Mecarmy PT14

7hns

Newly Enlightened
My understanding is the Mecarmy PT14 can take AA batteries. Anyone tried this? What type of performance is expected?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it will be similar to the 16 as 14500 are the same basic voltage as the 16340 used in the 16.
When running on a standard AA though it will be less than 1/2 of that voltage and can't be near the same output.

I have been agonizing about this one or the PT16 myself as the runtime will be better with the 14 too and the only real downside is that it is longer.

I already checked and the PT14 also has the newer interface like on the newest PT16.

Oh the pain!

My understanding is the Mecarmy PT14 can take AA batteries. Anyone tried this? What type of performance is expected?

7hns

Newly Enlightened
I think it will be similar to the 16 as 14500 are the same basic voltage as the 16340 used in the 16.
When running on a standard AA though it will be less than 1/2 of that voltage and can't be near the same output.

I have been agonizing about this one or the PT16 myself as the runtime will be better with the 14 too and the only real downside is that it is longer.

I already checked and the PT14 also has the newer interface like on the newest PT16.

Oh the pain!

I went through the same thing and went with the PT14. My idea was to be able to in a pinch get AA batteries. I'm less worried about output and more worried about the fact that I could use the light if needed. Will any type of AA work? Rechargeable? LION? Alkaline? Etc.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats my thought too,I am trying to stay mainly with AA cells in general.

Any cell should work,that is the whole idea I think.
In reality I don't have one yet so be sure to let me know if you find out first.

I went through the same thing and went with the PT14. My idea was to be able to in a pinch get AA batteries. I'm less worried about output and more worried about the fact that I could use the light if needed. Will any type of AA work? Rechargeable? LION? Alkaline? Etc.

Remster

Newly Enlightened
I got my PT14 from Goinggear and so far I like the build quality. Overall, it's really good but here are the potential showstoppers:

1. It has no mode memory.
2. It has no electronic lockout.
3. I haven't been able to get it to work with standard AA cells.

I can live with 1 and 2 but issue 3 might make me return this item. The included 14500 cell is taller/longer than standard AA cells. I've tried the following: Eneloop Pro AA, Fujitsu AA and Imedion Powerex AA. So far, none of the other batteries aside from the included 14500 can turn the flashlight on. I've contacted Mecarmy and am awaiting their response. The lack of standard AA support makes me sad as I really like this flashlight. :(