IKEA RYET LED BULB TEARDOWN

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
A 400lm bulb for under $2.00 CDN (less than $1.50 USD). That's the cheapest I have ever seen from a vendor with a safety listed bulb.

I can't decide if this is a loss leader or if they can make a profit. Retail requires about a 100% markup... which would put the make-cost of the bulb at $0.75. Is that possible?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw your vid when you posted it, was shocked at the price..... Until the teardown. Non dimmable, ok.... No real heatsinking otoh is another story. Have you done an endurance test? I can't imagine the lifespan being all that good with no real cooling. I was thinking that these are basically a "low rent" bulb for the persons that can't afford quality LED lighting but still want better efficiency. $1.50 is something they can afford.

Thanks for the review EU!

SemiMan

Banned
There will be no losses on this bulb, but they will not be making 100% mark up, but they will not be losing money either:

- Tapped inductor is a well known architecture for non-isolated
- Taking out dimming makes for a good amount of cost savings on electronics
- I expect MFG cost is about $0.90-1.00 ..... the most expensive part being the control IC at maybe $0.15. The LEDs (all three combined) could be as low as $0.05US total. The E-Core inductor, LED PCB, plastic rounding out expensive parts.

Not much margin, but not 0.