Light bars for a SUV (Subaru Forester)?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Why do you want to add extra lights, what is the goal? When and where (and in what traffic/weather/road conditions) do you want to put more light? Keep in mind that homemade lamps are a non-starter for any roadgoing vehicle.

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
Why do you want to add extra lights, what is the goal? When and where (and in what traffic/weather/road conditions) do you want to put more light? Keep in mind that homemade lamps are a non-starter for any roadgoing vehicle.

Why are home made lamps a non-starter when you have regular lamps as backup? They will be on at the same time.

Purpose? I dunno just having fun. Would be fun to light up the woods or a cliff at night. I'm not a rally racer. The most dangerous thing I do is drive on mountain roads and most of the time you can't even put your high beams on because it blinds opposing traffic.

My Subaru Forester is a 170 hp CVT... not exactly racing material.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Why are home made lamps a non-starter

Because roadways are public, and vehicle lights, being safety equipment, are legally regulated in detail as to their design, construction, operation, performance, and durability -- and this applies even to lights that aren't required, such as auxiliary lights. The specs and requirements are rigorous and require a great deal of specialized knowledge and equipment to meet and test. You can't just throw something together and declare it's whatever kind of light you want it to be.

Purpose? I dunno just having fun.

It's fun to play with lights, yes. That kind of fun has to be confined to lights that can't affect the safety of others. Obviously nobody can reach through the internet and stop you from doing whatever you're going to do, but Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating/discussing illegal or dangerous activities...including homemade car lights.

you can't even put your high beams on because it blinds opposing traffic

Right...and the same applies to the auxiliary lamps you have in mind to build.