Users, not collectors...what handheld flashlights do you use for what?

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I know this is a pretty advanced flashlight forum, but I shared this on another forum, and thought it would make an interesting flashlight thread for the amateurs like myself who come here just to learn and figure out how to choose a decent flashlight (or are just realizing how useful having some kind of light beyond their cell phone can be a very good idea)...

Not a good picture, but a quick shot of my current AA users. I've placed all of my previously purchased CR123/CR2 led lights on reserve in vehicles, etc., and over recent months replaced them with these...

Fenix E12 - Hangs on neck lanyard from shelf near bed. Gets used pretty much nightly for something or other.

Fenix LD09 - Pocket edc light. Only sees occasional use, but I'm happy to know it's in my pocket should I need it while out and about.

Have a Fenix headband to covert either of these two into a headlamp.

The next three are all new to me, but here they are, and what I want to use them for...

Thrunite TN4A CW - This is the main house light for family use, and is kept in a central location between living room and dining room that can be grabbed quickly and easily from either room. Intended for power outages, nighttime dog walking, and any other thing that might come up during the evening and night.

Thrunite TN4A NW - Kept on nightstand for things that go bump in the night or power outages when something brighter or longer lasting than the E12 may be desireable.

Thrunite TN4A HI - I just got his one today, and am thinking of keeping it as a vehicle flashlight, or get home bag light, or for times when I'm afield and might want a more powerful or longer lasting light than my EDC LD09.

I wanted to make all the users simple AA lights, and currently they are all loaded with regular Eneloops even though the Eneloop Pros are recommended for the Thrunite lights. I don't want to collect flashlights. For a number of years I was content with covering all of the bases with a small pocket light, but more recently I wanted to upgrade to a dedicated house light since I hadn't had one since the days of the incandescent MAG lights. I wound-up with the 3 Thrunites more as a matter of trial and error because I wasn't sure if I would like the cool white or neutral white better, and then I wanted to compare the HI version to the regular versions. I need to stop surfing flashlight forums now, and use what I have. I feel like the ones I've settled on are all pretty good (although I must admit the new Zebralight SC5 has perked my interest a bit for an EDC pocket light). I'll be honest, I sometimes kinda miss the days of blissful ignorance, when I had a simple 4 D cell Mag light I carried in my truck, that served all of my needs (but then this new technology is just too much fun to ignore).

As always, I'd be more than interested in hearing how others address this topic. Fun to compare and contrast, and learn from others experiences.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well I cannot speak for others, but as for this collector/hoarder, most of my lights are simple in nature with many having 2 settings...on and off...well 3...momentary on/off.

There are numerous that over time I have 'retired' to shelf queen status as technology improved.

In my home there are lights all over the place yet not one are in a display as it were but are at the ready if need be. I see them about the same as electrical outlets...placed where they would be most useful.

In addition there are numerous work lights in places they would also come in handy or in the case of magnetic lights they are in a group on the refridgerator.
Some lights do not have cells in them but they are nearby

Then there's a new in package collection that generally stay in a box or two for ideal storage conditions.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a pretty advanced flashlight forum, but I shared this on another forum, and thought it would make an interesting flashlight thread for the amateurs like myself who come here just to learn and figure out how to choose a decent flashlight (or are just realizing how useful having some kind of light beyond their cell phone can be a very good idea)...

Not a good picture, but a quick shot of my current AA users. I've placed all of my previously purchased CR123/CR2 led lights on reserve in vehicles, etc., and over recent months replaced them with these...

Fenix E12 - Hangs on neck lanyard from shelf near bed. Gets used pretty much nightly for something or other.

Fenix LD09 - Pocket edc light. Only sees occasional use, but I'm happy to know it's in my pocket should I need it while out and about.

The next three are all new to me, but here they are, and what I want to use them for...

Thrunite TN4A CW - This is the main house light for family use, and is kept in a central location between living room and dining room that can be grabbed quickly and easily from either room. Intended for power outages, nighttime dog walking, and any other thing that might come up during the evening and night.

Thrunite TN4A NW - Kept on nightstand for things that go bump in the night or power outages when something brighter or longer lasting than the E12 may be desireable.

Thrunite TN4A HI - I just got his one today, and am thinking of keeping it as a vehicle flashlight, or get home bag light, or for times when I'm afield and might want a more powerful or longer lasting light than my EDC LD09.

