1000 Lumen Flashlight at Home Depot

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Well, correct me if I am wrong but, if that is running a CREE based emitter in there pumping out 1000 lumens, I doubt it would last long on a set of D-Cells, simply because alkalines have no capacity. Now, if you were to fit 4 18650 lithium's in that baby, that thing will shine like a star. Also I notice there isn't much style going on with that one, I mean its got what appears to be a tactical bezel which is cool but not much else. I personally would pass.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing and noticed the only maglite they carried were the AA mini. I'm thinking that these lights are what they're carrying instead.

MX421

Enlightened
Well, correct me if I am wrong but, if that is running a CREE based emitter in there pumping out 1000 lumens, I doubt it would last long on a set of D-Cells, simply because alkalines have no capacity. Now, if you were to fit 4 18650 lithium's in that baby, that thing will shine like a star. Also I notice there isn't much style going on with that one, I mean its got what appears to be a tactical bezel which is cool but not much else. I personally would pass.

A rechargeable D cell has about 10,000 mAh, versus the better 18650 have about 3500 mAh. The 18650s have 3X the voltage though.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a great item for the forumdisplay.php?130 milieux.

Any edc Nitecore or similar will deliver that performance in a much more compact package. :)

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Hey, those in the modding community could totally hack this light! If one of you does this, please do post your progress pictures if you can. :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so, after some "relationship bargaining" I've convinced my wife to let me blow another +$50 on a light...that may or may not survive the modification process.... After bills are paid, I'll pick one of these up and begin the process.
Depending on construction, I'm thinking either uber high CRI flooder with 3 N319b at 1A on a custom copper star and sink OR 3 warm white xm-L2s dedomed for throw and max output; maybe 4A for them. I've also considered a warm white/UV/IR but in all reality, I wouldn't have as much a use for that set up.

light-modder

Enlightened
Sounds like a plan. With the proposed set up I don't think your gonna hit 3klms but your gonna be running primaries so it sounds like a winner to me.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess what I picked up today.....

Tail switch...

Rubber bezel & lens

LE installed...

Removal...

LE hole

LE itself. (Reflector has single screw inside heatsink holding it to LED heatsink)

Driver (held in by black screw cap)

LED 3up sinkpad. Oddly enough, wired in parallel.

No noticeable PWM on high
(Edit: there IS PWM on high, to fast for camera to detect but noticeable when moving fast or shifting vision with stationary light)

One of the higher Hz pwm low modes.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
All in all, not a bad light. A lil on the heavy side, could certainly do some damage on the down swing. Seems solidly built... Switch may be an issue in the future tho.
Surprisingly, it tail stands but being top heavy, tends to want to fall easily. Rubber caps mildly prevent rolling. Will do a runtime test on fresh batteries.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime test in progress....

No real noticeable dimming after 30 mins, also noted that the heatsink/head didn't warm much, in fact, it seems most of the heat is coming from the battery tube/batteries rather than the LEDs.

Notable dimming after 1 hr but still plenty of usable light.

Significant dimming at the 3hr mark. Warmth has cooled down. Again, still plenty of usable light but 13hrs...? Thinking not.

5hr mark, I'd say less than 60% of its full output. Not dimming fast but steadily.

6hrs now less than 50% and I'm calling it.

There's still useable light and I could let it run down for probably 3 more hrs or so but not for 13hrs.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:cool:Looks like an excellent type light for around house, kind of a left at the back door light ready to light up the yard!

Any plans on LED swaps................xpl HI maybe in a warm-neutral tint?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
:cool:Looks like an excellent type light for around house, kind of a left at the back door light ready to light up the yard!

Any plans on LED swaps................xpl HI maybe in a warm-neutral tint?

Agreed, or in the car. O'Course lithiums over alkaleaks for any significant amount of storage time.

As far as modding goes....
I have to measure the board and see if I can find one same dimensions but set up for xml2 footprint. Like I said, it's a parallel board and the dies/pads on it are smaller than xpl, xml, etc.
I would like something warmer as I prefer the incan look.
The heatsinking seems very good for stock so not to worried about that.
Still need to check out the switch and see if it'll handle any substantial current.
I'll do a tailcap current check next.
As far as a new driver goes... That's a tough one, might probe Mtn. Electronics and see what he has in the 3 up 12v area. I plan to run lithiums, 3s most likely.

Latest posts