Review: Thorfire S50: XHP50, 2000 lumens, 650 meters, 2x18650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
After the S70 that I tested recently, the other S-member of Thorfire arrived. Like it's in his name, this light is powered by the powerful XHP-50 led. The S50 is the tactical member of the S-series and has its own interface, and a different beam compared to the S70. In this review I'll give you my opinion and the details about the S50, also compared to the S70 brother and a competitor.

another big Thorfire here
24faa1x.jpg

the S50 searchlight
nqrbiu.jpg

powered by a XHP-50 led
eracyc.jpg

suited for tactical use
1j71ck.jpg

a big searchlight
2gwc2ah.jpg

So, let's start, as usual, by looking at the description and the specs, given by Thorfire:

· The new ThorFire S50 flashlight emits an intense bright white beam of light that can be seen for miles. It has a beam distance of around 650 meters (2,133 feet).
· Designed for military, law enforcement and outdoor activities;
· This flashlight is designed to be shockproof and IPX8 waterproof, which means that it can be submersed down to two meters.
· The strobe function makes it ideal for emergency.
· Aircraft-grade aluminum gives it exceptional durability & protection against corrosion and heavy recoil resistance

Features:

· Emitter Type: Cree XHP-50
· Brightness: 55-2000Lm
· Power Source: 2 * 18650 Batteries
· 5 (Low-Mid-High-Turbo-Strobe-)
· IPX8 Water Resistant & Shockproof
· Rugged Aluminum Alloy Build
· Product Weight: 450g (Exclude the battery)
· Maximum Runtime of 60 Hours at Low Output; runs on Medium for 12 Hours and on High for 3.75 Hours

And the output specs: (with a typo of Thorfire at the max. distance)

2n9ke3n.jpg

NOTE: the S50 has a stepdown from Turbo to High after 3 minuten continuous use, and a stepdown from High to Mid after half an hour continuous use.

Unboxing:

Good to see here again that it seems Thorfire has banned out the week cartons. The sturdy, carton box the S50 comes in, isn't still an eye catcher, but a neat carton. Inside, the S50 is protected by foam, and like we often see at Thorfire packages, we find a bunch of spare parts, including a lens and colored spare buttons. Strange fact is that a lanyard / strap is missing. Also I would like to see a holster included. So, I'm happy with the looks and feels of the package, but there are some (important) accessories missing.

Thorfire has improved the build-quality of their boxes
97se81.jpg

the S50 is protected against damage
w1b6sm.jpg

the contents: a lot of spare parts but no strap/lanyard or holster
ml1001.jpg

Impressions:

The S50 has the same length as the S70, but has a smaller head and tube. That is why it looks (for me) less impressive that the big brother. But still, this is a big torch. Like we are used of Thorfires, the S50 feels solid, some heavy but well built. Used materials are of good quality, finishing and anodizing are well done. The clear lens (that isn't coated) cover the flawless "orange-peel" reflector and the well-centered XHP-50 led. Around the led I detected some specks, not a big problem for the output, but this finishing could be better. During unscrewing the tailcap, its noticeable that the thread aren't greased. Better to do it yourselves and strongly recommended. Same story while screwing the lights' head off. By the way, the threads are well-machined. Except some solder rests at the spring inside the head, the light's inner is also well finished. Summarizing: Again a well-built and finished Thorfire here, with a few details on the finishing that the manufacturer has to take care off. The pictures below show more details and impressions!

the Thorfire S50, made for searching
dgtpc.jpg

a long and big head

v680eu.jpg

a large and deep textured reflector and a well-centered XHP-50 led
2a7dcn6.jpg

a rather heavy head, therefore not perfectly balanced
erfpg6.jpg

nice looks and details
efougk.jpg

tailstanding is not stable due to the small tube and the big head
2lwstp4.jpg

engraving well done
5xjwp.jpg

the tactical ring with lanyard holes, but where is the strap?
5bxzth.jpg

well machined…..
szbsc8.jpg

and finished
2butyq.jpg

and quality-parts used
5n7w52.jpg

a close-up shows some specks around the led
219b0x5.jpg

the light in three parts with recommended cells
dwudya.jpg

a look into the lights' head. Mind to grease the threads!
6du13k.jpg

together with the S70-brother, that runs both on 26650 and 18650 cells
5ovbq1.jpg

a big versus an impressive head, XHP-50 versus XHP-70 led
vovcpw.jpg

User interface:

