NOW AND THEN, REMEMBER WHEN?

Capolini

Banned
The title says it all. Just a fun thread remembering how certain things were way back when.

About 15 years ago when my parents moved to Florida they gave me some mementos from the past.One of the items in the box was a receipt from St. Lukes Hospital in Bethlehem,Pa., from the 11th of February 1964[52 years ago today!]

I seemed to have a liking for St JOSEPH'S Children's aspirin! I took an undetermined amount and out of precaution my parents rushed me to the Hospital. So,,here is what the title is about! GUESS HOW MUCH THE HOSPITAL BILL WAS FOR AN EMERGENCY ROOM VISIT?

$4.00! :eek:
Imagine what that would cost today?! $300? $500? maybe more?!

I have a friend who turned 100 on the 30th of December 2015.....he has told me some remarkable stories over the years,he is like a walking history book,,,still sharp as a razor!

Tell me some things in your life that have changed so much over the years.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,Capolini

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The title says it all. Just a fun thread remembering how certain things were way back when.

About 15 years ago when my parents moved to Florida they gave me some mementos from the past.One of the items in the box was a receipt from St. Lukes Hospital in Bethlehem,Pa., from the 11th of February 1964[52 years ago today!]

I seemed to have a liking for St JOSEPH'S Children's aspirin! I took an undetermined amount and out of precaution my parents rushed me to the Hospital. So,,here is what the title is about! GUESS HOW MUCH THE HOSPITAL BILL WAS FOR AN EMERGENCY ROOM VISIT?

I have a friend who turned 100 on the 30th of December 2015.....he has told me some remarkable stories over the years,he is like a walking history book,,,still sharp as a razor!

Tell me some things in your life that have changed so much over the years.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,Capolini

Happy birthday...mine was Feb 13th 1964...

When I was a kid a soda from a machine was a nickel. You could find a deposit bottle on the side of the road, carry it to a nearby store, turn it in for a nickel, step outside and put the nickel in a soda machine and get ya 10oz of bubbly utopia in a non returnable glass bottle.

One day I walked to the store with my deposit bottle in hand but sodas were a dime. So there was a mad dash to find another deposit bottle.

Same summer I walked all the way to the same store with 2 bottles only to discover they were now 15¢……dratz! 2 hands/2 bottles no longer worked.
Suddenly pants pockets mattered. I think I as like 10 that summer.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an aluminum serving tray that has the state of Florida and its tourist locations on it but Disney World was not even thought of at that time.

Capolini

Banned
Happy birthday...mine was Feb 13th 1964...

When I was a kid a soda from a machine was a nickel. You could find a deposit bottle on the side of the road, carry it to a nearby store, turn it in for a nickel, step outside and put the nickel in a soda machine and get ya 10oz of bubbly utopia in a non returnable glass bottle.

One day I walked to the store with my deposit bottle in hand but sodas were a dime. So there was a mad dash to find another deposit bottle.

Same summer I walked all the way to the same store with 2 bottles only to discover they were now 15¢……dratz! 2 hands/2 bottles no longer worked.
Suddenly pants pockets mattered. I think I as like 10 that summer.

Thanks for the nice gesture!,Happy B'day to u today,,,,,,,,,,,,2.13.2016! :party:
I was not clear! On 2.11.1964 I was 3y 8m old!,,,,,,,,,,,6.4.1960 is my B'day!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
GUESS HOW MUCH THE HOSPITAL BILL WAS FOR AN EMERGENCY ROOM VISIT?

Adjusted for inflation $4 in 1964 is about $31 today. How the costs have skyrocketed over a generation.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to search for pop bottles (east coast/Pa name for soda) turn them in and fill my mini bike @ 34 cents a gallon. I remember my Father buying a brand new VW Super Beetle as a commuter for $2195.00.