Garage Sale Find: "Polarion Night Reaper" Flashlight - pic heavy

Snarf77

Newly Enlightened
Brand new to the forum, so please let me know if I put this in the wrong area. I found this and a couple similar items at a garage sale/flea market yesterday for what I thought was a good deal considering how well they appear to be made. I thought it was just an empty pelican case (what I was after), but it has this monster light inside. So I bought it...

I plugged the battery in but it doesn't turn the light on. The charger looks to be 12v but the gent said I would have to jump start the lipo battery with another charger before this charger would work. I was hoping to gather some additional information as I'm not a flashlight enthusiast. Pulled out my photo box and took the below pictures for reference. I did an "advanced" search for the light brand but didn't find much. I did go to the website, but that doesn't help with my concerns of getting it to work right.

Also appears to have some type of vehicle power adapter cable. I honestly don't think it has been used. Any information is much appreciated.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BS meter is not pegged, but something seems a little off with your story.

If it's indeed sincere and true, nice find.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed...I wonder what the reach is on that beast. First thing I thought when I saw the first pic was military issue.

Snarf77

Newly Enlightened
It is a very heavy flashlight. It can be hand carried though I don't think I'd want to for very long. Read through this specs above and this is way more flashlight than I thought/need!

I'm going to focus my attention on trying to bump the battery voltage up enough to get the charger to recognize the 5500mah LiPo and charge it fully.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
A poster here represents Polarion sales.

I doubt that spiking the battery will do anything for you. If you've got the cables, try it on 12 volts. If it works, pony up for the battery and keep or sell it off.
You said you were interested the case, so keep the case and sell the light.

Snarf77

Newly Enlightened
A poster here represents Polarion sales.

I doubt that spiking the battery will do anything for you. If you've got the cables, try it on 12 volts. If it works, pony up for the battery and keep or sell it off.
You said you were interested the case, so keep the case and sell the light.

I may end up selling it either way and getting something more mag-lite size although I have been reading and lipos are recoverable. The rc car community guys bump low voltage lithium polymer batteries by charging on a nickel cadmium chemistry setting for 1 or 2 minutes. That gets the lipo voltage just high enough for the charger to recognize the battery is there and take over the charge process. Too low a voltage and the charger doesn't even see the battery.

I just have to figure out how to interface a charger with this battery. Its worth a shot as I guarantee this is a fantastically expensive battery.

But like you said..I was initially after the case for another item. Its just a problem I have with widgets; I want to see them work.

Snarf77

Newly Enlightened
My BS meter is not pegged, but something seems a little off with your story.

If it's indeed sincere and true, nice find.

I flea market and yard sale every weekend. You'd be amazed at the things I've found and procured. I always try to buy Pelican cases as they are super useful (I'm a jeeper and love waterproof boxes). Sometimes the pelicans have odd things in them. I've found loaded rifles to adult toy collections (decided not to buy that one).

I had to pay $100 for this light and more for a few other items in a hope I could get it working. I figured the pelican was worth 30-40 so what the heck.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may end up selling it either way and getting something more mag-lite size although I have been reading and lipos are recoverable. The rc car community guys bump low voltage lithium polymer batteries by charging on a nickel cadmium chemistry setting for 1 or 2 minutes. That gets the lipo voltage just high enough for the charger to recognize the battery is there and take over the charge process. Too low a voltage and the charger doesn't even see the battery.

I just have to figure out how to interface a charger with this battery. Its worth a shot as I guarantee this is a fantastically expensive battery.

But like you said..I was initially after the case for another item. Its just a problem I have with widgets; I want to see them work.

The issue with recovering a battery pack is if one cell is trash, the charger won't do anything to bring it up.

Member Polarion-Sparetech2 has posted before if I recall correctly that the pcb inside is an issue with installing new batteries inside the casing.

I can't find the posting from PS2, but he posted about batteries and spare parts for a few of the Polarion lights.

If and when you decide to sell, drop me a PM, as I'm always purchasing HID lights and such.

Snarf77

Newly Enlightened
The issue with recovering a battery pack is if one cell is trash, the charger won't do anything to bring it up.

Member Polarion-Sparetech2 has posted before if I recall correctly that the pcb inside is an issue with installing new batteries inside the casing.

I can't find the posting from PS2, but he posted about batteries and spare parts for a few of the Polarion lights.

If and when you decide to sell, drop me a PM, as I'm always purchasing HID lights and such.

Thank you! Excellent jumping off point. I will try to find the same post you reference. If I can't I might venture a PM.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garage Sale Find: "Polarion Night Reaper" Flashlight - pic heavy

I received a PM from Snarf77 the other day in regards to the Polarion Nightreaper light he had, actually two of them.
We struck a deal, and I received the light late this afternoon.

The light is in excellent condition with a few small spots of anodizing missing. Knowing the the battery was bad, I connected a Surefire Hellfighter set of cables and a BB2590 battery, viola, the light works.

5BC95473-76AA-434C-A135-52F3B07309BB_zpsg8vcscib.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've popped the battery apart and found that one cell is close to stone cold dead. I'll order some Sanyo GA's and spot weld some tabs to see if the light will run from internal power in the next few weeks. Once it's running on its own power, I'll post up a small review.

Anyone thinking about purchasing a Polarion branded Nightreaper, please understand that Polarion doesn't have spare parts.
Nightreaper Systems headed by Ken Good purchased the name Nightreaper. Per the communication I had with him, Nightreaper won't repair the Polarion manufactured lights.
I inquired at a possible upgrade and was informed that there is little that resembles the first version light both inside and out. It is what it is.

Neat light, but it is heavy.

Last edited:

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
Re: Garage Sale Find: "Polarion Night Reaper" Flashlight - pic heavy

Sorry for a late reply to this thread. Polarion does not recommend altering batteries in any way. If it is dead, purchase a new one. Polarion still services the lights sold as "Nightreaper". Go through Polarion-store for details (look under CSWL).