• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Anodized makai

Hfdcowboy

Newly Enlightened
Hello all you Mcgizmo experts. Question? I just picked up a blue anodized makai from the exchange. Is there an easy way to remove the anodizing from the titanium?

I have read several ways to remove it from aluminum, but I am sure the process is different for titanium.

What say you?

archimedes

Flashaholic
The anodized titanium oxide layer is several microns thick. It can be removed physically, such as with abrasives.

It can also be removed chemically, but the materials are hazardous and toxic.

Hfdcowboy

Newly Enlightened
The anodized titanium oxide layer is several microns thick. It can be removed physically, such as with abrasives.

It can also be removed chemically, but the materials are hazardous and toxic.

So it needs to be bead blasted? Any media recommendations.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Beadblasting, tumbling, sanding ... lots of options.

Someone like @precisionworks would better know those specific details. A few years ago, I had an item I was considering deanodizing, and they were very helpful.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I like anodizing..., but Makai is not my favorite McGizmo (I have 5 PDs, love the Haiku, but...), with that all said. if you use a very fine wet sandpaper you can take off the "surface" anodizing & leave the ano that is in the lower/relieved area. If you beadblast you will end up with bead blast finish, not the more polished finish that is more typical.... I also like the beadblast Haiku that Don did, leaving only part beadblast (then I managed to have it DLC coated - I cannot leave anything alone....)

Q619

Newly Enlightened
Cape cod cloth and some elbow grease. Least abrasive and will leave you with a very fine/shiny finish. If it's not abrasive enough, adding flitz will help. I use both to polish my lights and my wheelguns.

Latest posts