Lights you would trust your life to.

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened
What lights would you trust if it came down to it? What would fire every time? I've never been placed in this situation thankfully, but for me it'd be my streamlight protac's. I tried olight simply because I like the idea of self contained edc recharable, but my S10 failed me multiple times. What lights do you trust?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about batteries I would trust my life on? lol Welcome to the forum.
McGizmo
Malkoff
Elzetta
Surefire
and several others.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
What lights would you trust if it came down to it? What would fire every time? I've never been placed in this situation thankfully, but for me it'd be my streamlight protac's. I tried olight simply because I like the idea of self contained edc recharable, but my S10 failed me multiple times. What lights do you trust?

I would personally trust Malkoff and that's it (if you're talking life and death). I like Surefire too, but saw some videos testing the G2X and there were some failures after a drop test. That took away some of my confidence.

While I generally trust Streamlight I did have a Protac 1AA crap out on me - modes went all crazy and flickered. Then couldn't get the light to come on at all. Then it worked fine - weird. That being said I have Streamlight TLR's on all of my HD firearms.... never had a problem with those.

Remember that this is kind of a personal question and it depends on a lot of subjective variables that are not scientific at all!

ncgrass

Enlightened
How about batteries I would trust my life on? lol Welcome to the forum.
McGizmo
Malkoff
Elzetta
Surefire
and several others.

Would you mind listing some of the others? I'm genuinely curious.

For me it's Elzetta. I have two bravos and they're yet to have any problems at all. My armytek predator v2.5 hasn't either so I'm inclined to throw it in too, though certainty not my prime c1.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Fenix PD35. First runner up is the E25UE, because of how many widely available power options it supports.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. While it's been several years since I hung up my LEO hat, the choices are pretty unchanged.

Streamlight
Surefire
Mag-Lite

While they were not around during my cop days, if I still wore the badge, I'd be open to Malkoff and HDS.

I don't know enough about the custom guys of this forum, but based on the reviews, I'd look into them.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've owned and used:

- SureFire 6P/C2/M2 with a Malkoff drop-in or P60L
- Fenix E01
- HDS EDC

Robert

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any non-budget light. Budget lights don't work when I need them to.

Non-budget lights always work when I press their buttons.

Any of the universally recognized major brands will fit this bill: Fenix, Zebralight, Nitecore, Olight, Thrunite, Niwalker, etc.

Any of the universally recognized custom light providers will fit this bill.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the Elzettas and probably my Surefires, then. Not so sure about the Surefires as of recent (this was stated above), but I am very satisfied with them and don't doubt their reliability.

BarryG

Enlightened
From my experience, Haiku, E01 and Sapphire.
All three never failed to turn on.

Barry

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking brands in general. To be fair, it probably should be stated that Every brand potentially has some bum models or versions of lights. Having said that, one could say XXX brand is junk, and XX brand is the best and vice versa with both being true at some point in time! What a perplexing conundrum!
ncgrass,
Good idea, A example of what I was thinking: Surefire C series with a Malkoff and the twisty tail cap. As a bonus, twist action lights typically have less moving parts to fail or need cleaning. But....you may need to clean treads as some point?

Personally, I like Armytek, however based on my personal experiences and others I have read, I wouldn't consider that brand, in general, to be worthy of the OPs question. But, like I typed above, Armytek may have a single model that is. But on average, nope.

There was a thread that was sorta like this one: I can't find it, it was something on the order of "Lights that always work". There were some good info in it.

I will add: I have several "budget" lights that I would trust my life with. I have several expensive or customs I wouldn't. And again vice versa! lol I say all this to repeat, there can be many variables in this thought exercise.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For me:
Malkoff and Elzetta tied for first.
Streamlight and Maglite tied for second.
I'd rely on all four but the top 2 were named first because of the extra durabilty.
Primary batteries in each.

I'll give a nod to my PK FL2's and PK Warrior II by ProTac, but they are collector lights that generally stay stashed. Again using primaries.

Not that I don't trust the SureFire brand but when a NIP Z59 arrived DOA the SureFires in my collection became just that...part of the collection. In stock form in my view, they're just as durable and reliable as the others I named.

For uber reliability, twisty switches are my favorite.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally something simple and bright. I naturally distrust anything with electronic mode selection and rely on my Malkoff HiLo rings for selection. As a one and only SHTF light I would recommend an Oveready Mini Turbohead (Direct Drive - no electronics at all) on a SF or Sf type body with a ZeroRez tail and unprotected 18650 cell.
Of course there's a chance the led could fail, but that's about it.
I use my own DD drop ins in a Malkoff MD2 with a ZeroRez, but you can't get hold of my drop ins.
P

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a torture test, I would submit my Malkoff and Peak lights. But in real life, for me, illumination boils down to the integrated system of the light and battery, so this applies:

How about batteries I would trust my life on?

Except for a few electronic clicky light glitches and failures, all my mechanical switch lights have been stone reliable (or easily by-passable), but I know my batteries are going to fail**, and sometimes suddenly (eg., Li-ion PCB in a drop). So when I really need dependable illumination, I'll take a low voltage Quark or D25A - both are easily rigged to run on any available battery, and have ultra-efficient low lows for the longest useable emergency runtime.

** Sure you can always carry extra batteries, but for just little extra bulk, so too extra flashlights around those batteries.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If fresh batteries were a given. My Maglite every time. The simplicity of the switch, no electronics=direct drive, the construction all contribute to a near guarantee light at the press of the button at anytime. For my use the only thing that would kill that light is neglected batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Thrunite Archer and TiS, Rayovac they are all tough reliable little lights...but because they employ electronics to active light, there is an unknown point of failure smaller than the eye can see that brings a little uncertainty.

ncgrass

Enlightened
Cheers Str8stroke,

I didn't think of component lights - I haven't had the chance to get into it yet. Makes great sense though and you've given me plenty of ideas for the future.

I have one bravo with a twist tail, and one with high/lo. It's my only tail twisty (have maratac AAA) and I quite like it. I will say I certainly don't like side switches any more but I love the magnet in the c1. Wouldn't trust it at all though.

I like the Elzetta Bravo beam pattern with the standard optic too. It's a solid light, great beam pattern if a bit on the cool side. Having said that, there's plenty of m61 modules to choose from!

I saw going to buy a lumintop tool, but given the great support or streamlight in here, I might change it to get streamlight microstream...

Lunchietey

Newly Enlightened
Eveready Dolphin Led.

42 hour run time, drop proof, sealed and floats. Good beam due to large reflector with room flooding spil and very cheap to own multiples. Has various battery options from 6v lantern battery, rechargeable sealed lead acid and also multi cell holders that drop in(so will almost run on anything)

Big chunky switch and internals and an incandescent version if necessary. Many of these are decades old and thrown into toolboxes etc and always work. Your kids can throw these things (literally) with no real damage. Angled reflector means you can aim it in various directions hands free to change tyres etc.

Lots of very bright lights but how many will still work in a flood, or if you drop it? How many will still light up after nearly a week of no power and are so cheap? Not to mention no dangers of lithium chargers.

Only downsides is they aren't pretty and are big but neither of those things bother me. If a bad situation came up and I could grab one light only, this would be it.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Elzetta is on top of my list. Malkoff drop-ins are great but they still rely on the body they're in. Next up is HDS. After that Surefire.

Latest posts