Maxpedition AGR/1        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haiku Build - However which options??

Default Re: Haiku Build - However which options??

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Or they have a modded 3 amp Haiku! 
    Yeah, something like that........

A lot of great information has already been posted, being late to the party i have not much to add

The specs of the HiveLD have been stated correctly with the default maximum output current being 1 A and the possible maximum that can be configured through the setup being 1.2 A. With the thermal monitoring at the default value, the driver will reduce the output after a longer runtime even at 1 A in a Haiku, at 1.2 A this will happen sooner of course. This will keep the LED and driver below any critical temperature level.

It is true that the low output relies on PWM below 12mA (which equals brightness level 3 of 21), while all higher brightness levels are constant current. Brightness levels 4 and 5 can show some instability (flicker), that can be noticed when you don't move the light. For those looking for very low moonlight output or non-PWM output at low levels understandably this is not satisfying but it is something that i could not overcome with the current driver hardware, but i am looking for improvements for the next revision of the HiveLD-S.

The HiveLD works with all kind of cell types (2xNiMH (Eneloop), Primary, LiFePo and Li-Rechargeables). If you want to take advantage of the low battery reduction you have to set the right chemistry in the setup though. Because of the lower voltage level and thus the higher input currents for i. e. primary cells, the maximum output current is limited to a little below 1 A with those chemistries. You basically will need a Li-Ion rechargeable to reach the 1.2 A.

Again thanks all who have already collected all the detailed information above!
    Last edited by rush; 03-12-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Guys,

Thank you for all the great feedback, I thought i would let this thread run for a while and you have all given the steer and guidance i was hoping for.

In comparing the options ultimately the pocket clip makes the Haiku the winner over the HDS Rotary.

Thank you !!
    Alan
    Last edited by alanshort; 03-14-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

You won't regret getting the light with this clip as the deciding factor. Good lights need good clips, I would hate to have my Haiku slip out of my pocket but, with the McGizmo clip, it won't.

No doubt the best clip made in the industry. I just added an etched one and it is beautiful.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Either choice would've been a good one. I hope you enjoy your new light.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Either choice would've been a good one. I hope you enjoy your new light.
    I really like the dark sucks clips on my clickies but the McGizmo clip is deeper carry and way more secure in its hold.
    Both great lights but you'll love the Haiku.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by alanshort View Post
    Guys,

Thank you for all the great feedback, I thought i would let this thread run for a while and you have all given the steer and guidance i was hoping for.

In comparing the options ultimately the pocket clip makes the Haiku the winner over the HDS Rotary.

Thank you !!
    Alan
    so what emitter, body, and driver did you decide to go with?

Flashaholic*

Good choice on the Haiku!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post

No doubt the best clip made in the industry. I just added an etched one and it is beautiful.
    Definitely. If you're buying a McGizmo, the small extra price of the engraving is worth it. I love the initially at the tip. I wouldn't buy a plain one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12