Liitokala 500 NOR test results on old batteries vs "fast test", just curious result

frasera

Newly Enlightened
Liitokala 500 NOR test results on old batteries vs "fast test", just curious result

Got a liitokala 500 since they are so cheap now to rummage through my old battery pile to see which ones to throw out.
Many of the AAA's and AA's on the fast test give capacity readings from 10% to even 100% of normal, but on the NOR test, many go far lower or even have a 0 rating, which I assume means the test failed.

One AAA read 528mAh on the fast test, and 8mAh on the NOR test

I think the fast test measures charge capacity in 2 steps, while the NOR test measures discharge capacity in 3 steps.
I tried two of the NOR failed AAA's in a low drain IR thermometer and they do work, how long I have no idea since its such a light usage device.

All the resistance readings are 45, but I've read the device doesn't accurately measure that regardless.

Just curious at the explanation of this result.

As for the unit, it's a pretty good charger, only flaws are that it doesn't alert to which battery slot has completed its cycle since the display only shows stats on any one slot at a time. Also the battery holders would be easier to use if the slider was on the bottom.

They are very cheap on ebay and aliexpress btw.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Re: Liitokala 500 NOR test results on old batteries vs "fast test", just curious resu

I have the same charger. Love it. Battery tests in "fast" mode involve measuring how many amps need to be put into an empty battery to fully charger it. "Normal" mode measures how many amps it takes to drain a full battery (this typically takes longer as it has to first fully charge the battery and then discharge and recharge it again). NiMH batteries loose a lot of the charging amps to heat during charging. As a result the "fast" test with NiMH will be very optimistic. The "normal" test for NiMH will be far far more accurate. I find that with LiIon batteries the fast test is much closer to the results with the "normal" test. LiIon tend to shed fewer amps to heat during a charge cycle.

Short version: Fast test is OK for Lithium Ion batteries. Normal test is required for anything resembling accuracy with NiMH, particularly old ones with high internal resistance.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
Re: Liitokala 500 NOR test results on old batteries vs "fast test", just curious resu

Ah ok, I find the "nor" mode batteries which completely fail will if retested start to immediately start the charge mode in fast, and then they'll climb to sometimes ridiculous levels beyond full.
I guess no fast mode for me then:fail:

andrewnewman

Enlightened

Ah ok, I find the "nor" mode batteries which completely fail will if retested start to immediately start the charge mode in fast, and then they'll climb to sometimes ridiculous levels beyond full.
I guess no fast mode for me then:fail:

Sorry I don't understand this statement. "Fast" mode (as you stated above) is 2-step test and "Normal" mode is 3-step. Neither is a "fast" charge mode. The charge rate is controlled seperately. If the batteries miss termination they will terminate on voltage at around 1.55V. If the charger is interrupted it will begin a 500mA charge, not a "fast test".

Latest posts