Removed OE 9005 Bulbs Have Brown Heat Marks Inside

therock

Newly Enlightened
I recently replaced my Van with a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T and swapped out the high beam 9005's with some HIR1 bulbs I happened to have about the shop.
I noticed the 9005s I removed have wear or burn marks inside the glass and wanted to ask about it. The car has 65k miles.
Is this normal wear and tear?

9005_oe_browning.jpg

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the 9005s I removed have wear or burn marks inside the glass and wanted to ask about it. The car has 65k miles.
Is this normal wear and tear?
Looks like the high beams are also the DRLs, which run the bulbs at reduced voltage. The bulb walls do not get hot enough for the halogen cycle to work, so instead of the filament bits getting redeposited onto the filament, they just stick to the envelope.

It's normal. It'll clean up if you leave the high beams on a long while.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Yes you nailed it, the DRL's are the high beams. I wish he could make me a plug and play. I am not wanting to cut into the harness.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Now, you SHOULD know better than to run HB3's in your truck's fog lamps!

I do. I was wondering when I would get spotted. Actually I have not updated that portion of the blog. I now have HIR1 lamps in them now as I had some to spare.
Please trust me as they are for emergency backup lighting only. I don't run them, don't like it when other drivers do. I do when in the mountains on private roads.
The housings are big and man do they cast a great wide pattern lighting up the ditches and deer..
I even had my girlfriend drive the truck as I drove hers in both following and passing by and they are not bad I as would have thought.
This and the on board air compressor says how I am about backup when off public roads.

Thanks

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The housings are big and man do they cast a great wide pattern lighting up the ditches and deer..
I even had my girlfriend drive the truck as I drove hers in both following and passing by and they are not bad I as would have thought.
This and the on board air compressor says how I am about backup when off public roads.

But remember-- they're also for very low speeds-- the deer you depended on your fog lamps to see is the deer that ruined your grill!