Storacell

Thread: Osram HMI Question

Default Osram HMI Question

Anybody here familiar with this bulb Osram HMI the part about ideally suited to battery powered luminaires is what caught my attention but I canít find anything on a DC powered ballast for it. I has good color 5600K, small package and is capable of hot restrike.

Later
    Sway

Flashaholic

Default Re: Osram HMI Question

I did some searching on Google for TV news HMI, and came up with a popular manufacturer, Joker HMI. Looking for ballasts for this produced some interesting results, not to mention expensive! The one price I saw for a 30VDC ballast was over a grand! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] The inverter/AC ballast rigs were a lot cheaper, as are the lights. You can pick up a whole 200W fixture with ballast for less than $150!

Chris

links please??

There is some more information on this style/type/chemistry of lamp on this very interesting page at http://www.vsg.cape.com/~pbaum/hmi.htm

That sure doesn't sound like it's all that good for a flashlight since the orientation and other factors are important... But the specific osram bulb you linked to above may have overcome some of those limitations.

Thanks James...
    This statement about HMI from your link shook me a bit...
    [ QUOTE ]
    For safety reasons, HMI lamps should be replaced when operated more than 25 percent of their rated lifetime due to the risk of lamp explosion due to recrystallization of the quartz glass.

[/ QUOTE ]
    25% ??? if you should replace them before a half of their life is spent... then.. well.. what good are they? I am also not fond of exploding lamps. (at least, not by accident. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] )

As you mention in your post... hopefully the above mentioned lamp has overcome these disclaimers as they sound interesting for potential portable applications.

I'm hooked on HID these days [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

James S,

Thanks for the link I will look in to it.

Later
    Sway