Can a 9012 be dipped for a bulb cap?

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I have a forum member on another site asking about running 9012 in a 1994 Corolla without bulb shields and the thought popped in my head wondering if there's any sort of user applied coating that could make the tip of the bulb like a 9006?

I'm sure I'm mistaken but the thought was very intriguing to me. I mean it's just an external non reflective high durability coating right?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a forum member on another site asking about running 9012 in a 1994 Corolla without bulb shields and the thought popped in my head wondering if there's any sort of user applied coating that could make the tip of the bulb like a 9006?
Sure, if you want the bulb to blow up or the coating to just outgas and ruin the optics. It's a ceramic coating that is baked in a controlled environment-- it can't be done 'in the field'.

Putting HIR1 in the high beams will be just fine, but the HIR2 in the lows won't be, with or without the 'blacktop' on the end of the bulb. The Philips X-Treme Vision is the best choice for them.

This sounded familiar to me, so I used the Forum Search and put in the words "homemade bulb blacktop". Look at the first match it came up with.

Last edited:

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Thanks for the link I searched before I posted but didn't have the key words right, I knew there was a reason why it's not been discussed more