I wanted to make all the users simple AA lights, and currently they are all loaded with regular Eneloops even though the Eneloop Pros are recommended for the Thrunite lights. I don't want to collect flashlights. For a number of years I was content with covering all of the bases with a small pocket light, but more recently I wanted to upgrade to a dedicated house light since I hadn't had one since the days of the incandescent MAG lights. I wound-up with the 3 Thrunites more as a matter of trial and error because I wasn't sure if I would like the cool white or neutral white better, and then I wanted to compare the HI version to the regular versions. I need to stop surfing flashlight forums now, and use what I have. I feel like the ones I've settled on are all pretty good (although I must admit the new Zebralight SC5 has perked my interest a bit for an EDC pocket light). I'll be honest, I sometimes kinda miss the days of blissful ignorance, when I had a simple 4 D cell Mag light I carried in my truck, that served all of my needs (but then this new technology is just too much fun to ignore).

As always, I'd be more than interested in hearing how others address this topic. Fun to compare and contrast, and learn from others experiences.

Welcome!
Hate to tell ya buddy, but that's how the addiction starts: looking for something you NEED. Soon, it becomes CONSTANTLY longing and looking for something you WANT!
I'm way more a user than a collector myself. I wish to find it or them, and then stop looking...for a while at least, until the next major and I mean major! (4x the output and/or 2x the runtime of the previous generation) improvements come along.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Good comments from the both of you...wish there was a "like" button I could click. LOL at the comment about how the addiction starts. No doubt you are right. I do the same thing. Stay away from the forums for a time, then think to myself, well I'll just take a glance. The next thing you know, I'm justifying my 3 Thrunite TN4A' :)

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Minimag AA: 2x NiMH AA, Magnum Star II bulb, nickel plated
Everyday EDC light, move around apt building/basement, look under desks, look inside parts at work, find dropped items

Approximately 25 lumens for 3 hours

2D Mag: 2x 26650, MOP, 3853 L or Mag 6 cell bulb, HA body, nickel plated head/tail
Night/dusk walks in parks, move around factory when staying late and some departments have lights off, paint inspection

Approximately 300 lumens for 2 hours or 150 lumens for 4 hours

4D Mag: 6x SubC Nimh, SMO, 3854H, HA Black body, head, and tail
Visits to lake/pier, bump in the night, show off maximum throw, mountain biking (keep in cupholder mount in case path needs to be found)

Approximately 1000 lumens for 30 minutes

4C Mag: completely stock black, 4 cell magnum star bulb, 4x NIMH C
Loaner light, working on car or other dirty environments, toolbox light, hammer

Approximately 60 lumens for 4 hours

2C Mag: completely stock silver, 2 cell Magnum star or Dorcy LED, 2x alkaline or NIMH C
Power outage light, tailstand for low lighting at home

Approximately 25 lumens for 4 hours or 20 lumens for 20 hours (LED)

The 2D and the 2AA see the most use, followed by the 4C. The 4D is to show off and the 2C never leaves the house.

I have only one LED light - Minimag AAA. This is in my wife's purse as an EDC.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, looks like you have a nice start to a never ending hobby. As stated above, you are already to far into this to turn around now, I mean you bought all three versions of the TN4A just to see what they are like lol.

I'm more of a user than a collector. I have a couple of lights that I'm careful not to damage much just because they aren't made any more or are hard to find but they still get used. Here is my breakdown, by brand and model:

*FENIX:
---HL35, is my only headlamp and I use the heck out of it. Around the house, in school working on planes, working on vehicles, etc. Stays in my edc bag.
---E21, used to be my edc light until I got my D25A2, now it resides in my edc bag as a backup light or when I need a not frills dead reliable light.
---TK41, is my current thrower for longer distance lighting needs. It stays in the house unless traveling and then it goes with me. Doesn't get much use as I live in an apartment complex now.
---TK45, my go to all around light. Great runtimes, comfortable size to carry, good mix of flood and throw.

*Eagletac
---D25A2, my favorite light and my main edc. Gets used for everything.

*Coast
---HP14, stays in my get home bag and only gets used once in a blue moon. OK light for what it is but it just doesn't tickle my fancy much

*Solarforce
---L2 with an XHP50 P60, is my secondary edc light. Rides in a Nite Ize belt holster. Its my convenient to carry flood light, 1800 lumens in a 6 inch light makes for a nice floody beam.

Still eye balling a Zebralight SC5 and SC600 MKiii as well as an Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2 and MX30L4XC with Nichias. I'm also looking at the Olight M3XS-UT. I still want to get one good thrower and one good flood light.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks all, I'm enjoying reading how others address their lighting needs. Also thanks for the welcomes.

Welcome aboard, looks like you have a nice start to a never ending hobby. As stated above, you are already to far into this to turn around now, I mean you bought all three versions of the TN4A just to see what they are like lol.

