18650 charger to run off battery bank

carlb

Newly Enlightened
I have been searching the internet but I'm having a hard time finding the answers I'm looking for. What I need is a 18650 charger that I can power with a usb battery bank. I always carry a big battery bank with me and I'd really like to be able to charge up my 18650 batteries with it. Does any company make a real good charger that will work for this? I currently just use a Fenix ARE-C1 in the house and the cig lighter in my truck. Thanks.

chadvone

Enlightened
Nitecore UM10 and UM20

Keeppower L1. Overcharges

I have used the UM10. Wont reset tripped protection.

Really like the Xtar MC1 Super Small

Have 3 Liitokala Lii-100s will charge all types of cells.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been searching the internet but I'm having a hard time finding the answers I'm looking for. What I need is a 18650 charger that I can power with a usb battery bank. I always carry a big battery bank with me and I'd really like to be able to charge up my 18650 batteries with it. Does any company make a real good charger that will work for this? I currently just use a Fenix ARE-C1 in the house and the cig lighter in my truck. Thanks.

If your USB power bank can do 2.1A, then the Xtar VC4/VC2 and VC2 Plus Master can work well.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your USB power bank can do 2.1A, then the Xtar VC4/VC2 and VC2 Plus Master can work well.

Chris
+1 on the VC4. It's what I have. The big thing with running a charger from a power bank is making sure the power bank has enough capacity to fully recharge the cells that need charging. For example, I have a 15000 mAh power bank that will put out 2A. But what most people don't realize is that that 15000 mAh is in 3.7v Li-Ion cells. After factoring in the boost circuit needed to output 5v, and the losses that entails, my 15000 mAh is closer to 10000 mAh. Now, I have four 2300 mAh cells in my TM11. Assuming 100% conversion in the buck circuit to convert the 5v USB to 4.2 charging voltage, I barely have enough capacity to recharge the cells once. That works fine for me, but if you use 2600/3200/3400/3600 mAh cells, you might find yourself running out of power bank before getting your cells charged, depending on how many you are trying to charge.

The nice thing about have a USB input charger is that I can also use my computer USB port, any of my wall warts, or the USB adapter in my car to run the charger, as well as my power bank. Oh, and I do have two power banks, so I am covered any way you look at it.

carlb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I have a 13000 mah power bank and it will do 2.1. So I should be ok to charge a few anyway. I'll take a look at the chargers you all recommended. So far the vc4 looks like it'll work out good for me.