon and will post more pictures then.

This was one of the first XPH50 LEDs that I purchased and I do not remember the tint or output but this one is very, very warm. The downside is that my Wife used the light and has now confiscated it and claimed it as hers. Doh!

Here are the pictures.

Quick beamshot on high with exposure turned down. Excellent beam, it is much better than the easywhite which had a much more pronounced black hole no matter how well I focused it.
    Last edited by Nitroz; 03-05-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Default WIP: Surefire L1

This is still a work in prgress. But here are some photos.

Machining the pill for the 16mm noctigon U4 XM-L2.

Body bored to accept 17650, or in this case 17670.

More photos to come later. I blew a fuse on my lathe and had to order more, so it is down until the fuses come in. Arrrggghhh!

Due to a request for throw I have switched this to a reflector and a XP-E2 torch LED that will be fed 1.4 amps to the LED.

Custom glow ring

Last edited by Nitroz; 02-17-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: Surefire MODs

Glad to hear you continue your illumination work, and great to see you're using your lathe! You're breathing new life into classic SureFire flashlights.

Flashaholic*

Nice work buddy. Love your mod's. I just finished my first XHP50 U2 mod myself. Great minds think alike! Sorry. Couldn't resist. Way better spill than with the XML die. Did you cut down the ridges off the heat sink? Will allow for a copper 16mm MCPCB. Example below.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Glad to hear you continue your illumination work, and great to see you're using your lathe! You're breathing new life into classic SureFire flashlights.
    Thanks Kitro! While they are difficult to open up, they are excellent to modify!

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    Nice work buddy. Love your mod's. I just finished my first XHP50 U2 mod myself. Great minds think alike! Sorry. Couldn't resist. Way better spill than with the XML die. Did you cut down the ridges off the heat sink? Will allow for a copper 16mm MCPCB. Example below.
    Thanks!
    You know it!

I did cut down the ridges and machined the back of the reflector so that it could fit further into the reflector without shorting.

I can't wait to see how the J4 XPH50 looks in the U2 since I know what the output of that LED, and it is cooler.

At last, my sort of thread. People actually discussing modifying the Holy of Holies.
    Allow me to humbly submit my P2X mod.
    I already started a thread for it so here's the link...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ive-Dedome-Mod
    Hope it's OK.
    P
    I'm looking for an HDS 325 Clicky. If you have a spare would you please give me a shout? I'd even slum it with a Cerakote. Users would suit best, I don't deserve a posh one. Thanks. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    At last, my sort of thread. People actually discussing modifying the Holy of Holies.
    Allow me to humbly submit my P2X mod.
    I already started a thread for it so here's the link...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ive-Dedome-Mod
    Hope it's OK.
    P
    I don't mind at all.

It is hard to leave these lights alone. As with anything it will always become outdated in some way.

Great work! I love it!

Opened up 2 u2s years ago, really difficult to open without scratch.
    ~~

Flashaholic*

Not mine, but I recently discovered a decent mod, even as old as it is, for the Kroma. Already broke open one of mine and now seeing what modern "options" might suffice. Figured this thread might not be a bad place to revive this classic. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...COMPLETED-4-21
    Last edited by m4a1usr; 02-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Not mine, but I recently discovered a decent mod, even as old as it is, for the Kroma. Already broke open one of mine and now seeing what modern "options" might suffice. Figured this thread might not be a bad place to revive this classic. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...COMPLETED-4-21
    I remember doing one of those. The photos are now lost to imageshack, everything I take photos of now are on google.

Just finished up another U2 XPH50.

2nd level output

Max level

The U2 with the XPH50 has a decent hot spot and the transition to spill is very smooth. It is cranking out a lot of light. I wish I still had a DSL camera to take better beam shots.

Thanks for looking.

Updated the L1 build with another photo.

This one is a work in progress.

Surefire KL4 big copper slug and triple Nichia 219 emitters. With the nice chunk of copper I think I will boost the high to 4.1 amps for short blast!

The head weighs 2.5 ounces, 70.8 grams for the others.

Default L2 XPH50

I was not sure how this would turn out in such a shallow reflector, but I can say that the XPH50 in an L2 is awesome! Now I need to find one of these gems for my own.

Interesting note: I did not have any non rechargeable batteries to test the L2 and was not sure if they would smoke the circuit or not. A quick "Google" and many CPF'ers using IMR123s and I just had to see what this thing was like. All I can say is, WOW! With IMR batteries this sucker pulls 3 amps and put a huge smile on my face, and after a minute was a nice hand warmer. I'm not sure I would run this wide open like this unattended but it was insane!

Even at 1.3 amps Cree's product characterization tool says the J4 bin XPH50 puts out 1200 lumens at the emitter, and at 3 amps that goes up to a whopping 2375, again at the emitter. All that with a tint that, IMO is beautiful.

I have a few photos and did my best at two beamshots. The were underexposed -2 on low and high with regular cr123 batteries at two feet for the low, and twelve feet for the high to show that it has absolutely no donut hole. From inches from the ground to as far as I can see the XPH50 does not have a donut in any light I have modded unlike the Cree MC-E, or the Easywhite XM-L. This is one of my favorite LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    Just finished up another U2 XPH50.

The U2 with the XPH50 has a decent hot spot and the transition to spill is very smooth. It is cranking out a lot of light. I wish I still had a DSL camera to take better beam shots.

Thanks for looking.
    Just had this arrive today and all I can say is anyone who has a U2 that they don't use because the output falls short of modern lights please do think about doing this to your U2. The levels are all present, low is still soft on the eyes and high is around 1000 lumens out the front I would guess. The tint is just right, not too warm or cold and the light runs great on an 18650.

Thank you for offering this service Nitroz - it is what makes CPF such a great community that we have people like you on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post
    Just had this arrive today and all I can say is anyone who has a U2 that they don't use because the output falls short of modern lights please do think about doing this to your U2. The levels are all present, low is still soft on the eyes and high is around 1000 lumens out the front I would guess. The tint is just right, not too warm or cold and the light runs great on an 18650.

Thank you for offering this service Nitroz - it is what makes CPF such a great community that we have people like you on board.
    Thanks! I am glad that you can enjoy such a nice light that was under-powered on in its stock form.
    Last edited by Nitroz; 04-11-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Default Converted L2 switch to McClicky

This was a fun one to do and I was not sure how it would work out, but it works nicely. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Made a copper shim to make contact with body and so the McClicky would not fall into body

Flashaholic*

Nice work! Great looking mod to a Z62. I think DrafterDan was looking at something like this last year? Maybe the year before? Man time flies! I bet a 16mm x 8mm silicone boot would be just about right to seal it up since the stock Z62 boot might be a tad bit long in your mod. And it might tail stand? Don't lose that Z62 boot. Most folks don't know that its also used on the SW02 and the Z48/49 tailcaps. And there is NOTHING available aftermarket if you ever need one.

Nice work! Great looking mod to a Z62. I think DrafterDan was looking at something like this last year? Maybe the year before? Man time flies! I bet a 16mm x 8mm silicone boot would be just about right to seal it up since the stock Z62 boot might be a tad bit long in your mod. And it might tail stand? Don't lose that Z62 boot. Most folks don't know that its also used on the SW02 and the Z48/49 tailcaps. And there is NOTHING available aftermarket if you ever need one.
    Thanks M4! This will be going back to the owner along with the leftover parts.

Here is an L2 I just finished up. The user wanted a single cell so I created a delrin spacer with a copper rod in the center. Now the specs.

- Triple 219c LEDs
    - Drilled optic with v10 glow
    - Modified tail cap to McClicky switch
    - Qlite with guppydrv Universal firmware
    - Green glow tail cap
    - Full copper heat sink on copper noctigon for best heat transfer
    - Bored to take 17670 batteries

Last edited by Nitroz; 04-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.

I believe that was a Lego L2 I was working on, but ended up selling it. One of the forum guys sold me a spare L-series tail so I didn't McClicky it.
    I have an E1E coming in, have some interesting plans for it.

Nice work! Great looking mod to a Z62. I think DrafterDan was looking at something like this last year? Maybe the year before? Man time flies!
    Have torch, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    I believe that was a Lego L2 I was working on, but ended up selling it. One of the forum guys sold me a spare L-series tail so I didn't McClicky it.
    I have an E1E coming in, have some interesting plans for it.
    Cool! The McClicky is one nice switch.

I scored and E2e off a craigslist that I will be working on soon.

I do love the E1e and look forward to what you create. I use to own a Winelight E1e and E2e and kick myself for selling them off, I even sold a really nice E1e with a delrin tailcap shroud before my modding days. Arrggghhh!

I will be selling off my 7 x 10 HF lathe and picking up a 10 x 22 but I am trying to decide if I want Grizzly g0602 or add $500 and go for the variable speed Grizzly G0752.

I really wish I knew someone close to me that could help me score a nice old lathe like a south bend or something but I don't know what to look for when checking them out.

Flashaholic*

I will be selling off my 7 x 10 HF lathe and picking up a 10 x 22 but I am trying to decide if I want Grizzly g0602 or add $500 and go for the variable speed Grizzly G0752.
    I hear ya buddy. I'm in the same boat. Got a great lead on a Jet BD-920N with a herd of "goodies". Only problem is he's across the country. It would probably be still a good deal even with the trucking fee. BUT. I don't know the guy and once in hand it could turn out to be quite the disappointment.

Have you checked out the group discussion on Yahoo? Some good info there and of course who doesn't troll CNCZONE? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/9x20Lathe/info

I hear ya buddy. I'm in the same boat. Got a great lead on a Jet BD-920N with a herd of "goodies". Only problem is he's across the country. It would probably be still a good deal even with the trucking fee. BUT. I don't know the guy and once in hand it could turn out to be quite the disappointment.

Have you checked out the group discussion on Yahoo? Some good info there and of course who doesn't troll CNCZONE? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/9x20Lathe/info
    Thanks for the link!

If I am spending upwards of $800 to $1800 on a lathe I am going to have to see it or it is going to be a new one.

Going forward all mods will use military grade 3M 6900 glow tape where v10 grade glow powder cannot be used. I tested it last night and I awoke several times during the night and was able to see the afterglow easily all through the night.

Default Surefire L1 and LX2

Here's a mod of an L1 and LX2 with 4000k, XM-L2 emitter swaps,and custom removable glow rings.

Default Surefire MODs

I really wish I knew someone close to me that could help me score a nice old lathe like a south bend or something but I don't know what to look for when checking them out.
    I bought the G0752 earlier this year and couldn't be happier with the variable speed option. It's very convenient. My only complaint would be how often you have to switch out gears for threading operations. Although overall I'm pleased with its performance. I know that this isnt SF related but just yesterday I turned a copper spacer and modified a Tain Corona inserting a quad XPL HI V2 1A. Here's just a few pictures.

Please see my video product descriptions and DIY content, here.

Quote Originally Posted by bartko09 View Post
    I bought the G0752 earlier this year and couldn't be happier with the variable speed option. It's very convenient. My only complaint would be how often you have to switch out gears for threading operations. Although overall I'm pleased with its performance. I know that this isnt SF related but just yesterday I turned a copper spacer and modified a Tain Corona inserting a quad XPL HI V2 1A. Here's just a few pictures.
    Nice lathe! And even nicer light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast