This is how it starts....

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
It begins with those $3 eBay zoomies. I just want a few single aa lights to scatter around the house....they have different colours....ok, I'll get a few because they're cheap. Maybe some rechargeables to run them but I'm not paying too much. Eneloops eh? Ok, I can use them in other things too.

Maybe just one aa thrower, because that will be handy and can take the eneloops. Those 18650 lights are pretty impressive, but I've just bought an EA8, and I'm not buying a charger. What's that? The MH20 has a built in usb charger? It might be a good companion. Ok, just one more I suppose, I love the power of lithium ion lights.

The M3XS-UT throws how far? It's on special.....and so is the separate charger....and the protected pannies. Then I have all I could need and I'll get no more.

5000 lumens from a pop can light? A few more cells that go in the charger I already have. I suppose it won't hurt.

Sorry, Vinh who??

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

ven

Flashaholic
No not at all, completely different to me, i have restraint and find it ridiculous having more than 1 flashlight...........i mean come on man, get a grip.......!!!!

:whistle:

;)

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strangely, I'm finding out how great a light you can now get when you buy a set of two for $50 (with coupon code...).

In fact, I thought it was such a great deal that I got two sets.
Of course those were the aluminum ones - I also got a set in Stainless steel & copper.

So now I'm in for $180 because I can get a great deal at $50......:ohgeez:

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't think that it ends, or ends at just lights. My illness has spread to pens and watches!
FEB.2016.2_zpsouj9zzh4.png

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome SG Hall. Yes the starting is easy, but there's no endgame, no exit strategy. Fortunately, there's no stopping Vinh's imagination. He's introducing 2 new lights tonight! At least we don't have to suffer through withdrawals!

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome SG Hall. Yes the starting is easy, but there's no endgame, no exit strategy. Fortunately, there's no stopping Vinh's imagination. He's introducing 2 new lights tonight! At least we don't have to suffer through withdrawals!

Great, thanks, no danger of falling off my wallet and getting hurt then! :D

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Didn't start that way here, either.

I started because I wanted to find out why the 4-AA batteries for my camera would die shortly after charging.. Enter CPF.. Enter Maha C9000 & Lacrosse chargers.. Enter spreadsheet to label and track batteries......
Enter Eneloops.. Leave spreadsheet..
Enter a barrage of DealExtreme single AA & AAA size flashlights in ~2009..
Leave CPF (mostly).. Re-enter photography in full force in 2012.. Enter Daylight CFL bulbs..
Enter E-cigs - enter 18650 Li-Ions.
Enter a 2nd barrage of DealExtreme Single-AAA-size-only flashlights in 2016..
Re-enter CPF.. Have now fixed all quirky DX flashlights from ~2009 AND 2016. (Having had much better luck in 2016 so far.. (2 more still in transit))
Enter my first 10440 Li-Ion batteries.
Enter... WHOA - holy crap!!!

Nah... Not like that at all. I can stop anytime I want!

Err, wait... Hmmmmmm.....

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
Last Halloween went out with my 2D Everlast lights and a hand crank LED light. Both basically were a joke and barely worked. Started looking at lights and ended up on CPF.

First purchase was Fenix E12 and was completely not satisfied.

Bought a Nitecore Tube and Rayus C01 for keychain lights while looking for a main light.

Eventually bit the bullet and ordered Zebralight SC5w despite the cost (my first "expensive" light splurge). Ordered a 4 pack of Eneloop Pros to go along.

While waiting for the SC5w to arrive, Illumn had a Christmas special for Thrunite TN12 2014 so thought why not try my first li-on light for that price. Bought a pair of 18650 batteries and a Nitecore D4 charger...

With the Nitecore charger, now I've opened up the possibility of new class of flashlights (instead of my original plan of sticking to AA lights).

Was not satisfied with the size and weight of SC5w for EDC purpose so ended up biting on the group buy for Olight S1.

I'd say my mild buyers remorse is the Fenix E12 and Thrunite TN12 as I barely use those 2. I don't use my keychain lights that much but they're for back up purpose so I don't regret those.