I'm weak...what can I say. I'm just glad there isn't a forth to choose from. Hoping they don't update anytime soon.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm weak...what can I say. I'm just glad there isn't a forth to choose from. Hoping they don't update anytime soon.
Well there are other AA lights similar in size you could try.

Nitecore EA41, EA45S

Fenix E41, LD41

Eagletac GX25A3, GX30A3D

Jetbeam SR40

Sunwayman D40A, F40A

tops2

Enlightened
I have 4 bigger lights and 2 keychain lights. The only ones I use are:

Olight S1: My daily EDC light. It gets used occasionally or just for fun when I'm out or at work. Otherwise, realistically it doesn't get used as often and when it does, its mostly for fun. Lately if my toddler wants to play with a light, I'll just turn on to moonlight mode and let him play with it (but supervising him).

Zebralight SC5w: My main light. I use this for everything, from looking for stuff, walks after work, or even taking out the trash at night (mostly an excuse to use the light). I use it indoors and out as well. Heck, I use it for my bathroom trips so I don't have to turn on the light (and fan). This light is just so versatile for my usage and the brightness is awesome, especially when it run on AA batteries. I love the ability to custom the 3 levels, the UI (basically 3 modes when cycling though modes) and the tint. If I could keep only one light, it would be this one.

I only have 1 other larger (18650) light, but too many modes to cycle through and I wish the mode spacing was different (the lower levels are too dark for general use, but the next higher level is too bright). I don't use my keychain lights much, but its mostly for backup purposes. Realistically, I'm only interested in getting one of the newer Zebralights then I'm pretty much done. But then that's what I say now...lol! :D

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rotating 50 light collection they all get used.

I use them for everything no matter how awkward using my ET MX25L2 Turbo Head to check the mailbox is. My 3rd Gen XML2 D Cell Mags get used for checking my property at night. My dozen-ish 1x18650 PD35 class of lights get used for everything within 30 feet. My 3 Armytek Pros get used for 40k+CD I love how bright they are and how well the modes are spaced.

I have 13 Eagtacs. I love the UI of them and especially the kit versions that I add extension tubes to. These are the lights I use when I know Im going to be outside awhile. My 3 TN4A's are simply 3 delicious flavors of awesome. They light up as wide as a D Mag, are bright as hell and dont get hot.

My 2 SR52's keep the wandering bums off my lawn from using my lawn as a bathroom at 1 in the morning.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good comments from the both of you...wish there was a "like" button I could click. LOL at the comment about how the addiction starts. No doubt you are right. I do the same thing. Stay away from the forums for a time, then think to myself, well I'll just take a glance. The next thing you know, I'm justifying my 3 Thrunite TN4A' :)

Pffft, wait until you receive your first Malkoff...HDS or P60 host...
That's when the disease, err uh I mean fun begins.

At apete2....those nickel plated lights sound intregue-ing. Is the AA mag noticably heavier?

dmattaponi

Enlightened

I'm more of a user than a collector. I have a couple of lights that I'm careful not to damage much just because they aren't made any more or are hard to find but they still get used. Here is my breakdown, by brand and model:

*FENIX:
---HL35, is my only headlamp and I use the heck out of it. Around the house, in school working on planes, working on vehicles, etc. Stays in my edc bag.
---E21, used to be my edc light until I got my D25A2, now it resides in my edc bag as a backup light or when I need a not frills dead reliable light.
---TK41, is my current thrower for longer distance lighting needs. It stays in the house unless traveling and then it goes with me. Doesn't get much use as I live in an apartment complex now.
---TK45, my go to all around light. Great runtimes, comfortable size to carry, good mix of flood and throw.

*Eagletac
---D25A2, my favorite light and my main edc. Gets used for everything.

*Coast
---HP14, stays in my get home bag and only gets used once in a blue moon. OK light for what it is but it just doesn't tickle my fancy much

*Solarforce
---L2 with an XHP50 P60, is my secondary edc light. Rides in a Nite Ize belt holster. Its my convenient to carry flood light, 1800 lumens in a 6 inch light makes for a nice floody beam.

Still eye balling a Zebralight SC5 and SC600 MKiii as well as an Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2 and MX30L4XC with Nichias. I'm also looking at the Olight M3XS-UT. I still want to get one good thrower and one good flood light.

Well there are other AA lights similar in size you could try.

Nitecore EA41, EA45S

Fenix E41, LD41

Eagletac GX25A3, GX30A3D

Jetbeam SR40

Sunwayman D40A, F40A

Yes, I've looked at youtube vids of the Nitecore and Fenix more than once.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Pffft, wait until you receive your first Malkoff...HDS or P60 host...
That's when the disease, err uh I mean fun begins.

At apete2....those nickel plated lights sound intregue-ing. Is the AA mag noticably heavier?

Not even going there...although I'll admit I was checking out the website recently ;-)

Minimoog

Enlightened
My most used light this Winter has been a 1937 Ever Ready 2D, model 2222 - running completely stock complete with zinc carbon batteries and 1930's bulb. I have quite a few other lights but each evening I need to walk down some quite hostile and dark alleyways - with no way to exit if there was danger. The street lights have stopped working so its in blackness. The old Ever Ready has a large silver reflector with a small fiery bulb that looks like a trapped spark or hot ember. As it looks so different I find that people are giving me a bit of respect and moving over - even a small gang hanging about fell silent. It has got comments from passers by and honestly I feel that it not only helps light my way but is keeping me safe too.

ven

Flashaholic
For me to keep simple i will list most used, all do get use, some with big gaps between........:laughing:

cooyoo quantum ss- This is on my car keys, gets used frequently and ample output for key chain type uses.

Solarforce L2T/P1D-Used in work, some at home ,so daily use. Sometimes a few hours a day..........flexible with drop ins, mainly use triples or quads as small walls of light. More useful for me generally, close up work, flood without bounce back. Couple at home now have(from yesterday) a P60vn with xpl HI quad, and a nichia triple off Sean.

Olight M20vn with a nichia 219, 1st vinh light from maybe 2013 and on my bed side since. Still looks like new, still used a few times a week.

Cooly- has a CQvn inside, and on my bed side ,always comes on in low and a pleasant 5000k tint. Find the switch too sensitive though.......no biggie as used to it now!

s2+ triple- edc in my coat, regular-ish use ,nice to have real low modes to full out 2800lm on tap from a light i dont really know is there.

Eagle eye x2- This is always down the side of the couch, its a warmer tint and used daily, usually at night as the house is not that well lit (no plans on changing that!) So simple UI with 2 groups, no disco group selected and at arms reach. Its a house beater light!

Due to weather and family stuff, not had time to venture out much, when i do a variety of lights get took randomly. Throwers,flooders taken out for a bit of exploring..........

My lads, he tends to rotate so if we are having a bit of fun, he will tend to get a different one each time along with his fav TOOLvn and now P1 with an xpl-v3. He is sill fond of his "special gold torch" which is a skyway, this he always takes out when exploring.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My most used light this Winter has been a 1937 Ever Ready 2D, model 2222 - running completely stock complete with zinc carbon batteries and 1930's bulb. I have quite a few other lights but each evening I need to walk down some quite hostile and dark alleyways - with no way to exit if there was danger. The street lights have stopped working so its in blackness. The old Ever Ready has a large silver reflector with a small fiery bulb that looks like a trapped spark or hot ember. As it looks so different I find that people are giving me a bit of respect and moving over - even a small gang hanging about fell silent. It has got comments from passers by and honestly I feel that it not only helps light my way but is keeping me safe too.

They probably think you're the ghost of Jack the Ripper or something.

Very cool story. I was getting visuals of punks spitting, cursing, breaking bottles and then growing quiet like the birds do when a hawk approaches..as you pass by...one even tips his hat saying "mate" all respectful like....

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
They probably think you're the ghost of Jack the Ripper or something.

Very cool story. I was getting visuals of punks spitting, cursing, breaking bottles and then growing quiet like the birds do when a hawk approaches..as you pass by...one even tips his hat saying "mate" all respectful like....

I think that if you follow a predictable path with what you do and how you do it, it makes it easy for people who perhaps don't have your best interests at heart to predict whether you will be an easy target. By confronting them with something they have never seen before they don't know what you are about at all - could be some official or anything. Same with my old 1980's Skoda car - other motorists are too busy wondering what it is about to cut me up!

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
Ok..

Fenix PD35 tac my edc goes almost everywhere I do.. sleeps on the night stand is in my pocket every where else ( I don't bring it in the shower ) This one goes hunting with me as I have green and red caps for it also.

Fenix PD40 one of 2 back ups for EDC sits mainly on the bookshelf next to the bed gets used when I want or need something floodier and or if I want to tag team something with the PD 35

Fenix E25EU the other back up for EDC sits on the bookshelf waiting for me to grab it.

Fenix TK75 Gets used when I go hunting or if I let the dog out I scan the perimeter looking for eyes looking back at me.

Coast HP550 sits on the shelf collecting dust

Coast HP7 is in my Maxpedition back up tool bag for work that goes everywhere my back pack goes

and a Defiant thats supposed to be indestructible sits on the kitchen table for the wife and mother in law to use when the dog goes out LOL