MC-E dynamic white for flashlight?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive searched not just on CPF but the web in general and i cant find any instance of the MC-E dynamic white being used in a flashlight. i understand that the purpose of having the two warm/two cool dice is to be able to adjust color temprature. but is there anything to gain by have all 4 lit up and being driven the same? also, does CRI math apply in which the warm dice has a better color rendering with reds and the cool having better color rendering with blues, then would it have good rendering across the board with the cool and warm going at the same time? i wouldn't be controlling the warm and cool individually, they would all be powered the same at every level so is there really any difference between that and a neutral MC-E? any input would be appreciated.

Canuke

Enlightened
I haven't seen any MC-E used in flashlights for a long while.

As for using the dynamic white in a light, what I'd expect is you'd get color variations across the hotspot because of the warm/cool dies. It'll be perfectly usable, and overall will end up being something like 3800k or so, but it won't be evenly mixed. It would be a less extreme version of the rainbows you get from trying to mix RGB in a flashlight.

Regarding CRI, I would not expect much of an improvement (if any) between the two sources, since their deficiencies - the cyan "ditch" and the complementary deficit in the deep reds - are likely to be very similar between them. If they were radically different, you could in theory get a CRI improvement as each source "fills in" the deficiencies of the other, but I'm not inclined to bet on it here due to the sources coming from the same manufacturer.