A question about rear signal/tail lamps

lespaul1021

Newly Enlightened
On my way into work this morning I was stuck behind a garbage truck which had it's right rear turn signal on , even though it was neither turning nor pulling over for more than a mile. This was actually less confusing than the two glaring white lights on the back of the truck which made me initially think the truck was reversing towards me as I came upon it. I believe they were leds because of the apparent color temperature and the very high output level even on an overcast morning . One was also noticeably more intense ( at least at the angle I was viewing from).

I gave him plenty of room since I didn't know if he was going to pull over or turn, on top of which he was driving all over the road with no regard for the lane markings.

I always thought that a white rear facing light was only illuminated when in reverse. Am I missing something? Are garbage trucks or vehicles which make frequent stops allowed different provisions?

It seemed as though he intentionally had his right turn signal on to notify drivers that he would stop frequently ( or he was unaware it was on). If it was purposely left on ,it was more confusing than anything because they were red and his taillights were also on , making it harder to tell if he was braking.

That coupled with everyone and their mother driving with fog lights illuminated on an overcast (but not at all foggy) morning is enough to drive one mad on his way to work.

-Brendan

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Lots of trucks and equipment have work lights on both ends. Some drivers don't care all that much about traffic laws (which in my state definitely say no white on the back of a forward moving vehicle), and they leave the work lights on while moving between jobs.

Be warned: Some of those garbage trucks have dual controls. I often see a normal driver's seat and wheel on the left, and a lower level standing driver's station on the right. Don't count on him seeing anything but the next trash pickup point.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sanitation workers have a dangerous job. Give them and their vehicles space.

Sure, if they're on a freeway/expressway and they have those white lights on the rear turned on, maybe take the vehicle's number and call the sanitation department or waste management company and let them know the driver leaves them on. But when they're doing their trash rounds in the neighborhoods and the leave the white lights on, it's just to help them get their jobs done safer. They're making frequent stops and repositions, and sometimes a crew member will leave the vehicle without notice, so they can get their job done and get home. Plan your travel on your neighborhood's "trash day" accordingly.

lespaul1021

Newly Enlightened
This was on a main route with 40+mph speed limits . It's not like they were doing garbage pickup for a neighborhood and left the lights on between stops , which is understandable. Perhaps he had turned off a side road at some point and left the lights and his turn signals on but it was a pretty rural area . I appreciate their job is difficult and dangerous which I would think is all the more reason to use your lights and signals properly so other drivers know what you're doing , making them safer.

I probably should have called the company as the driver was all over both sides of the road as well but I didn't think of it at the time.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
MOST states have a code/statute/law regarding having a white light visible ONLY while actually in reverse (other than the rear license plate light). Here in my area (southwest Idaho) we (I am a county deputy) enforce that code. However, just like Alaric said, if they are actually in the process of picking up the garbage, we cut them some much-needed slack. But conversely, if they are going down a road more than a hundred yards or so and still have those rear lights on......they get a talkin' to.
(Not really related, but kinda is ---my pet peeve is the paper delivery people driving on the wrong side of the road early in the morning. They pass out the newspapers using their driver's side window. They either go back and forth across both lanes, or just stay on the wrong side, so anyone driving the other way will have headlights on both sides of the road glaring at them. Many do it with their high-beams on, and when questioned, they say they have them on "so people will notice them...."(?)
We have had numerous crashes, some really bad, because of that. Idaho has a handful of laws about that.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was on a main route with 40+mph speed limits .
I probably should have called the company as the driver was all over both sides of the road as well but I didn't think of it at the time.
Yeah, that's slightly different.

I've read of a sanitation worker that died when a container of hydrofluoric acid he'd picked up burst in the back. Ouch. Or maybe it was a heart attack. Or he was drunk. Calling the company might help save a life.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Not really related, but kinda is ---my pet peeve is the paper delivery people driving on the wrong side of the road early in the morning. They pass out the newspapers using their driver's side window. They either go back and forth across both lanes, or just stay on the wrong side, so anyone driving the other way will have headlights on both sides of the road glaring at them. Many do it with their high-beams on, and when questioned, they say they have them on "so people will notice them...."(?)
We have had numerous crashes, some really bad, because of that. Idaho has a handful of laws about that.

Which is why RHD vehicles can be useful. Sadly, many of the RHD vehicles imported are not properly localized from LHT to RHT, so they have problems all their own. "Rightdrive.ca" is one importer that gets very low-mileage vehicles in but the only thing the attempt to do to fix the light situation is reaim them. Arrgghhh.

Back on topic-- if you, lespaul1021, happen to see the guy Monday doing his lights and weaving thing on a 40mph+ road (particularly the weaving!) call the company or maybe even the police-- he could be a danger to himself and others!

lespaul1021

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I was just trying to get to work safely myself but if I see the same vehicle again I will certainly notify the police as I am friendly with a couple of the officers in town from my work. I wouldn't want to see the results of a head on collision with a garbage truck and some poor guy like me just trying to get to work.