eternaLight Derringer question

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I need help from experienced Derringer owners.

I just got an eternaLight Derringer from Glow-Bug, and my wife saw it (uh-oh!) as I was playing with it. She thought it was cute, and liked the red LED in the center. Now she wants me to order another one (yay!) for her to carry in her purse. Her only question was one I couldn't answer. How likely is this to get turned on in her purse, and run the batteries down?

I have experience with the original eternaLight, the ErgoMarine, and the ErgoX-ray, but those buttons are all harder to press than on the Derringer.

Feedback, please? I'm kind of in a hurry, here, because her birthday is just about as close as St. Valentine's Day.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
From my very brief experience and knowing how my wife packs her purse I would say that it is very likely the light will be turned on momentarily and will occasionally even go into the timer mode (and be on for 10 min.). I you can convince her to keep it in a separate pocket it might not come on too often. Of course, it's the thought that counts. If she likes it, get her one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If the button gets squished for less than two seconds, no problems there. If the button gets squished for more than two seconds, the Derringer comes on in "timer" mode, and will then shut itself all the way off after 10 minutes.
If this happens only once in awhile, there should be nothing to worry about. But if this happens frequently, there could be a problem.

Have her keep it button-side up on the top of her purse, or in a seperate pocket in the purse.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one in my lunch bag at work...while it's not a purse, it's usually packed with a lot of s#$*! I've never had mine activate accidentally, although it is in a seperate compartment...hope this helps.

PJD

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kris,

I have carried my Derringer in my pants pocket with no problems. I don't have a purse so can not comment on that. My wifes purse would not be a problem though.

Tom

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Sounds like I need input from someone who carries a purse. Sasha? Ohhh, Sasha! Do you own a Derringer and carry it in a purse?

Thanks for the quick feedback, guys. I think the separate pocket idea is the best one for my wife so far, but I think I'll see what other answers I can get before I send MrEternaLight some more cash.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kris,

Jeans back pocket while camping.

My jeans are not real tight, but I do have an ample posterior which makes the pockets a little tight...

Tom

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
As Craig pointed out and I will substantiate, the purpose of the 2 second delay is to prevent it from accidentally turning on in this condition. Our tests showed low probability of activation for this period in these conditions.