What is currently the most powerful 1xAA neutral white headlamp ?

marcis

Newly Enlightened
I love zebralights, but I have not been on this forum in months now, and have no idea what has been released. Also, Beam is important to me ... what I love about the zebralights is no rings/artifacts.

flood and/or hotspot are both OK with me. right now I am mostly looking for a hotspot style light, but in the coming months want to upgrade my h502 flood

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my Zebralight H51Fc, but after having moved to 18650 powered H600w, it's hard to imagine going back. I'd go for a 2 AA light at least at this point.
With that, said, ZL seems to stay on top with the buck/boost regulator efficiency.
We all love their runtimes.
H600w MK II is amazing, get the charger, get some batteries, come on over, weight is not an issue once you consider the efficiency and power density available.
-I switch my battery out every month or so, or whenever it shows 3 or 2 out of four capacity flashes, whether I need to or not.
Serious day, to day utility with x the 18650 batteries, about like having 5 of the 2400mAh AA Eneloops in your light all at once, with maybe twice the weight and volume.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love single AA lights, it's just really hard to recommend one with the current state of 18650 lights.

I really like the L3 Illumination L10 4 mode Nichia twisty models though.
Where I started from, the red led Infinity Ultra, with the 5mm red led that ran for a week on an AA battery was amazing. The 4 mode (with firefly), high coloring index Nichia led supplied by L3 Illumination is the same deal, 20 years later, amazement wise, and utility wise.

For low weight, low volume, and least moving parts I'd recommend one of those AA twisties, but for best headlamp I say move up to 18650 powered lights.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I wonder if the Tiara A1 is? Probably with 14500 but is it with LSD NiMH. Given how bright and the runtimes offered today with 1XAA (wasn't always like that) it's not so bad and offers the usual AA pros.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I can recommend ZL AA headlights.

I use one, on my head, when running in my neighborhood. An 18650 powered one would be too heavy; the H52w I use is wonderfully light, and provides plenty of light at 50 lm for my use. An 18650 would be unnecessarily heavy and the extra run time is not needed. I also use a H502w on my belt when hiking, and a pair of H502d on the back of my hands when trail running. Perfect blend of run time and light weight also.

Most of my running and hiking does not need more than 50 lm, so AA powered lights work great. My H600 lights are great when you need the brightness or run time, but I only need that on a mountain bike. My H602 gets LOTS of use around the house.

Steve

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can recommend ZL AA headlights.

I use one, on my head, when running in my neighborhood. An 18650 powered one would be too heavy; the H52w I use is wonderfully light, and provides plenty of light at 50 lm for my use. An 18650 would be unnecessarily heavy and the extra run time is not needed. I also use a H502w on my belt when hiking, and a pair of H502d on the back of my hands when trail running. Perfect blend of run time and light weight also.

Most of my running and hiking does not need more than 50 lm, so AA powered lights work great. My H600 lights are great when you need the brightness or run time, but I only need that on a mountain bike. My H602 gets LOTS of use around the house.

Steve

The H52w is 80 grams(and its that's with only a 2000mah battery) and the H600w is 124 grams. That's only 44grams heavier. I dont know if I would call that unnecessarily heavy lol. Plus it has a top strap to further support its weight.

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
I only have an ultrafire uf-h2 for aa headlamp..it's pretty good for up close :D
smiley-basic-gif

zebralight h600 is my favourite headlamp though..1×18650 and bright as hell..good amount of flood and decent range too..

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the 18650 powered H600w was kind of a revelation, it put me off of bothering to look for any more lights for over a year anyways.
Amazing light, not perfect of course but just amazing. The additional weight and volume is irrelevant compared to the increased power, runtime, and simpler charging vs AA NiMH (which is also Amazing), not that that's a major issue, it isn't... but drifting into other topics it could be.
Anyhow, H600w is an amazing light, long story made short.

BTW, did I mention "Amazing"?

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the 18650 powered H600w was kind of a revelation, it put me off of bothering to look for any more lights for over a year anyways.
Amazing light, not perfect of course but just amazing. The additional weight and volume is irrelevant compared to the increased power, runtime, and simpler charging vs AA NiMH (which is also Amazing), not that that's a major issue, it isn't... but drifting into other topics it could be.
Anyhow, H600w is an amazing light, long story made short.

BTW, did I mention "Amazing"?

+1

I dont think I will ever buy another AA light again really. Once you go Lithium Ion its hard to go back. Its all CR123a/RCR123, 18350, and 18650 from here on out for me.

D6859

Enlightened
I wonder if the Tiara A1 is? Probably with 14500 but is it with LSD NiMH. Given how bright and the runtimes offered today with 1XAA (wasn't always like that) it's not so bad and offers the usual AA pros.

+1 I was amazed by the power Tiara puts out with both LSD NiMH and 14500.

I'm still using mainly Tiara A1 as my headlamp. Wizard stays ready in my S&R backpack and I use it usually when I know I have to work/walk in the dark for long time.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 I was amazed by the power Tiara puts out with both LSD NiMH and 14500.

I'm still using mainly Tiara A1 as my headlamp. Wizard stays ready in my S&R backpack and I use it usually when I know I have to work/walk in the dark for long time.

The great thing about Zebralight headlamps is they are extremely light. Even the H600 which is 18650 powered like the Wizard is significantly lighter then even the Tiara A1/A1 Pro. So, why not have a much more powerful and longer lasting 18650 powered headlamp. I used to use AA and AAA powered headlamps but, ever since I got a H600Fc MKIII I will never go back. Its just so nice having the extra power and runtime when needed. Not to mention the option of many different beam profiles and emitters.

