Rec for Camping and traveling

alphaoccam

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm taking a trip from So Cal to the Reno/Tahoe area in 3 weeks.
As you can imagine I'll be stopping at lots of shady truck stops and gas stations along the way. As well as hiking when I get to Tahoe.

I currently have a Nitecore P12 and a ultrafire 3x xml t6 4000 lumens (Very exaggerated by manufacturer).

Are there any recommendations in the $100 price range?

What would you use?

I'm thinking a bright flashlight for self defense and flashlight for lighting up the trail safely.

Is what I have adequate? Or is there something new in the market but that I'm not aware of?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

I'm thinking a bright flashlight for self defense

That's problematic on a couple of levels, and many people here with more training than me will tell you it's not a good idea. So I'm sticking to suggestions purely about lighting.

First off, can you give us a little more information?

How far will you be walking between battery changes/charges? What battery format are you using in the P12? CR123A x2 or 18650? Got a good charger?

Will you be hiking at night?

Are you doing activities where carry weight is a moderate, a major or a critical consideration?

When I'm traveling for extended periods, I like to have as much redundancy as possible. I try to keep all my battery formats the same, I try to have multiple charging options, and I like to carry three lights. Those are a pocket-size flashlight, a larger light for distance work, and a headlamp. I buy mostly Fenix and Zebralight products, so that's what I'm most comfortable recommending, but Olight, Nitecore and other companies make solid lights. These days my travel kit is a Zebralight H52fw 1xAA headlamp, a Zebralight SC52w 1xAA pocket light, and a Thrunite TN4A (neutral white) 4xAA thrower. In short, that's what I'd take, but that collection will set you back closer to $200 if you include batteries.

The P12 is a good start. (Personally, I'd leave the Ultrafire in the car, or at home, and never count on it to work when I needed it.) The next thing I'd buy would be a headlamp. If you've never owned a good headlamp, it's going to change your life. For cooking dinner, setting up a tent, changing a flat tire (God forbid), there's nothing more convenient.

If you're using 18650 in the P12, and you don't mind having one of those strapped to your head (some people do), then I'd take a look at the Fenix HL60R. It's an 18650 headlamp with in-light USB recharging. I don't own it, so I'm basing my recommendation on the on-paper specs, but it has a number of camping-friendly features. It would also offer you a redundant charging option for 18650.

If you're using CR123A in the P12, then take a look at the Fenix HL50 headlamp. It accepts both AA and CR123A, can function as a hand-held flashlight, and has a lovely neutral white beam. I own it, and love it. (It has one critical flaw, which is that it's prone to accidental activation. I keep mine in a small pouch for that reason.) The ability to take multiple battery types is a really nice feature when you're on the road.

Zebralight makes excellent headlamps in either 18650 or CR123A formats; they're a little bit more expensive and will eat into your budget somewhat.

With the headlamp question settled for $50-60 or so, then I'd look for a pocket-sized light. If you're using CR123A, the Fenix E15 (2016 version) is a great little 1x CR123A option. It's been on my keys since Christmas, and I really like it. Super light weight, and only $30. The Olight S1 Baton is another very popular CR123A option.

You could also consider a lantern as your third light. Again, I'd recommend a Fenix product, the CL25R. 18650 or 2x CR123A, USB rechargeable, and a great set of camping-oriented features. I gave my dad one for Christmas, and he absolutely loves it when he's traveling. $60.

Hope that helps!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Get a good headlamp. The latest variant of the Petal XP is a fine lighting tool.

kelmo

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
Headtorch is the best way to go, you can use them when walking, when trying to find things in your camper van or when it breaks down at night. Also if you wear it in said shady truck stops people will be sure you're a lunatic and leave you alone. :D

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd say that you are fine with what you have, but like others have already suggested you might want to pack a headlamp.

I can't make a specific recommendation, but I like longer, rather than shorter run-times, so I would get one that takes an 18650 battery. An additional benefit is that all your lights would share the same size battery.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'd take the following:
- a WakaWaka Power;
- 3 Nitecore Tubes on lanyards;
- a Micro-USB to recharge the Tube(s) from the WWPower;
- Fenix CL-20 with 2 spare CR123a batteries;
- a $17. Convoy 18650 Light OR an Eagletac D25A light with several spare AA batteries.

Let there be light! :D

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Tubes are great.

There's also a headlamp model of the Tube, the Nitecore T360. The swivel-and-clip design is really, really good. I find that it doesn't have quite the oomph I want for walking around at night when it's on my head, but they're great for close tasks.