another e-cig erruption

bartko09

Enlightened
He threw a raw Li ion into his pocket w a set of car keys. Next level stupid

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
He threw a raw Li ion into his pocket w a set of car keys. Next level stupid
The problem is that that doesn't get reported, just that a Li-Ion battery exploded in his pocket. Now we have x number more people sure that Li-Ions are the work of the devil and should be banned and/or shunned by all right thinking people - 'For their own good!'. I think I am going to make up some business cards that say 'Congratulations on making the finals for the Darwin Award! Keep up the good work and you may win the Grand Prize!', and hand them out as needed. Here's your card.

Borad

Enlightened
I read that it happened when he put change in his pocket.

These batteries should say on the case and packaging what charger to use, and they could make batteries with retractable shields that stay closed when outside of a device.

tripplec

Enlightened
Re: E-cig battery burns mans leg

I saw it on the news last night. Wow it was almost like a Roman Candle going off. 3rd degree burns as well. Roasted nuts??? Dam near eh...

RandyRTD

Newly Enlightened

Looks like he had a loose battery and coins in his pocket.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened

Looks like he had a loose battery and coins in his pocket.

So, the battery was not in the Ecig it was just laying loose in his pocket? Good reminder never to do that. I was rethinking my S1 in my pocket all the time after seeing this, but feel better now.

markr6

Flashaholic

I know it happens, but when I think about it, it seems impossible to short an 18650 in a pocket. If you gave me a handful of coins I don't think I could make it happen if I tried. Maybe if you had an opened paperclip and wire in there, maybe a wad of steel wool. But who does that?

I'm guessing it was something else with the ecig shorting the cell.

nbp

Flashaholic

Moving this to Smoke and Fire; carry on. :)

EDIT: I see there is a thread on this event, merging them now.

Last edited:

Locki

Newly Enlightened

I tell you what, the battery cases that my friends laugh at me for just got a whole lot more respect from me. :huh:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

After doing a little further poking around, the s-cig guy had two Efest batteries loose in his pocket. They had a close up of the unburnt wrapper.

In the same article I read, just in the UK in the last week, there have been 5 cases of e-cig smokers having batteries bursting into flame. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...r-old-s-leg-set-fire-device-blows-pocket.html

This is the follow up to the venting from the first post. This guy is supposed to be an engineer. Someone my want to pull his degree if he did indeed place loose batteries in his pocket.

318BA34900000578-3463653-image-m-22_1456401024731.jpg

One would think, that before the battery got to the point of venting, that you might have felt it getting rather warm before bursting into flame.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I'm not going to say it was the battery, but Efest is probably the "big" brand I trust the least.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I know it happens, but when I think about it, it seems impossible to short an 18650 in a pocket. If you gave me a handful of coins I don't think I could make it happen if I tried. Maybe if you had an opened paperclip and wire in there, maybe a wad of steel wool. But who does that?

How difficult do you believe it is if the wrapper is damaged?

DSC_3552.jpg