But thank goodness for my SC5w... The only lights I'm considering now are more Zebralights and nothing else.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it was like that: buy a couple of cheap zoomies... see that blue square on the wall... oh, crap... buy Thrunite TN32 when it was the best thrower in the world :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It begins with those $3 eBay zoomies. I just want a few single aa lights to scatter around the house....they have different colours....ok, I'll get a few because they're cheap. Maybe some rechargeables to run them but I'm not paying too much. Eneloops eh? Ok, I can use them in other things too.

Maybe just one aa thrower, because that will be handy and can take the eneloops. Those 18650 lights are pretty impressive, but I've just bought an EA8, and I'm not buying a charger. What's that? The MH20 has a built in usb charger? It might be a good companion. Ok, just one more I suppose, I love the power of lithium ion lights.

The M3XS-UT throws how far? It's on special.....and so is the separate charger....and the protected pannies. Then I have all I could need and I'll get no more.

5000 lumens from a pop can light? A few more cells that go in the charger I already have. I suppose it won't hurt.

Sorry, Vinh who??

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Very familiar! I have over a hundred seventy lights since I started lurking this site. :) But I try to stick to cool EDC's and Throwers. Having a collection of everything is just too much! :)

ixix

Newly Enlightened
Last Halloween went out with my 2D Everlast lights and a hand crank LED light. Both basically were a joke and barely worked. Started looking at lights and ended up on CPF.

First purchase was Fenix E12 and was completely not satisfied.

Bought a Nitecore Tube and Rayus C01 for keychain lights while looking for a main light.

Eventually bit the bullet and ordered Zebralight SC5w despite the cost (my first "expensive" light splurge). Ordered a 4 pack of Eneloop Pros to go along.

While waiting for the SC5w to arrive, Illumn had a Christmas special for Thrunite TN12 2014 so thought why not try my first li-on light for that price. Bought a pair of 18650 batteries and a Nitecore D4 charger...

With the Nitecore charger, now I've opened up the possibility of new class of flashlights (instead of my original plan of sticking to AA lights).

Was not satisfied with the size and weight of SC5w for EDC purpose so ended up biting on the group buy for Olight S1.

I'd say my mild buyers remorse is the Fenix E12 and Thrunite TN12 as I barely use those 2. I don't use my keychain lights that much but they're for back up purpose so I don't regret those.

But thank goodness for my SC5w... The only lights I'm considering now are more Zebralights and nothing else.

Oh brother, it's like you're telling my story! Except that my crash course happened over a week and included a ... "you spent HOW MUCH on a tiny flashlight?!?" But ... it's an investment ...

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
I'd like to tell my story,

Last summer I got bored at work and I did a Google search for "high end flashlight" which brought me to some images of some hanko sunwayman V10R Ti's full of tritium I was instantly mesmerized "you mean it just glows?" I couldn't believe it so began a long few weeks of research into custom lights and tritium which led me to my first real light the Reylight Ti 18650/18350 (thanks again Rey for putting up with all of my beginner questions like will it make a good edc light).

I was hooked while I am still very much a novice I have fully recognized the greats and the must haves the mcgizmos,tain, luter,photon fanatic,the amazing Jeff hanko lights, the spy 007,just to name a few. There are many I can only hope to ever get my hands on,that does not stop me from admiring their beauty here on the forum.

I've put up with all the crazy looks from my friends and family when I show them lights like my mcgizmo sapphire and tell them what I paid for a light that size but them just don't understand what it means to own a mcgizmo and what that name means in our world....they never really will most likely.

I love that I get to be a part of something known about by so few in a year of being here I have put together a small collection that makes me smile every time I look in its direction,every time I reach in my pocket to check on whatever particular light I'm carrying that day. I've participated in a passaround ( thanks again bykfixer). And have received nothing but help with any of my novice questions I've had thus far.

Wow this post got out of hand fast! But I'll end with this THANK YOU EVERYONE AT CPF for making a guy that didn't even know how much I loved flashlights feel at home when I realized it!

Last edited: