Cordless power tool batteries. Good options for light projects?

verytom

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've got a couple of home made 14 cell Ni-Mh packs which I've been using for a while to power by bike lights which I use for mountianbiking. I've been contemplating for a while moving to Li-ion and thought that using 18V power tool packs would be a good option as they are pre-built come matched with battery chargers, ruggedised etc.

I've just emigrated from London to Singapore and in the midst of the chaos of packing up I gave away all my Ryobi cordless tools to a friend. I now regret this as I quite liked those tools. They were powered by 18V li-ion packs which I had thoughts of using to power my lights and were quite decently priced, have a fuel gauge and on battery cell balancing - The only downside is they were not the most convenient shape, packs from other manufactures are now squarer which would have a lower profile when mounted on a bike.

A I bought a Makita drill with a 18V 3Ah pack (found I needed one urgently) and I was hoping that the Makita 'LXT' would be a good platform for both tools and batteries for lights etc. However, now I've looked into it further I think i've made a mistake as:
  • Battery charger pushes out 7A with no option to throttle down the charge speed. It has a clever system that ventilates air through the battery with a fan while charging, but surely charging at 2.3C will still take it's toll on the pack.
  • Doesn't have any cell balancing
  • Charger handshakes with micro-controller on battery before charging. There are lots of stories of the pack rather exuberantly declaring itself dead which bricks the pack.

So I am assessing what my long term options are before I invest further in batteries or tools and I would really appreciate any info, experience or views that members here have.

I could go back to the awkwardly shaped but cheap and reliable Ryobi, or from a bit of research, Milwaukee and DeWalt appear to have packs that have cell balancing and are reliable.

Or if cell balancing is not that important I could stick with Makita packs, I could maybe buy an alternative slower charger and I would probably find it quite easy to find bricked packs to tinker around with.

Or I could forget the whole idea and just make separate Li-ion packs for use on the bike.

MX421

Enlightened
I have quite a few batteries salvaged from a couple of Makita packs that were "bricked" the individual batteries work fine in my lights, although they aren't the highest in capacity (around 1500 mAh). Still, they work fine. You could also take out the governing chip that bricks the battery and charge it with a hobby charger if you want to use the 10 cell battery case for your projects. you'd still need a housing if you did that. I still have a lot of Makita battery operated tools and working batteries. I prefer the Makita tools over the other tools, but i also do have a few 12v Millwaukee tools and they also work well. The Makita gets pulled for the heavy jobs though.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Milwaukee tools 18 volt lithium battery system. The batteries range in capacity from 2 amp hour up to the newest 6 amp hour battery.

Milwaukee now also sells a 9 amp hour battery for the M18 lithium tools, though I dare not look at the price.

If you need an interface to connect the battery to, Milwaukee sells an adapter that a combination usb charger/heated jacket power receptacle.

part # 49-24-2371

Last edited:

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
IMO, not really the best idea especially for cycling.
Hello,

I've got a couple of home made 14 cell Ni-Mh packs which I've been using for a while to power by bike lights which I use for mountianbiking. I've been contemplating for a while moving to Li-ion and thought that using 18V power tool packs would be a good option as they are pre-built come matched with battery chargers, ruggedised etc.

I've just emigrated from London to Singapore and in the midst of the chaos of packing up I gave away all my Ryobi cordless tools to a friend. I now regret this as I quite liked those tools. They were powered by 18V li-ion packs which I had thoughts of using to power my lights and were quite decently priced, have a fuel gauge and on battery cell balancing - The only downside is they were not the most convenient shape, packs from other manufactures are now squarer which would have a lower profile when mounted on a bike.

A I bought a Makita drill with a 18V 3Ah pack (found I needed one urgently) and I was hoping that the Makita 'LXT' would be a good platform for both tools and batteries for lights etc. However, now I've looked into it further I think i've made a mistake as:
  • Battery charger pushes out 7A with no option to throttle down the charge speed. It has a clever system that ventilates air through the battery with a fan while charging, but surely charging at 2.3C will still take it's toll on the pack.
  • Doesn't have any cell balancing
  • Charger handshakes with micro-controller on battery before charging. There are lots of stories of the pack rather exuberantly declaring itself dead which bricks the pack.

So I am assessing what my long term options are before I invest further in batteries or tools and I would really appreciate any info, experience or views that members here have.

I could go back to the awkwardly shaped but cheap and reliable Ryobi, or from a bit of research, Milwaukee and DeWalt appear to have packs that have cell balancing and are reliable.

Or if cell balancing is not that important I could stick with Makita packs, I could maybe buy an alternative slower charger and I would probably find it quite easy to find bricked packs to tinker around with.

Or I could forget the whole idea and just make separate Li-ion packs for use on the bike.

verytom

Newly Enlightened
IMO, not really the best idea especially for cycling.
Thanks I appreciate the advice, however, it would be great if you could elaborate. In my current thinking they are good for mountianbiking as they have a nice resilient casing and provide around the amount of Wh that I need for long night rides through the forest.

I think I should have gone with Milwaukee, although they are not that easy to get hold of in Singapore and now I've got a Makita I'll probably stick with it.

I'm hatching a scheme though. If I get some bricked Makita batteries, then I could swap good cells into a few packs and then make a new PCB for them which allows me to balance charge each cell using a hobby charger. If I wire each bank of cells to the existing data connector then I could probably even hack the hobby charger into the Makita charger so I've still got I nice plug in unit with the cooling fan - although I need to check what current the data connector could handle.

1500mAh per cell doesn't sound too bad as that'd match up with the spec for a 3Ah pack.

verytom

Newly Enlightened
Pix or it didn't happen. lol.
Ha! It's nothing impressive e.g the main one just some Luxeon stars attached onto an old PC heatsink, wired up to the puck and lenses taken out of crappy blown GU10 lamps. Didn't require any circuit design or anything. All my stuff is still on the ocean but will share pictures if you want when I have retrieved it all.