LED identification

Creexpe

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

This is my first post, and thank you for your time :D

I have two flashlights from amazon. I was trying to identify the LED

49ku83qs3

This is a red led, I think it is CREE xlamp XP-E. However, I don't know whether it is red-orange, red, photo red, or far red. My guess is just red, since it is quite red.

v9ymwof2r
cgctzogur

These two are from a violet/UV flash light. I guess it might be CREE, but I can't go further from here. This flashlight has three modes.

*link removed

Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Creexpe, and welcome to the forum!

Your links didn't work. I suspect that the issue is you don't understand the restrictions imposed by this forum. They are more restrictive than allowed by the software the forum uses.

You cannot directly insert images in your posts, despite indications that this is possible. In order to post images, you have to have the images available on another site, and include a link to the image in your post. Photo and file sharing sites abound; use your favorite one. As long as you can post a link to the image, it's good (but avoid hot-linking, as prohibited in the rules).

I don't know what lights you have. Really cheap lights may have knockoff LEDs in them that look like but are not equal to the brands they look like. Better brands of lights are more likely to have genuine parts.

Posting the manufacturer and model of the light might help in identifying the LED.

djozz

Newly Enlightened
The last led shows four bond wires which Cree never used in XP-package (the XR-E still had 4 bond wires), and for that matter, Cree AFAIK did not make any UV-leds since the XR-E, and this XP-size 4 bond wire one will be a chinese one.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three simple ways to remember which way round an LED goes in a circuit.

1, Looking down from the top of the LED there is usually a flattened edge, this identifies the negative pin of the LED.

2, If the LED is new, there will be one lead longer than the other. The long lead is the positive pin and the short lead will be the negative pin.

3, If you hold the LED sideways on and view through the plastic, there will be two parts, a small straight pin and a fatter 'L' shaped pin. The small pin is the positive side and the fatter 'L' shaped pin is the negative side.

That's true for encapsulated LEDs (5mm, straw hats, etc), power LEDs not so much.