ultrafire wf 139. green on charge?

fifer807

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

New to the forum, but i have been reading a lot. Recently moved from an UC40 UE to a PD 35 Tac edition (got to have those extra 40 lumens).

Because I now need to use 18650 batteries I purchased an ultrafire WF139 charger. (I know, I have read and learned and a new Nitecore D2 is on order). Anyway my charger is showing green when a discharged battery is put in it and red when the slot is empty. Is this a known issue or just a duff charger?

Also thanks to the site for the reset procedure. Saved me ditching my Fenix battery.

Cheers

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all

New to the forum, but i have been reading a lot. Recently moved from an UC40 UE to a PD 35 Tac edition (got to have those extra 40 lumens).

Because I now need to use 18650 batteries I purchased an ultrafire WF139 charger. (I know, I have read and learned and a new Nitecore D2 is on order). Anyway my charger is showing green when a discharged battery is put in it and red when the slot is empty. Is this a known issue or just a duff charger?

Also thanks to the site for the reset procedure. Saved me ditching my Fenix battery.

Cheers

What does your digital multi meter read on the cell?

If you don't have one, you should buy one.

Here's a a quote and review from the man, the myth :

"The charger has a connector for the mains lead and is sold with different mains leads depending on country. The mains supply can be from 100 to 240 VAC and 50 to 60 Hz. It can also be connected to a 12 volt source, i.e. a car.

There is two leds, they are red when charging with a occasional green flash. At all other times they are green. This means that the led will be green if a battery with to low voltage is placed in the charger!"

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger UltraFire WF-139 UK.html

If you're going to play with anything lithium-ion, you need to have a DMM handy.

Chris

fifer807

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chris

I have a DMM but its at work. Ill check on monday.

Reading the thread it appears I have messed up. When the battery was low I put it in the charger. I unplugged the charger overnight but left the battery in. The charger draws from the battery when unplugged. So now its flatter than a flat thing.

If i put it in the charger I get a very Dim green (expected from the review). This lasts a short time and then the protection must kick in because the leds go off. If i do the battery reset and put it back in the led comes back on dimly as before.

So the question now is have I duffed the battery?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris

I have a DMM but its at work. Ill check on monday.

Reading the thread it appears I have messed up. When the battery was low I put it in the charger. I unplugged the charger overnight but left the battery in. The charger draws from the battery when unplugged. So now its flatter than a flat thing.

If i put it in the charger I get a very Dim green (expected from the review). This lasts a short time and then the protection must kick in because the leds go off. If i do the battery reset and put it back in the led comes back on dimly as before.

So the question now is have I duffed the battery?

Well, some her have said that the good PCBs will cutoff at 2.40v and that's really not good, however, if you charge the cell up quickly, say within a few days, you might still get to use it, but it may have lost some cycles.

Unless you're down to your last pesos, I'd get some new cells, wait for your new D2 and just start anew, with quality stuff.

Chris

fifer807

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again Chris.

I ordered a nitecore cell at the same time so all should be good. Just a shame/stroke of luck it happened with the fenix battery as I have no idea if the 2 that came with the charger are ptotected.

Been tempted by the nitecore GT12 now as well. I can see this becoming expensive and addictive.

All lessons learned are good ones.

fifer807

Newly Enlightened
Just to update and close the thread. New D2 arrived (lovely charger). Battery was about 2.5 volts. It charged up without a problem. New nitecore battery is a snugger fit, maybe better insulated?

Anyways thanks for the replies and help.