D6859

Enlightened
The great thing about Zebralight headlamps is they are extremely light. Even the H600 which is 18650 powered like the Wizard is significantly lighter then even the Tiara A1/A1 Pro. So, why not have a much more powerful and longer lasting 18650 powered headlamp. I used to use AA and AAA powered headlamps but, ever since I got a H600Fc MKIII I will never go back. Its just so nice having the extra power and runtime when needed. Not to mention the option of many different beam profiles and emitters.

Now that you mentioned, I noticed my Wizard Pro (56g) is lighter than my Tiara v1 (61g). I've noticed also that the over-the-head strap makes the headlamp feel more comfortable and steadier.

I was about say something about the weight of an 18650 vs. AA NiMH, but then I compared the weight of H600 MKII (39g) to Tiara's (v1=61g, v2=48g). The weight difference in battery, ~47g Li-ion vs. ~31g NiMH, seems insignificant if you're comparing H600 vs. Tiara with battery in them. Even my Wizard and Tiara have only 11g between them with the battery in.

Back to the topic: I think the extra weight in Tiara is a good heatsink which makes it able to run on so high. But I'm not sure if weight alone made it the most powerful 1xAA.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that you mentioned, I noticed my Wizard Pro (56g) is lighter than my Tiara v1 (61g). I've noticed also that the over-the-head strap makes the headlamp feel more comfortable and steadier.

I was about say something about the weight of an 18650 vs. AA NiMH, but then I compared the weight of H600 MKII (39g) to Tiara's (v1=61g, v2=48g). The weight difference in battery, ~47g Li-ion vs. ~31g NiMH, seems insignificant if you're comparing H600 vs. Tiara with battery in them. Even my Wizard and Tiara have only 11g between them with the battery in.

Back to the topic: I think the extra weight in Tiara is a good heatsink which makes it able to run on so high. But I'm not sure if weight alone made it the most powerful 1xAA.

Another thing to note is not only is the H600 lighter then both the Wizard Pro and Tiara A1 Pro(H600 is more comparable to the Pro models) with batteries included but, it is also brighter and much more efficient(significantly longer runtimes). It also has a better thermal management system and programmable UI with more modes and the ability to select the ones you want. So, if the lightest weight, brightest, and most efficient headlamp is what the OP is after then the H600 is the best option imo.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aa energizer lithium weighs 15g
h602 with battery and headband 128.6 gram
h52 with a (heavy) eneloop and headband 80 gram, but only 70 g with a energizer lithium.

The weight difference of 58,6grams don't sound like mutch, but it can make a big difference on the head if your active.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aa energizer lithium weighs 15g
h602 with battery and headband 128.6 gram
h52 with a (heavy) eneloop and headband 80 gram, but only 70 g with a energizer lithium.

The weight difference of 58,6grams don't sound like mutch, but it can make a big difference on the head if your active.

I think its a personal preference thing really. I think the extra 38.6grams(H52 with Eneloop Pro 2550mah vs H600 with 3400mah) is well worth it for the added runtime and brightness personally. I dont find the H600 heavy(although lighter is always better) especially with the top strap on, and I am very "active". I find a AA light like the H52 just has too little runtime at the higher outputs for any extended excursions. And changing batteries in the field is annoying not to mention the added weight of carrying extra batteries. Plus, it is really nice having the much higher output for certain situations(1090 lumens for 2 hours vs 300 lumens for 0.9 of an hour). YMMV though.

markr6

Flashaholic

Pretty much everything I was thinking!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its a personal preference thing really. I think the extra 38.6grams(H52 with Eneloop Pro 2550mah vs H600 with 3400mah) is well worth it for the added runtime and brightness personally. I dont find the H600 heavy(although lighter is always better) especially with the top strap on, and I am very "active". I find a AA light like the H52 just has too little runtime at the higher outputs for any extended excursions. And changing batteries in the field is annoying not to mention the added weight of carrying extra batteries. Plus, it is really nice having the much higher output for certain situations(1090 lumens for 2 hours vs 300 lumens for 0.9 of an hour). YMMV though.

Yes i agree to some points. If you want max brightness, the aa zebra got way too short runtimes. I got way more 18650 lights compared to my aa lights collection. But aa got its uses. I never use my zebra on max, usually low 2 or med 1, so a single 14500 will usually last me a outdoor trip for the whole weekend. I have had the same spare energizer lithium in my backpack for years. The 18650 is just overkill for my uses, so it stays at home. The ladscape where i live can be described like this: there is steep uphill, or downhill, and usually nothing in between. In places like this, i shave off every gram i can from my backpack. All those grams adds up if you have to climb to get to your favorite fishing spots :)
IMG_4403_zps9f3pwpg2.jpg

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are not a lot of neutral white headlamps out there. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Fenix HL50. Some have mentioned that 18650 is the way to go. No argument there as far as run time goes, but a single AA or single CR123A head lamp is pretty light (as in not heavy). Being that I'm not a connoisseur of headlamps like I am the flashlights, I think the Fenix HL50 is pretty decent considering the price. It won't be as powerful as a 18650 but Fenix does make pretty efficient drivers.

not_waterproof

Newly Enlightened
I have an Armytek Tiara A1 Pro and an older Zebralight (with 260ish Lumens, I think). The interface and changing batteries on the Armytek is much worse than the Zebralight's (very hard to operate with gloves on, impossible to get to strobe mode). At the high level, it eats through I would say 2/3 of an AA battery in 15 minutes or so but of course the brightness is fantastic.