The S50 has a long tube and a big, some heavy head. But thanks also to the tactical ring and the good grip it is quite easy to handle with. The light needs to be controlled the "tactical-way", by using your thumb. Of course, a two-handed operation is also possible…

First thing I mentioned when I had my hands-on, is the lack of momentary on. Really a pity, and not only for me. This is needed on light like this!
A full click will turn the S50 on (and off); when on, tap the button for desired mode. The S50 hasn't memory mode and starts always at low. This means (from off) that you always need one click and three taps to enter turbo-mode. I really hope Thorfire will fix/improve this issue in future! A quick double-tap (only when on) will bring strobe. Despite this interface technical works without problems, it will not get my favorite.

Modes:

The S50 offer in total four normal modes, in order off: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The spacing between the four is good, but I miss a lower mode. There are lots of situations that you need a lower mode for, and it will bring longer runtimes too. One special mode found at the S50: STROBE. No instant modes at this torch. You can UNLOCK the S50 by releasing the cap a bit.

Size comparison:

Only XHP-powered lights in this comparison here: A direct competitor, the Nitecore EA81 (that has the same led) and the S70-brother (with XHP-70) shown side-by-side here.

Nitecore EA81, Thorfire S50 and Thorfire S70
ny6v5u.jpg

2jc5xes.jpg

2ce6w7d.jpg

the heads: XHP-50 (warmer tint), XHP-50 (cooler tint) and XHP-70
25zkzrc.jpg

and the tails: Nitecore EA81, Thorfire S50 and Thorfire S70
2i7yant.jpg

Beamprofile:

The beam shows that the S50 isn't a real thrower. It has, thanks to the reflector a big hotspot, a clearly visible corona, but also a nice smooth beam. So, let's say, a nice and usable beam at mid-range. To be honest, I expected some more throw out of this deep reflector in combination with this led. No PWM detected at any mode, good point here!

Tint:

The S50 has a coolwhite tint, in contrast to the S70 with XHP-70 and the Nitecore EA81 (that's powered by the same bulb). In the spill you see slight blue/purple, like we also often see at XM-L2 leds.

30jgxg5.jpg

Beamshots:

Let's start here by showing the S50's output-modes projected on a white wall at a distance of about 1 meter, followed by a GIF.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
jjsmx2.jpg

2up3alh.jpg

x6ioah.jpg

5d483l.jpg

GIF-picture
2s7v2gp.jpg

Now, the outdoor shots. First, the four output modes followed by a GIF.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
dc3a5j.jpg

2dag9s9.jpg

14j9ld0.jpg

335gshe.jpg

GIF-picture
ev9n9w.jpg

Now, a comparison at the same location to the Thorfire S70. This shows the narrower beam of the S50 and the impressive total output of the S70.

The Thorfire S50 compared to the S70-brother
2llbmnk.jpg

Another location. The trees are about 175 meters away. This picture shows the Nitecore EA81 throws out the S50, but the S50 has a nicer and more usable beam.

the Thorfire S50 compared the Nitecore EA81
25ytzyp.jpg

Conclusion:

The Thorfire S50 is a good searchlight for a competitive price. It's worth its value. Good points of this light are the good build-quality and the nice smooth beam. A good point here: This is the first light (that I had my hands-on) powered by XHP-50 that hasn't a black "cross" in beam. Although it lights up a big area, the S50 doesn't reach the promised distance. An important thing I'd like to see improved is the interface: memory for last uses mode and some instant modes. Also a better low is on my wishlist, as well as a lanyard.

Summarizing I can tell that I like both Thorfire S-members, that both are good lights for less bucks. But of these two, the impressive S70 has my preference!

- Thorfire S50 provided for review -

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Not bad looking lights for the money,as you said. Even at 350 that light some decent throw. Do they stay pretty cool on high?