Recommend a keychain light for me.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new keychain light. The AAA lights are larger than what I want on my keys. The Surefire Sidekick looks amazing but it's also too big. I used a Streamlight Nano for a while but the batteries are hard to find, don't last long and cost $5 for the 4 it requires. Also, the head backed off and got lost a couple times. The plastic squeeze lights like the Inova always break where they attach to the ring.

It doesn't need to be super bright as I alwAys carry a larger light.
suggestions?

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive looked into those. I don't care much for the idea of having to charge it, but as cheap as they are, I could just get two and rotate them out with one on the charger all the time.
Its not about having to charge it but being able to charge it!
It is about perfect as a keychain light because you don't need to feed it batteries and it does not take long to charge either.

The only downside for me is that it comes on in pocket a lot but I do carry way more crap in pocket than almost anyone that I know.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a new keychain light. The AAA lights are larger than what I want on my keys. The Surefire Sidekick looks amazing but it's also too big. I used a Streamlight Nano for a while but the batteries are hard to find, don't last long and cost $5 for the 4 it requires. Also, the head backed off and got lost a couple times. The plastic squeeze lights like the Inova always break where they attach to the ring.

It doesn't need to be super bright as I alwAys carry a larger light.
suggestions?
I agree... I carried a nano for almost a year, and probably ran it for five minutes in total, because I didn't want to run the batteries down (God forbid I should NEED them, and have them half depleted.)
A HUGH upgrade was to get a DQG AAA mini in stainless steel, @ 2 1/4 inches... 57 mm long. Touted to be the smallest AAA light. 3 and 60 lumens in NW tint. It will now support a 10440 LiIon battery and put out (I am guessing) 120 lumens on high.

Now I EDC a stainless CooYoo with a built in micro USB port for recharging its little 10180 battery that will also put out 120 lumens.

For sizing... Left to right:

Nano, AAA battery, Stainless CooYoo, Stainless DQG AAA mini, Stainless SingFire BLF-348 (single AAA)
N9HYdNKBYun2RCWlJbbvfBTTG1pltAGQc8MoBQI26r8YEOEqrDGTn_ysob7TmD7BsTW4vX-RcJK2wsc1ps8ehEoTLSfmkkx6FrxI2mKgMAptzV4JEAd4SLDqQUzCYpari8OEEU_jDxsOB0PMnKkpezaexJ7bqwVMKMuwkFDXP6mBvgK_SCPIwAM8tQnKn9_yrzSpXVaRHfypT_vN6SZMJ5H80v6RLX1HoDGcJ2zH-BAQMPXgnHqDK54MRcL3XNgVh2Zc8puPOnxN1Fx5wPN2umAjeoTdyCaJGd2MpW7H0nJ4xjOZC_ZowYDC-NPHfg5VyYiqZaee9edKwSQ3UdAjhBwi1Vi_HXn1yPYzspvAOuqzoA2Ci5s3CKujLb-PqBnv0lQf-RpUb6BC6OqfGXG_g5B83gHp4AbyVeR7Sk2u5Y8ohEEOQZ5ggou4XJW-XjRPQNXmo0M8TafCRyQ7yvesBtpn0ZEi5xoMn6cKsNW9Cz3VBYAcPnDHzDWrdhbh9szYRVnlHfU8sSFh3Fr7fgg8s2ma0jphttLp_3lo8qVWqL-1rSjMjJBaKaE7bU7Ylx5XPJ63=w1034-h775-no

akhyar

Enlightened
...+1^

Oh, it's the light I EDC.

+2.
I have them in blue and pink for me and my missus.

Bought them for 6 bucks a pop including shipping from China when they were on sale.
The OP can try some of the popular China online retailers like BG, GB, FT if he's willing to wait or just pay 10 bucks a piece from any US online stores.

I also carry CooYoo Quantum in stainless steel, but the weight and simpler UI makes me always choose the cheaper Tube

1DaveN

Enlightened
I could have sworn I posted this last night - must have been dreaming. Anyway, I've been using a Factor Equipment Ghost 130 for the last couple of weeks, and really like it. It's got the OP's objection - rechargeable only - but I've got chargers in the car, home and work desks, etc. It's a great size, and I like the stainless steel because I really don't like beat up anodizing, and I've always got pockets full of junk.

ven

Flashaholic
Over the last few years i have gone through DGQ spy, e05ss, HOBI, tube and quantum. Hands down for me the quantum due to size,material(stainless) and built in USB which charges at just over 0.1a.

The spy is fine, nice light but the threads dont inspire confidence long term, nor does the soft washer for the modes. Hobi similar and the e05ss is just a bit too big/heavy for car key use. The tube is OK for the money, but for me feels cheap and does not give long term confidence(personal opinion as had one fail for no reason........but it is cheap). Accidental activation had occurred a couple of times, PWM ..........dont like the position of the LED glaring up either.

Quantum is small enough, handy for just plugging in to my ps4 charger lead to top off, no real weight on car keys for me and a noticeable feel between low/high modes unlike the spy/hobi. The optics do produce a usable beam of around 100lm............more than enough for my car key edc uses. Still looks like new where as the lumintop tool(none vinh) looked like it took an acid bath after a month!. Maybe my OCD, but scruffy lights on my keys annoy me :laughing:
TUBE/Quantum/HOBI/Spy/Fairy

ven

Flashaholic
which tool have you got, the black one?

Yes had the black one kreisl, the ano is quite poor for key ring type uses, it was gifted at work a while back and still in use now. Was replaced with a TiS for my work keys. In fairness if on my work keys, they get battered, lots of big heavy keys shoved in pockets and dropped regular. There is still one in the house though as Vinh sent my little one a TOOLvn as a gift, he loves it!

Yep a fully fledged mini flashaholic!

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info, photos, and sharing, thanks!

I am certainly super happy with 10440 in K18 stainless steel :)

ven

Flashaholic
Welcome:)

Just had a quick google and that k18 SS looks a very nice light! ~360lm on 10440 fuel, very impressive! and no doubt a nice hand warmer. Brass version looks :cool: as well.